Kingdom Hearts III Will Kingdom Hearts III Have More than 1 or 2 Playable Characters?

Discussion in 'General & Upcoming Kingdom Hearts' started by Neku_Sakuraba, Nov 10, 2012.

?

Who Will Be Playable?

1. Sora

14 vote(s)
    93.3%
  2. Riku

13 vote(s)
    86.7%
  3. Kairi

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  4. Axel

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  5. Aqua

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  6. Ventus

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  7. Mickey

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  8. Terra?

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  9. Xehanort?!

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  10. Some new character, idk

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  11. Finn the Human! Now I'm just trolling around...

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Neku_Sakuraba Gummi Ship Junkie

Think about it.

7 lights = 7 playable characters?

Maybe with their own stories/path like Birth by Sleep? That'd be the BEST GAME EVER!

2. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Hmm, I don't know. As much as I loved BBS and KH3D with their multiple playable characters, I think it's best to keep playing as Sora with Donald and Goofy by his side for KH3. But if you get to play some other characters for a bit like Roxas (and Riku+King Mickey to a lesser extent) in KH2, then I wouldn't mind.

3. Neku_Sakuraba Gummi Ship Junkie

Darn it, I should've added Roxas.

4. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

I think they're not doing 7 playthroughs (even though I would love it), but some characters like Mickey probably won't be playable as it wasn't in the other games he appeared (only as special thing in two when you died in a boss fight).
    Probably the trio Riku, Sora, Kairi (only Kairi didn't show up as playable by now), Aqua for sure as she is the remanasceint from previous generation and her gameplay is made already. I doubt Terra as he is currently one of the dark hearts, so he will be saved by some point but not playable. Ventus I hope is available but he could be one more person to be saved.

5. Vagineer Hollow Bastion Committee

I agree. The Destiny Islands trio will be playable in KHIII, But I wouldn't mind Lea being playable. I want to know more what happened to him and Isa between the events of Birth by Sleep and Kingdom Hearts.

6. Airi Ban King's Apprentice

I think at most we'll get 2 or three. I personally think it'll be Sora only for kh3 but if there is another playable character I'm pretty sure it'll be Riku. That is, unless they do a new system where you can use more than one character but still are playing the same story.

7. Cloud4012 Gummi Ship Junkie

I hope roxas makes a comeback he and axel would make an awesome tag team

8. CloudStrife2k9 Twilight Town Denizen

I think if we can play as other people as well as Sora, they should be Riku and Roxas. (I'm really hoping Roxas is in this game xD)[DOUBLEPOST=1363892341][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, sorry for double posting, but I don't think Ven will be a big part of this game. I think we will wake him up at the end as well as saving Terra from the darkness.

I dunno though. I'm highly confused and I can't even make a theory for whats going to happen in KH3. DIS ISH IS TOO CRAZY.

Which is a good thing. :D

9. 61 No. B

I hope we only get Sora.
    I know many people are big fans of Riku, though I am not, but having multiple playable characters takes away the focus from the true protagonist, and makes it difficult to flesh out the story for the main character, as well as the other character.

We saw this is in CoM. Sora's story was as it should have been, while Riku's story seemed like nothing more than a tacked on after-thought. The mechanics and story of Riku's game in CoM was in every aspect inferior to Sora's, and I can't help but feel that that was effort that could have gone to making Sora's story that much better.

Whereas in DDD and BBS they were all equal in terms of quality of gameplay and story for the character, but because there were multiple characters, each of their stories felt rushed because the content of the one game was spread out over two or three characters.

Ultimately, I want 3 to be packed with content and story that we can enjoy for hours on end, and having more than one playable character is not the way to do that.
    I want 3 to return to how the two console games felt like a much bigger production that the recent games. I don't want 3 to basically be a handheld on a console.

10. sonicfan23 Traverse Town Homebody

Well, if that's the case, then I want to compare two games STORY WISE: Sonic 06 (yes, I know, don't judge me, I like the story) and BBS.

Sonic 06 and BBS both have three characters: Sonic, Shadow, Silver, Ventus, Terra, and Aqua, respectively. Now, none of the characters had any character development in Sonic 06 (well, okay, Elise definitely did, but not Sonic, Shadow, or Silver, they just all dealt with stuff) but they all had really good stories as far as length goes. In BBS, Aqua, Terra, and Ventus all had just a TON of character development, but their stories were short but great (kinda like a lot of AMV's I like.)

