Why is Your God(s) True and Others False?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by jafar, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jafar custom title

There are hundereds, possibly thousands of different religions and cults out there. Each one is saying something else. And each one of them act as if they are so certain that theirs is the true religion. Many to the point where they force others to convert to the religion, either out of racism and hate, misunderstanding other cultures, fear, or power. This hasn't changed at all. So, I pose you this question: Why is your God(s) true and others false? Why is it blasphemous for a person to believe in another diety than your own?

Please, please please: If you are an Athiest or Agonostic, don't answer this question. At least not right off the bat. I want some people who do firmly believe in their God(s) to answer this, and then you can go with debating them. I don't want to see the first post to be that from an athiest, since they will go explaining how there isn't a god or the history of all of it. I want opinions first, then go on with debating those who do believe with the facts that you guys have at your disposal.

Also, if you disagree with somebody of a different religion, debate.
    Example: Christian believes their God is true and Hindu believes their Gods are true, debate why. I don't want this to be JUST Ahiest vs. Believer, since that is how most threads that involve God go, and that isn't really how I want this one to go.

End of super long explanation.

DEBATE!

2. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

Well, this doesn't really apply to me personally, because although I believe in a particular God, I believe that a god like Vishnu is equal to my God. If that makes sense. :)

Anyway, I think that the reason many religions regard their god as superior is because they need to see themselves as religiously isolated from others. It strengthens their belief by thinking that they are somehow better than other religious groups. This is why, for example, dietary laws exist in Judaism and Islam. It isolates these groups from other peoples and maintains "purity" and uniqueness.

3. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

Every religion claims that they can spit farther than all the others. When everyone's saying the same thing it's almost impossible for all of them to actually be right.

4. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

One correction. Buddhism and Wiccan religions do not believe theirs is the one and only God, they believe that all religions are correct in some aspects. They accept other religions, and do not force theirs on others.

5. childofturin Why?

^This. It's really only the world religions (Christianity, Islam, etc) that claim to have a monopoly on the truth. Other tribal religions tend to be more secure in their beliefs and can even borrow the best parts of other religions (as seen in Mexico when the Spanish invaded - the natives, after a few decades, had blended their Aztec/Toltec/etc beliefs and European Christian beliefs.

6. MadDoctorMaddie I'm a doctor, not a custom title!

A somewhat stupid answer, but it just feels right for me. I don't know what other people think, which is why I don't think my God is any better than someone else's in general.

7. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

^ This.

I can't say that my religion is the right one, because I know that's not true. It's just what I feel.

8. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I would assume the main answer is faith.
    They so strongly believe in something, it becomes factual to them.
    I'm Christian but my faith is not as strong as others, I'm not sure if my God is true and others' false....

There's probably also religions out there that acknowledge other religons and instead of saying their God is true, it says their God is above the others' God

9. Inasuma "pumpkin"

It's true because I say so.

Very simple, no?

10. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

I'm not going to butter this up. We think our god is real just because we do. I myself find it pathetic how people can spend so long over religion basically throwing back and forth "Blah blah blah comment explaining why you're wrong now **** off." I would at least like to see it taken from the viewpoint of others if we want to go anywhere with these discussions. This is also applicable to atheism. From atheism, it's a "seeing is believing" viewpoint, while from religion it's a "believing is seeing" one, if that makes any sense.

11. Xephos Neko, gamer, animelover, and artist :3 *purrs*

Well, some are tied to their religion and don't want to let go and make sure they aren't doing the wrong thing. I respect that. ^^ I respect how they are loyal to their religion and follow it. Although I can't prove that my god, as a christian, is the true one nor will I force it upon you guys. I'm not the type that will saw like "Be christian or die!" XD That is NOT me. But most importantly......... ah what the heck. I'm going off topic all of the sudden. I don't want to mention the gruesome parts about our religion against the Islams. *purrs*

12. Vex123 Traverse Town Homebody

The dietary laws aren't really for uniqueness. Forbidding alcohol and pork (pigs are occaisonally canaballistic andsometimes indulge in some gruesome things) isn't really that out there or random at all. And not eating dairy and meat together is an ethical kind of thing. Perhaps for "purity" depending on your interpration, but the dietary laws found in Judaism and Islam are all pretty reasonable, and definitely not to "isolate," but to protect people from unnatural things. Just something I'm saying, is all.

13. kitty_has_claws246 Traverse Town Homebody

I really believe that there is only one God. That all the different gods that people worship is that one God under different names.

People who did amazing things thought this way too. Ghandi, Mother Teresa, and Dorthy Day all believed in one universal God who protects everyone.

And even if this isn't true, if there is no God at all, I still like this way of thinking. Thinking that there is one universal God is what allowed Ghandi and Mother Teresa to treat all people as equals and deserving of love. It broke down barriers of discrimination and allowed them to help Hindus and Muslims alike, even though the two groups themselves hated each other over religous issues.

So I believe that there is either one universal God under different names, or there is no God and we merely want something to hold onto as a parent figure.

Who knows?

14. Cyanide King's Apprentice

That's what I'm more inclined to believe in.

Anyways, people like to claim their gods are true and the others are false for the same reason why a child doesn't like being told it's acting naughty. We don't like to be wrong. Simple human nature. Or, alternatively:

15. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

But is this not also applicable to atheists? Given, there is more direct evidence to support atheism than to support events given in the bible, but it still boils down to the fact that you can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God with any science.

16. Cyanide King's Apprentice

Possibly. It's applicable to a lot of things, really. Humans are a competitive bunch. I'd adress the whole "cannot be proven or disproven issue" but I think you're aware of that already.

17. childofturin Why?

It's not science's place to disprove anything, really. If, in the course of proving a different theory, we happen to disprove an earlier one (flat earth, geocentrism, etc), so much the better - any theory that can be disproved needs to be disproved, so people don't believe the wrong thing. I'm sure many (not all, but many) religious people would agree - if one religion could, hypothetically, be proven true, than more people would go to that religion's paradise, right?. However, it's not science's place to do that. We can prove Evolution to be true, to the extent of our technology today, we can prove things like galactic drift, galaxy superclusters, and infer the truth of things like the Big Bang, but we don't have to disprove God.

18. Dandersnuff Twilight Town Denizen

I'm a christian. I believe in God, the holy spirit and that Jesus died for us.
    Sure, it's very easy to lose faith, at times.
    But, I have prayed for people to be healed, and they have been healed.
    For instance, at Vineyard once I prayed for this guy Steven who had paralyzed legs.
    So, me and my friends lay hands on him and prayed for him to be healed. And he was healed, right there.

So, I suppose my reason for believeing in God is because of the things I have experienced.
    Sure, I often wonder how God allows such terrible things to happen, like war and stuff.

But too many things have happened, too many prayers have been answered for me not to believe, see? :3

19. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

So what you're basically saying here is that science supports science to take credence from the theory of God?

20. childofturin Why?

That sentence makes no sense. I am saying that science is not in the business of disproving anything. It does happen that things get disproven, but it's a side effect of proving something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.