Why do we even bother?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Blueman, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueman Merlin's Housekeeper

Why do even bother with debates such as whether a God exists or not? Really? What is the point? Science can't prove there isn't a God. Nobody can prove there is a God. Science can prove Science, not religion.

Honestly, I'm making this an unbiased approach. I believe debating on this subject is pretty pointless. :/

Anyone agree/disagree?

2. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

Because we need to know. It's coded into us.

3. Blueman Merlin's Housekeeper

True. But it is just pointless, in my opinion. Both sides can claim to know more than the other but in reality niether side can 'win' the debate.

4. Repliku Chaser

Debating on religion for some people is a way to analyze things and share ideas, compare and well, to learn more. It isn't for everyone. There are many people out there who would rather not debate over religion or any various other topics considered taboo to discuss. For some people, it's because they are just sick of people talking about it. For others, it's because they feel it's just wrong to do. You can always say you aren't into that sort of thing and avoid discussing it with others, unless people are being particularly ornery which generally you can say f-u and they get the hint. xD

For someone who doesn't care to discuss religion, in the end, around here, don't stress with reading the topics. There are other debates that go on. I can see how debates on it get rather old at times, whether on a forum or out dealing with people day to day. Just some others are more inquisitive and on the topic that doesn't interest you, so to them, it is not pointless.

5. P Banned

Religion is founded upon a desire of explanations. Thunder was explained by Thor, Zeus and Jupiter. Fire was explained by Vulcan. The origin of New Zealand was explained by Maui. Science can cut the fire of religion off from its oxygen of mystery. If we know exactly how thunder is made in the sky, the idea of a giant man throwing lightning is silly. If we know that New Zealand was made through millions of years of landforming, Maui is explained away.

Science cannot prove that a god doesn't exist, but science and logic can prove that there is no reason to assume one does exist. So far no cases of a God doing something have been proved. Countless events attributed to gods have been revealed to be natual by science.

Also, we can debate the ethics of the deities being worshipped and whether they are worth being treated as gods in the first place.

So it is not pointless, we are just unlikely to prove the origin of the universe on a forum. We can still examine other aspects.

6. Cleopatra King's Apprentice

I agree, people who don't want to debate about it, don't read the damn topics. We discuss it here because I'm guessing we have people of all different cultures, who have different religions who want a discussion. We may not need so many disussions about the topic though. Stay clear of those topics if you don't want to discuss them.

7. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

It's an issue that needs to be debated because religion is present in most aspects in our society. If it was wrong (which in my mind there is no doubt that it is, with the evidence there is in the world) it would change everything and a lot of people's lives.

So yeah, we can't just ignore it even if the argument can never be "won" by either side (even if having the evidence to back up your opinions should technically count as winning. But no, gut feelings and dreams seem to take precedence).

8. Blueman Merlin's Housekeeper

How is religion 'wrong'?

9. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Because there's no hard evidence.
    No actual proof.
    The only proof in religion is faith.
    I'm a Christian, but I have issues with what the bible says and about God's "actions"

And as to answer your question on why do we bother: So when the end of the world comes, a group of people will stand on top of a mountain, point to everyone else, and gladly yell, "we told you so." That moment is what a lot of people are waiting for.

10. Blueman Merlin's Housekeeper

I don't mind the topics. The debate is: what is the point of having these debates when Science will always come at Religion with Science and Religion at Science with faith?

Exactly why the debate is pointless.

11. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Not to mention science can be "wrong" too.
    People use science to explain the how
    and religion to explain the why.

The debate may be pointless, but it's how people share their beliefs and it even helps them make sense of it.

12. In explicit Angst Gummi Ship Junkie

I think that fighting about religion is just stupid. Why cant people just accept that some people believe in something else then some other people. There's nothing wrong on saying your opinion about it, but why does someone have to start bashing God or Jesus, just because they don't believe in them? And I'm not saying that people who don't believe in god are the only people who do something like that. I've seen christians who act like agnostics don't know anything. Like their stupid or something. My very dear and close friend who've I've known all my life is an agnostic and I'm a christian. We don't fight about it. We sometimes talk about our opinions but we've never fought about it. And I know that around her I wont be talking about how 'great' and 'wonderful' god is (okay, I don't talk like that even if I'm not with her). Why cant you guys just open your eyes and see that christians aren't these 'perfect' and 'wonderful' people who never do anything wrong and all the time talk about how great god is. And agnostics aren't these bad people who do 'sins' and crimes all the time. Well some of 'em are like those but not all. Just open your eyes and stop bashing other peoples believes!

13. Kaiionel Hollow Bastion Committee

Why do we debate on anything in the debate corner? If you think about it, a lot of the questions are based primarily on opinion. However, it is fun to see the responses certain questions get and what evidence people use to back up their claims. The whole God debate is such an age-old question that, of course, people are going to bring it up. Sure, there's no way to prove it, but getting into heated debates is fun, and it challenges the mind. It forces us to think.

14. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

I don't know about you guys, but it's really entertaining over here.

15. Nuff' Said Banned

ACTUALLY pika there is proof of god's work. theres a video bumper-sticker on myspace

it goes like this
    A professor at a college says theres no god. if anybody says there is, raise their hand.nobody does. then he says if there is a god when he drops the chalk it will not break. he drops it then it breaks.

Next year
    same thing except 1 student raises his hand. the professor curses at him. he says if there is a god the chalk will not break. he drops the chalk and it doesnt even crack.
    the professor then storms out of the classroom.

16. childofturin Why?

Chain videos do not convince me. I can make up an identical story and post it everywhere. Does that make it true?

Besides, chalk dropping is not exactly reliable as a test.

17. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

It's not even a test, it's a joke. An affront to the scientific method. As with most of the attempts to prove that there is a god. Always a fault, usually glaringly obvious.

Anyway, the argument will continue as those in the scientific community do not wish ignorance to reign (myself included).

18. Snow Princess King's Apprentice

debating on the subject gives people a chance to express their opinions and present views that may not have been heard before, therefore opening up new realms of the dicussion... so yes, its a very good and NOT pointless debate that will keep going till the end of time because evidence on both sides cannot be confirmed 100%

19. Kaiionel Hollow Bastion Committee

There is no undeniable evidence that God exists. If there was, it would have been on the news by now, and tons of people would be freaking out. ;)

20. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

I have a problem with this post. Believing in a god does not make a person ignorant. I know I'm not ignorant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.