Would appreciate some honest advice.

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by Glen, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Glen Returned from the dead

Okay, I'll get straight to the point here, I guess.

For personal reasons I would rather not reveal here, I am in dire need of $4000 or so. I'm not asking anyone for it, I could not and would not ever do that, what I AM asking for is advice on the best places to sell used videogames and/or consoles, but more importantly...

I haven't had a job in a couple of years, and at nearly 21 with little to no work experience, things aren't looking good for me as a potential employee. It's upsetting me a little, but the fact it's prolonging my goal upsets me further, and I'm seriously looking to change it. What could I do to make me a more attractive employee, given I have very little work experience and struggle a bit with talking to people irl?

2. Patman Bof

I don' t think your lack of experience will be that much of a problem at such a methusalemic age as 21. ^^''

I' ve been in the same tough spot, twice. If you know someone who can lend you a room in a bigger town with more job opportunities you might want to consider that. Worked for me.

You might also want to consider interim jobs. Interim recruiters won' t give a damn about your lack of experience. As long as you keep asking them if they have something for you, daily and early, they' ll see for themselves that you' re willing and able and they' ll give you something eventually. It' s a nice way to rack experience in a lot of areas (and a bit of money) real fast.

3. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

If he's American, yeah, it will. There are no jobs left, there won't be more jobs anytime soon, and nobody's looking to take a chance on somebody with no experience. Which is why, Wigglz, if you desperately need the money and have a college degree I'd recommend trying to find work overseas. It's just the best way to go right now. If it sounds intimidating, just remember how absurdly inflated our medical bills are and the fact that many countries out there will pay for your room & board and for you to learn their language, just so you can get a managerial position with no experience. You think I'm kidding? Check out that first link.

4. Misty gimme kiss

If you have a lot of old stuff to sell, I've made decent money off of eBay before. It'll hardly net you $4000, but every little bit helps. My mom has turned this into a sort of second income for herself; she has rather an eye for antiques, so she'll go to secondhand shops, buy things, then sell them on eBay for a profit. It's no day job but it helps pay the bills.

Otherwise, with little work experience and no trade-related skills (you could have some! you just didn't specify in your OP so I'll assume not), jobs in retail or food service are probably your only options. They're not necessarily bad jobs and they do pay, albeit minimum wage, but they are useful for building job experience. You could also consider looking at sites that pay you for things like transcribing if you're more of a solo worker. Amazon has a program to do this, I've never used it personally but I've read a bit about it. Each job doesn't pay much but again, every little bit counts.

Depending on what you need the money for and how your credit is, you could look at taking out a loan. However, I doubt a bank would lend to you if you're unemployed, and that's a dangerous path to start on. If your situation allows it, you might try to get a parent to cosign.

5. Glen Returned from the dead

Did some calculations and I don't actually need $4000, if I were to book a flight a few months in advance it seems to get as low as $1800 or so, so if I get $2500 it should be enough, for anyone that's actually taking something like that into consideration. Just for the record, I am Australian too :P

6. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Ah welp that knocks out my advice :'D Hope it goes well for you though, whatever you decide to do.