Why do you distrust Atheists?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Cin, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

Or rather intelligence, more like the driving force of atheism.

This question is directed towards theists of all religions, some of the world's most intelligent, influential people, not only in this time but spanning over the course of thousands of years have been atheists.

Here's a quick list:

Abraham Lincoln
    Albert Einstein
    Andrew Carnegie
    Ernest Hemingway
    Charles Darwin
    Benjamin Franklin
    Carl Sagan
    Elizabeth Cady-Stanton
    Voltaire
    Galileo Galilei
    Freidrich Nietzsche
    Helen Keller
    James Madison
    John Adams
    Karl Marx
    Napoleon Bonaparte
    John Lennon
    Walt Disney
    Mark Twain
    Robert Frost
    Susan B. Anthony
    Vincent Van Gogh
    Thomas Jefferson
    Thomas Edison
    Oscar Wilde

Several larger lists:

Activists
    Authors
    Film, Radio, Television, Theatre
    Musicians
    Philosophers
    Politicians
    Scientists
    Misc.

Why would you look at all these people and say, "Well, they have to be wrong.". Look at your life, these people have shaped it in ways you're either aware of or not. Just look at Scientists, I will not be biased or stupid in saying all Scientists are atheist, but a majority of them do not associate themselves with any particular religion. Why would you believe Scientists about astrology or engineering or physics, but NOT about basic evolutionary biology?

These people are obviously smart, they know what they're talking about, I'm sure you looked at at least ONE of the names on these lists and said, "Wow...I never knew they were Atheist", with this new information, has your belief changed at ALL, or do you still think that there's no way God can't exist?

I mean obviously there's flaws with the logic I'm using here but seriously, come on. Use your heads.

2. Styx That's me inside your head.

A lot of intelligent and influential (wo)men in history were theists.
    Sucks to be them though: having to give part if not all of your credit to God no matter what ground-breaking feat you pulled.

You're not gonna change their minds.

3. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Francis Crick (in the list of scientist atheists) actually wasn't atheist. He actually could not imagine the human being alive without a supernatural influence. The DNA molecule more specifically. And he took LSD to come to the conclusion of the DNA double helix.

4. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

Thanks for the clarification + fun fact.

5. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

It makes sense that these people were atheists instead of hardcore christians because, no offense, but most christians I've known are closed minded and refuse to even consider looking at things from another stand point and it limits them from being as intelligent as they could be.

6. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

FAIL. You just insulted me and probably a bunch of other people.

Anyway, I don't distrust atheists. I actually consider myself more intelligent than them in some ways (being able to believe in an omnipotent God and still put my trust in science), but they are certainly wonderful people (most of the time).

7. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

I'm not necessarily saying trust them as people, more like trust them that they know what they're talking about when it comes to the existence or a god or other secular matters, where most Christians seem to think that Atheists are just idiots.

8. P Banned

I'm pretty sure Einstein was Christian.

Otherwise that documentary I saw was a waste of an hour of my life. >.>

9. Near Gummi Ship Junkie

I can't see how believing an omnipotent God makes you any more intelligent than me. I feel insulted, actually...

I've been insulted by plenty of theists for my choice of religion(or lack thereof), and I agree with Ghetto's statement. There have actually been times when another kid's parents wouldn't let them hang out with me because of being Atheist.

Thanks for the list, Cin. I never would have guessed so many influential people were actually Atheist.

10. Cyanide King's Apprentice

Einstein was a deist.

Also, I see no reason to treat them badly as long as they aren't pricks about their beliefs, even though I share similar ideologies.

11. Hissora ahurhurhur.

There was this like 20 minute video I watched on the internet 2 years ago talking about how a ton of successful and famous people were atheists. I find interesting, really. I'm guessing one factor than contributed to it is because when you really don't commit to a religion, you have more time to concentrate at matters at hand. Also, they might ave been able to consider things better then just being like, 'my lord (whatever god(s)they worship\followed) will pull us through'.

I myself think religion is silly and not something really to worry about. But some how millions of people have died because of religion. Oh well, that's life.

12. Inasuma "pumpkin"

There's a severe problem between theists and atheists. The only real "battle" between them is when they are militant and completely 1-sided. Christians say they are intelligent and right, and Atheists say they are intelligent are right. So, who's right?

Through my personal study I've found that many scientists (some included in that list, but I don't think all of them) actually had a lot of difficulty thinking that the highly advanced organic composition of molecules, compounds and the like were just by accident (to some extent). Not to say they think it was God, but actually beings from another planet, solar system or galaxy all-together. There's many reasons, obviously.

I think for someone to be more comfortable, they would have to be open to both options. Seek for themselves the possibilities, the probabilities and what is determined throughout. For example, I, myself, think that everything is indeed 100% physical. But perhaps there's something more? Alternate dimensions, accessed differently through altered states of consciousness, maybe even dreams? I haven't looked into it very much, but right now that's how I stand I suppose.

Though don't rely on the list. We've already established that some of those people were indeed not atheist. lawl

13. Near Gummi Ship Junkie

I've considered those possibilities, but I've never put enough thought into any of it to call it a belief or a form of religion. I agree that both sides are/can be closed-minded in ways, as well.

Unfortunately, until there's substantial proof for one side or the other, the "battle" will continue.

14. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

My girlfriend is an atheist, but clearly because I'm a theist it means I distrust her. The fact that you assume all theists distrust atheists makes you just as unaccepting and prejudiced as the people that you believe all theists are.

15. Inasuma "pumpkin"

And unfortunately the ignorance will pursue.

16. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

Let me offer my profuse apologies. I shouldn't have said that, I should have known it would probably hurt someone and I'm very sorry.

What I meant by that was I can see both sides (the rational and the irrational) and I can make conclusions about the world around me with a better worldview.

I never meant to say that theists are better than Atheists, or vice versa, and I apologize if you got that impression.

17. Sonic the Hedgehog The Blue dude is back!!

My friend Edward is atheist,and we are cool.He doesn't influence his beliefs on other people,thank God,there are alot of religions,and there are people who are those religions.I think that all those people you listed,like a few were very intelegent people.Especially Albert Einstein.It doesn't matter what religion you are.

18. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

^ Uh, yeah. This.

As I have said in one or two other threads, two of my best friends are atheist How can you possibly believe that all theists don't accept atheists?

Myself, I have gone through a time when I said that I was Agnostic, and doubted the religion I was baptized into. It lasted for quite a long time, actually. I still don't know if Christians are "right", and I never will know. It's the thing I choose to believe in, mostly to stop being in the middle. I don't think atheists are "wrong", nor Muslims, nor Jews. Can't you just drop the subject? Honestly.
    And also, I don't go around yelling "Be Christian, for Christ sakes!!" (no pun intended) to people who aren't Christian.

By the way, I remember hearing that Albert Einstein wasn't atheist, so I went-a-searching and found this article. http://www.adherents.com/people/pe/Albert_Einstein.html
    (Please don't bite my head off about the article if you for some reason feel the urge. It's just what I found)

19. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

Actually, most people who I see everyday (including my friends) where I live are atheists. Usually we get annoyed with overzealous religious people. I'm not saying we distrust them, but usually they try to impose their religion on us, which is a little annoying...

20. libregkd -

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.