Would you attend a World Religious Class?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Repliku, Jul 9, 2008.

?

Would you consider taking a world religious class in High School?

1. Hell no, it is against my religion to study other religions.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. No because I'm just not interested in it.

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. Maybe, it depends on how it is presented.

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  4. Yes, I have an interest to understand other cultures and beliefs and learn more on my own religion.

20 vote(s)
    57.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Repliku Chaser

The question is one that with all the animosity lately pertaining to religions prompts me to be curious as to the minds of students now. Since there are people who are religious and also not religious, following various religious sorts, I have wondered if a World Religions class in school might be something students might want to take in High School were it an actual option. Since in college it is offered and people enjoy it and get a feel of various religions and beliefs, and also philosophy is taught, I figured it would be a good idea.

The idea often gets trashed by politicians and others who are very religious because they don't want a class to teach about 'other' religions than the predominant one, but it is in my feelings that teaching people of religions could help them to better understand other groups. There are divisions in Christianity that people instill and even say are bad. This would also help people understand Islam which is widely debated and called a 'terrorist' belief, and it wouldn't hurt to comprehend Hindu or Buddhism, Wiccan etc either. The way it was presented to me in college as I've taken a few courses in it was that people of the actual beliefs even could present material where books were lacking.

So, what are your feelings on it as it would be able to present things like Creationism and other topics that are not really belonging elsewhere and lets the students decide? It would also present a history on the religious beliefs around the world and be truthful touching on various topics.

2. Ashwa <3 Hollow Bastion Committee

I've always wanted to learn about other religions so I think I would. I've never really understood all the religions before and learing all the aspects to them seems kinda interesting to me.

3. Shift Chaser

I don't see anything bad at learning about other religions.
    Unless,of course,is against your own.
    I already have a "class" about my own at school.

4. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

I think that if everyone when at school was able to learn about all of the major religions there would be a lot more atheists in the world. An example being Richard Dawkins, he was brought as Anglican and was a regular church attender. Then he reached high school and discovered that there were many more religions in the world besides his own. He is now a leading and outspoken atheist.

Really, religious parents and leaders should not be worried about children learning about other religions. If their belief and "faith" (LOL) is strong enough, there is nothing to fear. Unfortunately, most people would drop their faith in an instant =] (well, it would be a win for logic and sense >_>)

I would love to learn about other religions in detail. A lot of them offer great pieces of literature which can appreciated much better without the religious side.

There is also the needing to know your enemy to defeat it ;)

5. Imiko Destiny Islands Resident

Personally I have nothing against the other religions, and would like to learn more, but I just don't think I'd sit there and listen while wasting my life on that when I could be doing other things. I'd like to learn, but not THAT much.

So are you saying you have an enemy religion? I don't think that's something very respectful to say towards other people. It's almost like your saying Genocide here.

6. MadDoctorMaddie I'm a doctor, not a custom title!

Our school system already makes us study religion, so I voted yes...

7. Xegreny Kingdom Keeper

Yeah. I'd personally think it'd be great to learn about other religions. The only religion I know much about would be Christianity.

Anyway, Bunterx, I don't really get how you think there'd be more Atheists in the world because of this. .-.

So, the kids learn there's more than one religion. A fact that they probably already knew. Does this mean they turn Atheist?

8. Marluxia13579 Twilight Town Denizen

I already took one... and got an A!

I think they're a good idea. Personally, I'm agnostic (used to be atheist, not so sure now), but I still think they're important, if only if they help you learn about new cultures. Lack of education on matters such as religion breeds racism and ignorance. They're only beneficial if they're completely unbiased, however; what I really have a problem with are classes that only teach students about one religion, thereby attempting to indoctrinate them. >.> It's so, so important to question everything, and religion is no exception. These classes (if well organised) can help with this.

9. Repliku Chaser

I can see kind of what you are saying, Bunterx, but at the same time I feel it would actually teach students to accept others and have more tolerance of religion or Atheism or core beliefs and also let someone see what else is out there if they do not have a preference but feel 'forced' to believe in something. It can also help people feel their religion is definitely the one for them. So, I think it will have mixed results and as someone said, if they believe in a religion, learning others won't shake their faith really but open up understanding so that the rumor mills about religions stop, or atheism for that matter. It educates people and lets kids have the power to learn, get some acceptance and give it back. Also for those who are agnostic, or feel pressured, it lets them find their feelings more and children would not just be fed one thing and ignorantly say rumors or prejudiced things about other people's beliefs etc.

10. Haseo Knight of Light

I chose maybe. Learning about other religions help you learn about the culture of other countries, and erases most prejudice about other religions. I think my high school, which I'm not at yet, has a class for this. I'm not sure though.

11. Vex123 Traverse Town Homebody

Actually, it's recommended in my religion to learn about cultures and ways of life different than your own, and to respect as religions, whether they may have truth or not. And, I, myself, enjoy learning about other ways of life than the ones I already know. If my school had a class like that I would gladly take it, and it would probably help me become closer to my own religion. I especially would make other people take it to remove any stereotypes they thought were true. (Like Islam's beliefs being called terrorist.>.< Our true beliefs are to respect other religions and not to kill unless your very life is in danger and it is the only way to avoid it. Also not to commit suicide and to cherish your life.) And I also don't see how logical it is for politicians to not let other people learn about other religions because they fear they might convert. I thought people had a right protected by international law called "free will." Different religions are very interesting, as some of them come with epic tales and such like Hinduism. And I think Americans would benefit from the peace-teaching examples of Buddhism. I really don't see anything wrong with these classes at all.