Now, I want to compare another Sonic game, again, story wise, to TWO KH games: Sonic Adventure 2, COM and DDD.

Both of these games have two sides, Hero and Dark (Sonic Adventure 2) and Sora and Riku (COM and DDD.)

Sonic Adventure 2 had some pretty decent story and character development, and had a final story that is just awesome, where as DDD and COM both play the same part: filling in a gap. Both games have great stories and character development, but where DDD fall short is, again, length. Now, I can, after a good deal of practice, beat the whole story line of SA2 in a day. But can't people do that on KH2 as well?

My point is, Sonic 06 and SA2 have the advantage over DDD and BBS at least (COM, not really, that's a console game too.) I'm thinking that BBS and DDD suffered because of the lack of power in the console. Yes, the 3DS has a lot of capabilities, but it comes no where near to the PS3 as far as I'm concerned. Days suffered for this too. The lack of good quality cutscenes is because of the DS's graphical power and space. I think KH3 would be really good for multiple characters.

11. Mysty Unknown

I believe with the Second Keyblade war coming, you will play as all 7 Lights in teams of 2 with Sora being solo. Or you will have the option to chose who you want to play as and run into the other characters creating a party like Final Fantasy style party mechanics. For the team idea, I see it as this:

Mickey Riku
    Aqua Ventus
    Axel Kairi
    and Sora.

Now for Axel Kairi, I think Sora could replace Axel. As well as I would see this as a good way to show a tutorial level for new players. It would work since Yen Sid is training them at the time.

12. RifleRiku Traverse Town Homebody

I think something they could do is have a party system like Kingdom Hearts II and have you able to switch to certain characters like Riku or one of the other seven lights. This makes it so that switching from Sora isn't mandatory for those who don't want to have to play as someone else. It'd make sense since people like different things and this way we'd have all the things we want packed into one story.

13. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

I like the idea of multiple characters as it gives you more reason for replay.. Like playing KH1/2 on hard for unlock critical mode.. we do play it, because we want it, but if there was new things to it it would made us more eagger to play.

I liked BBS, didn't play 3D , but seems good.
    And I LOVED CHAIN OF MEMORIES, I just think they should have made us play with riku before than Sora, as RIku's path is easier at the begning and difficult at the end, and Sora's is difficult at the begining and easy at the end when you have mastered your decks.
    Storywise riku's path was inferior, as he didn't had no one to talk to.. but I loved CoM system so much that I didn't care much.

There's one problem with 2 or more playable characters that is:
    1)Making the story shorter.. I agree that the PSP didn't had that much power so make you play 20H of game 3 times is easier than playing 60 hours of new story.. but for a KH III I really hope that it will be at least as long as KH II.

Ps.: I would like also that there would be some cross play possibility.. if you unlock some sleight/magic/attack you should get it on all you characters as It is a pain in the ass remaking all things from scrach.

14. A Zebra Chaser

I really hope it's just Sora. Whenever a game features more than one playable character the gameplay suffers.

Actually, Silver has a character arc about killing and naivete, and Shadow has one about trusting humanity and forgetting the past.
    Meanwhile, TAV... haha, yeah no. They don't have character development. There is NOTHING there. The characters don't change or grow in any way in BBS. They jsut are.

And consoles have nothing to do with it. Yes, the 3DS doesn't hold a candle in terms of specs to the PS3. But guess what? The PS2 is a lot weaker than the 3DS and it has the games with the most fleshed out stories. In fact, KH3D is, excluding KH1.5, the game that appears on the most powerful system in the franchise to date. But the pwoer of the system doesn't really matter. I don't even see why you brought up the PS3 because no KH game has premiered on it yet.

Did you just call Riku's story 'dark stories'

I'm... starting to wonder what your definition of character development is at this point, honestly.
    I mean, do you really think good quality cutscenes is what makes a story good?

15. sonicfan23 Traverse Town Homebody

First of all, I commend you for actually saying that there is character development in Silver and Shadow when there is none in TAV.

I see what you mean, but didn't Terra, Aqua, and Ventus all go through something that led them up to their respective final battles that changed them a little bit? I'm sure Ventus did at least.

And by power, I guess I mean space on the disk. I don't know how much space was on the KH2 disks, but a general 3DS card had about 2GB on it. I don't know about the technicalities and whatnot, but I think for Square it was only have one character and make the story longer, or have two characters and make the story shorter. I think they appealed to the audience that likes more than one playable character.

And the reason that I mention the PS3 is that it's likely that KH3 might be on that. I really hope it is.

