Which is the most educational?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Roxas24Sora, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Roxas24Sora King's Apprentice

Reading, watching t.v., or playing video games?

I would say reading.

2. Johnny Bravo Chaser

video games for sure...

3. Rainbow~Monkey Gummi Ship Junkie

i think books but video games is more fun and so is tv..books are fun only if i feel like reading...

4. Crumpet In your shadow, I can shine!

it depends on what... sometimes t.v. is more educational as there is the discovery and history channels, also more people are interested in t.v than reading

5. Roxas24Sora King's Apprentice

@ Rainbow-Monkey: Same here.

6. Amber PLUR

It actually depends on how the person learns.

Different people learn in different ways, so one method may be more eefective for one person, but not for another.

7. Spunk Ransom you're already perfect

I would say reading, it expands your vocabulary.
    But, there are some educational video games and television programs as well.
    I think it depends on several things: What the person is into, how the person learns, and if whatever it is is educational or not.

8. Ultimecia sorceress

Agreed, plus the person has to want to learn to start with.

9. Mielé Banned

I'm more of an auditory learner so watching TV for me :D

although I can easily learn things by reading too.

10. Valium Hollow Bastion Committee

I'm a Visual learner but TV just makes me stupid.
    I learn better from reading.

11. Spunk Ransom you're already perfect

Hmm, I didn't think about the hand-eye coordination thing. Which is odd, because every time I drive, I always act as if it's a video game, which helps.

12. Azure Flame Banned

Unless that video game is GTA.

I'd say it depends on the person.

13. Firefly Hollow Bastion Committee

Reading, with books and stuff at school, but since lotsa ppl irl don't like reading...there's a problem.

14. Scott Pilgrim Banned

I think it really depends onmthe subject of each of them, but overall, books seem to be the most educational.

15. Near Gummi Ship Junkie

Personally, I think reading teaches you more than anything else, and second is video games. Reading is the most efficient way to learn, whether a novel or an essay or encyclopedia, not only because you expand your vocabulary, but other reasons as well. Depending on the book you are reading, you could learn things about different situations. Same goes for video games.
    However, in certain video games, like "The World Ends With You", you can learn other things that might be in books, but I feel they're better learned through video games because of the level of interaction involved. I'm talking about stuff like morals and life lessons.
    Television, albeit its popularity, is not a very good choice, at least for me. With a book, your mind is working constantly to decipher the words on the pages, but when you're watching television you don't learn as much because you're just watching and there's no interaction or anything.

Watching TV makes me feel stupid, too. x.x

EDIT: Something I forgot to add is that this is my personal opinion, and that everyone learns differently.

16. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

Depends on what your reading, or watching on the TV. Video games can be helpful with hand eye coordination, but it again depends on what you're playing. I would say all three can be helpful, but playing video games is the most fun, :D

17. Juicy Chaser

Eh...it all depends on what the subject is, for example you'll learn more from a tv show about politics than a book about how lasagne tastes. (where did that come from O.O )

But in general, I'd say books are the most educational :3

18. Cyanide King's Apprentice

I agree that it depends on what you're reading/watching/playing. Watching a documentary on Animal Planet, for example, might be much more informative then a lot of books you read.

19. Spammy Traverse Town Homebody

Depends on the book or tv thing.

If a book is easily written i'm good, likewise if the tv show is easy to take in then i'll be happy with that

Video games though... lol

20. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

Well, it really depends. I would say readin' - somethin' i wish i did more as a child. I was a wild child to put it simply n' could never stay still for 10 minutes. I had to be outside. xD

Anyhoo! Like others have awready mentioned it's depends on what you're readin'/watchin' etc. Documentaries on the telly or a book 'bout the Earth, or somethin' similar are the most educational in terms of facts and theories. But you can learn somethin' in any type of media. It doesn't have to be somethin' that could help you progress in your academic studies but it broadens your knowledge ever so slightly 'bout the current trends or affairs of society. They can make good conversations.

I wouldn't say video games are the best form of media for education, but they can help to improve your problem solvin'. Strangely, that was one of my strongest points in school. lol