Writers' strike

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by O R A N G E, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O R A N G E C is the heavenly option

between an erupting earth and an exploding sky
    Alright, we all know what's happening.

Our favorite shows are being postponed becuase Hollywood writers are going on strike.

Do you think this will last as long as the previous writers' strikes, which each lasted 5 months and caused companies to lose about 10% of their audiences?

Do you think what the writers are negotiating for is reasonable?

[If you don't know what I'm talking about, go here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Writers_Guild_of_America_strike ]

2. Repliku Chaser

I guess I'm really torn on whether it's right or not.

Strikes often really cripple many people and not just the targeted ones. I am not someone that depends on TV to survive or anything but if I were a writer to a TV show, I'd think of what the impact could be to those people who do watch and enjoy what they see. People don't always realize all the work that the writers do so in some regards they get shafted because the actors get the credit mainly. We 'see' them. However, if a script really blows, then people blame the writers. It's not a very fair balance.

I do understand why they are doing this strike but I consider the timing to be rather vicious. People like Seth McFarlane...he's probably their strongest voice really, make an impact since he is both a producer and a writer. I do see how it seems the writers were shafted out of a good deal of money and don't want a repeat of it and the deal is a legitimate one. I hope that their request will be met because I can say if I have the option of watching something on my computer or other device, as Adult Swim actually airs 'total' programs, I would never bother with a TV again, except to play video games on.

I just don't understand why Teamsters is getting involved and causing a scene where they try to force people around etc. I do not like 'hostile' picketing and that is what Teamsters stepping in is somewhat making it. Protesting is legal and definitely righteously so long as it is peaceful but if people want to cross a line, you shouldn't be able to try to hold them up by making them go a long way around etc. It reminds me of these stupid people protesting that laid in the street so that many people including me could not get to work on time etc. I had to get explain to my boss why I'm late and at first he didn't believe me until I walked him in the break room and pointed out the incident on the news. If you tick off the people, you make them more adamant in stance. Hostile protests just irritate me every time I see them and others get annoyed as well. Teamsters has a nasty reputation as it is and the writers' guild would be better to send them and their mafia like tactics home.

3. The Great Gatz Chaser

ugh. I hope this doesn't make everything fail >__< Cause I know a few shows were doing reruns.

4. O R A N G E C is the heavenly option

Yeah. Imma Die without Heroes.

But at least South Park isn't affected.

But Colbert and SNL are >.<

I read an article in my paper about how it could kill soap operas forever, and I WOULDN'T complain about that. XD

5. Nailpolish <3 Hollow Bastion Committee

lol I saw this long time ago. since I love tv too much. I'm just sad that there is no more grey's anatomy =/

6. Repliku Chaser

It'll be over sometime soon. I can't imagine that this will go on that long. As I said before, they do have a lot to think about and this affects so many people so if it goes on for that long a time and both are stubborn, something will happen to change. I guess for a season we all just suffer through it and hope rational decision will prevail sooner or later.

7. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I remember seeing various celebrities on the picket lines. Jay Leno was handing out donuts, John Stamos was holding a sign, sure there were others.

But this thing can't go on forever especially with the holiday season coming up. People will get fed up with the companies when they don't see their favorite shows like Grey's Anatomy or the Colbert Report. I can understand their point but it has to conclude somehow.

8. O R A N G E C is the heavenly option

Their contracts expire in June and that's when negotiations are expected to go back on the table.

Which sucks for us.

9. Crumpet In your shadow, I can shine!

when did that come in

10. O R A N G E C is the heavenly option

What exactly are you talking about?

Please be clear or at least quote what you're referencing or else I can't answer your questions.

11. Flamedancer Twilight Town Denizen

I think that the writer's strike is terrible, not because I'm sad that there won't be new shows, but because one of my friend's dad is a make-up artist on CSI, but now he's out of work, and her mom is a stay-at-home mom. It just sucks.

12. Cherry Berry Chaser

Urgh! Why now, of all the possible timings??
    I guess its goodbye to Ugly betty for a while then... T-T

13. O R A N G E C is the heavenly option

I thought the shows were filming what has already been written still? He should still be working, at least for now, and once its over he should get his job back, unless CSI completely fails becuase of the strike. CSI is immensely successful though, so he should be back in work soon.

14. kaseykockroach Hollow Bastion Committee

IMO, The animation industry could use a strike like this. Get some stuff with integrity made again. :)

15. O R A N G E C is the heavenly option

What does that mean?

It sounds like you're implying that the strike will make shows have better plot lines and make more sense, which isn't exactly the case. The writers themselves won't change once it's over, they'll just be paid more.

16. kaseykockroach Hollow Bastion Committee

This was a reference to a very ignorant friend of mine. ;)
    Since he's not a member here(thank goodness) I was curious as to what people thought of his odd opinion.
    Personally, I don't know enough on the situation to make an opinion. :(

17. Radiusro Gummi Ship Junkie

Well that's stupid.

18. kaseykockroach Hollow Bastion Committee

Tell me about it. Lol
    Anyways, I'm only aware of Seth MacFarlane joining this strike, which is technicially a really stupid thing to do. But at least its Family Guy we're losing here. :D
    Kidding....

19. kingdom945 Banned

Jeromeykins will always be my darrellcake. &lt;3
    I don't understand as to why this is all happening. I really do think it's kinda stupid that the writers are going on strike. I NEED MY GREY'S ANATOMY EVERY THURSDAYYYYY! just kidding. But I miss a bunch of the shows. although, I'm not sure heroes isn't running. I thought it was. I coulda swore I saw a commercial for it last friday. It said the upcoming show was about Hayden, (the blond chick) and she was throwing her father's ashes into the ocean. so... idk.

20. micketymike Twilight Town Denizen

I'd tell you but then youed never leave me alone
    the thing it the writers do deserve better pay they do the most work and are ignoed but on the other hand strikes are a bad thing for us and the economy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.