Writing for the Screen

Discussion in 'Archives' started by parabola, Jul 11, 2014.

?

Have you ever written a screenplay?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. Thought About It

50.0%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ew, why would I want to do that?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. parabola Destiny Islands Resident

I never really found the right outlet for writing until March of last year, when I started screenwriting. I find it really rewarding and it comes pretty naturally, all things considered, but even though I know lots of fellow writers, I don't personally know anyone who's written a screenplay or even seems to have much interest in doing so. In that spirit, I'm wondering if anyone here has written or considered writing a screenplay, and if they'd be willing to share tips, experiences, or even scripts. I myself have just started an action/comedy/zombie script, and perhaps could use a bit of guidance. Thanks!

2. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

I have never actually done a screenplay, but I think about it a lot. My style of writing tends to be minimalizing. I have a hard time with detailed descriptions that last forever and a day [[ often times when I read and there is tons of description with nothing going on, I'll skim through until something happens ]] and am more dialogue oriented. I've been told by several people that I should give screenwriting a shot since it requires significantly less background description, but have never actually gone forth with it. This mostly has to do with the fact that it is entirely different form of writing and there is the fear of doing it wrong. I would like to give it a shot in the near future, but have yet to actually embark on such a journey.

3. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Scriptwriting has always had a place in the back of my head. No surprise since I want to be a game designer—Most of the writing in that field is in script form. The unfortunate thing is that there are so many resources, samples, and references on how to write prose or verse, but comparatively next-to-nothing on scripts, at least from what I've seen. It's hard to even get an authentic script from a movie or TV show, even more so design documents from video games.

4. Krowley Moderator

I've always favored dialogue over descriptions when it came to writing. (Like Hygue mentioned above) Most of the conversations play like they're televised in my head anyways. So I always considered whether or not I actually wanted to make a screenplay since the page to time ration is roughly 1 minute per page depending on the flow of the script reading.

5. parabola Destiny Islands Resident

So I'm not an expert, but a couple notes from what I've learned:

Absolutely, give it a shot; as for fear of failure, the only way you can be sure you won't succeed is if you don't try. A note on description, though: it is generally true that people who struggle with description (particularly elaborate description) will find screenwriting a less difficult/not impossible process. However, writing action (by which I mean almost anything that isn't dialogue) is challenging and intense work; the writing has to feel like watching a movie, giving off the essence of the scene rather than every single detail. However, this rule isn't hard and fast. Anyone who says "don't direct with the script" is the enemy. If the visuals, camera angle or character placement is important, it needs to be in the script.

Word. Often, you'll find second or incomplete drafts of movies rather than the final draft. However, they can still be a valuable resource. Here's a decent resource for screenplays: http://www.dailyscript.com/

And here's a great podcast by a couple of screenwriters, which I've found enjoyable and at times therapeutic: http://johnaugust.com/scriptnotes

I feel you up until that last sentence. This is a myth created by Final Draft. While it is true that feature scripts should be between roughly 95 and 125 pages, that too is an arbitrary rubric. I think the page-per-minute rule has just become a popular idea because it makes screenplays seem way simpler and easier than they are. For instance, with a script I've been reading recently (X2: X-Men United) the page-count-to-screen-time comparison is 25 minutes off, about a fifth of the movie's length.

Also, if anyone is looking for screenwriting software, Highland is available on the App Store for $30, and Celtx is available for free as long as you have an internet connection.