My definition of character development is...well, I'm not quite sure myself, but something like, what questions and obstacles are they faced with, and how do they answer to them? Terra, Aqua, and Ventus all had those questions, and at the final fights in their stories, they all had their answers.

No, unless you mean good quality cutscenes by how good the voice acting is. I think what makes the KH story good is the fact that it moves around SOOOOO much.

Ah well, to each their own. We all like different things.

16. A Zebra Chaser

Not really. There's no correlation to the 'changes' that happen. In the beginning, Ventus is very defensive about his friends. The first leg of his adventure has him chasing Terra. The second... has no purpose. Ven jus goes to the next worlds, with no goal. The new elements we see of Ven at the end is an acceptance of suicide, and him briefly claiming he won't fight Vanitas. Until Vanitas mentions hurting Terra and Aqua, and he immediately forgets all that.
    So Ven is basically the same person he was at the start, and we haven't really learnt anything about how HE is throughout the game
    Aqua's story is even simpler. Aqua is basically the mother of the group. She goes behind them and foxes their problems. She nags Terra and supports Ven. She does this from start to finish.
    Terra has character development... in theory. Throughout his Disney world visits, he slowly learns to turn away the darkness and to be less trustful... but none of this carries over into the main plot. In the main story, he's still gullible, and apparently falling closer and closer to darkness.

The space on a disk isn't all that important. Chain of Memories for the GBA is a decently long game, and the GBA has a tiny fraction of a modern console's power.
    The 3DS generally uses 2 or 4 GB cartridges, though 8 is a possibility as well. DDD used a 4.
    Here's the thing. Games aren't stuffed full. You will much sooner run out of budget than disk space. Most modern PS3 games are around 10 GB or less, despite the disks being able to hold many times that. Similarly, KH games for the PS2 Were actually fairly small; under 2 GB.
    See, the reason that having one character makes the story longer and gameplay more varied is because rrather than splitting the budget, it can all go to one focus.

You've got a more developed view than most. A common belief especially among KH fans is that "bold actions" = "character development"
    Character development is technically anything that informs us about the character, but the big stuff doesn't really tell us much. "Xion would sacrifice herself to save Sora" is not a strong character trait. Usually, smaller or quieter things give more insight. Things like the fact that Sora believes in Santa but Riku doesn't. That when Ventus says to take two grownups he goes to Terra and Aqua. Strong character development permeates the characters. For example, in KH1, you can really get a feel for sora's adventurous spirit, he'll aggressively talk about going out into the world and learning new things, and expresses genuine wonderment at everything he finds. Basically, a well developed character is the culmination of many small moments which makes them multifacted. It's what makes a character relatable
    Meanwhile, a flat character, like most of the ones from KH, have very few defining traits. When they lack moments that separate themselves from the big moments of the story, they become unrelatable, more of a plot device than a character

Voice acting does not make a good story. I highly suggest you check out some older Final Fantasy games, The World Ends With You, and Radant Historia, for some great examples of storytelling, yet nary a 12 minute voiced cutscene to be found.
    Now don't get me wrong, good voice acting can carry a good story, and bad voice acting can ruin one, they they are not the story itself.

17. 61 No. B

I agree, except, little details like that are generally not providing character development, but rather a deeper characterization. Sora believing in Santa, or expressing his adventurous spirit does not develop him as a character, it gives us a better idea of who Sora is, what he likes, what he believes, things like that.
    Character development is how a character changes, or doesn't change, after a certain conflict or revelation or whatever it may be. We ask: "why did this character change?" or "why did this character refuse to change?" The answer to those questions tell us how this character has developed, and who he is now compared to who he was before.

18. A Zebra Chaser

Honestly, the definition is a bit nebulous. I use character arc to define what you said, and character development for anythign that develops them as a character

19. 61 No. B

I've always thought of them as being one in the same. Like, character arc's happen within character development; character arcs have a defined beginning and end, whereas character development is an ongoing thing, the results of each character arc cumulate into character development, at least that's my interpretation. For example, Sora has a character arc in Kingdom Hearts, and what happens in that arc contributes to his character development that is ongoing. Though it is open to interpretation I suppose.

Ventus and Terra have character arcs set up, but neither are fulfilled, making character development minuscule or non-existent, that's what's wrong there.

20. A Zebra Chaser

You'd be correct in that
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_development
    It's really just a thing I've picked up and haven't really dropped. The way I see it, it refers to a well developed character, or the development of said character by its creators.