12. Mirai King's Apprentice

I have no idea how many times I've been called a Satan worshipper.

It's atheism! Not Satan worshipping! There's a *bleep*ing difference!

Okay, but, seriously, I think religious classes would be great, depending on how they're handled. All religions, according to my belief system, are equally wrong and equally right. THat is how it should be handled. All religions should be treated the same in this class. No "Christianity>Islam/Buddhism/Judaism" or any of that. Our forefathers laid down this nation (America, can't speak for England or any others) as a secular society on paper, where all religions can get all along and none is put over the other. Unfortunately, many people forget that the Establishment Clause ("Congress may make no laws respecting an established religion or prohibiting the free excersize thereof.").

So, yeah. I think it's fine as long as ALL (Christianity, Atheism, Islam, Buddhism, the works) are EQUAL.

13. Marluxia13579 Twilight Town Denizen

You were actually called a Satan worshipper? That's outrageous...and slightly worrying. Whoever said that must've been ignorant in the extreme.

14. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

My sister took a world religions class last year. It's a good way to learn about other cultures (obviously). It clears up a lot of the stereotypes and it's apparently a pretty fun class. I want to take it if I have an extra spot for a class.

15. daxma Hei Long: Unrivalled under the Heavens

No i would not.Religion is one of the base division in the world.I respect the people that express their religion but i would never follow a religion.I have my own phlosophy and i don't need a religion to tell me my views on what the world was and should be.

16. Mirai King's Apprentice

Yeah, they were.

I've noticed something odd. The Christians who try their hardest to claim God's glory (not all, just the fundies) are usually the ones to forget Jesus' sermons. XD It actually is quite ironic. One time, a group of friends were talking about how hard it is to steal from a certain store. Ten minutes, they tried to tell me that I'm going to Hell. I mean, what the hell (pun intended)?

That's the problem that I have with many Christians. They're so wrapped in the cross and sacrifice and they foret what the man said.

17. Marluxia13579 Twilight Town Denizen

This is true. I mean, Jesus promoted acceptance of all people, especially sinners, and yet you hear Christian fundamentalists condemning homosexuals. It's ridiculous. Many supposedly religious people pick and choose which teachings they'll obey. It's the same with religious violence, seeing as violence is pretty much universally condemned by most world religions.

18. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

I don't think it's against any religion to study other religions. I think conclusions like that are drawn from misinterpretations of religious texts. I see nothing wrong in attending a world religions class, depending on how it's presented.

I can see what you're saying here, but your wording is far from ideal. No one in this thread has bashed atheism, so don't bash theism.

19. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

The problem is, most people who are brought up religious are brought up that they are right, everyone else is wrong and nothing will change their minds. If this mindset can be changed then I can see this class as being a great success and really healing the divides between and even within the major religions.

Unfortunately (apart from the religion Vex123 stated), a lot of religions teach or rather breed close-mindedness and almost xenophobia.

Also, if theist tell me that I'm going to go to hell then I am allowed to point out the obvious flaws in their behaviour and ideals. And yes, I know Ghandi's teaching of "An eye for an eye and the world goes blind". But I'm just sick of it >_>

Also, I don't have an "enemy" religion. I just dislike seeing how crippling religion has been to humanity. And it hardly promotes genocide >:

20. Repliku Chaser

I get what is meant and yes, as an Atheist and also having explored Buddhism and Daoism, I have been called a satanist or yelled at that I'm going to hell too. It is very frustrating. I've explored about everything out there and I think, despite not believing in any religion, it's made me a better person so that I do know what people are talking about, etc. There are certain groups of people that annoy me but I don't just condemn a ton of people for beliefs because I have learned about them more and can now judge better.

I suppose though that is one of the reasons I'd want this class taught though. Aren't people kind of sick of being mocked for their personal choice in whether they believe in -any- religion or not? Teens are expected to be mature enough to drive at 16. They can get work at 16. They can also choose to have relationships at 16 (though some have them earlier of course) and people accept it most if at 16 they choose to date etc. At 18 they can choose to vote and work full time etc. Some kids, whether religious or not, get mocked and picked on. I've seen it get so bad that some Christians pick on other Christians and say they aren't 'Christian' enough or out right say they are fake. I've seen Hindu followers, Islamic followers and Buddhists get teased and told they are going to Hell and heard some Islamic followers say the same etc.

I do think -all- major religions should be taught in the class, presented basically as it was to me in college which was refreshing. It did not change my religious views, but it did definitely help me to comprehend more and remove stereotypes of various religious followers. It also helped me see why some people choose the religions they do and that still, despite being religious people or having a lack of religion, it showed me that people still are 'people' and we are more than just our religious beliefs. I don't think any one religion in the class should be the 'focal' point religion and they all should be reviewed, and even though Atheism is not a religion, it should also be touched on, as well as Agnostics. It could really broaden people's minds.

If it were implemented, I think it should be a voluntary class to attend and not forced, but it would help to dismiss prejudice and let people not only get a taste of what is out there, but also show more detail into the cultures where the religions are strongest. It could help students with history too so they can comprehend the mindsets of some leaders etc we read about. To me, the class would make it so our young don't grow up like some of the baby boomers and older generations that shout out such nonsense about people who don't believe in the same thing going to Hell, etc, or actually stop 'fear' of other beliefs because some people really do get taught and/or feel people aren't 'people' if they don't follow what they do. Also, it gives teens the right to explore their own feelings and all and make them less naive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.