Which disease/problem do you think is worse?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bonbon426, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonbon426 Merlin's Housekeeper

1. Aids

2. Bird Flu

3. Super Bug

4. Cancer (any forms)

5. Maleria

Well this all depends on where you live like if you live in Northern Canada you really wont worry about Maleria.

2. Repliku Chaser

I would say Aids and Cancer are less serious than the other two because there's little you can do about cancer and if you just try your best to take care of yourself you can avoid it as best you can. If you notice lumps or weird skin formations, you go get them checked out. Go to a doctor annually..so cancer can be found out if you do the right things. Aids, just don't have unprotected sex, share syringes, exchange body fluids, and you are safe.

As for malaria, that isn't genuinely a problem outside certain regions. It is serious though but so far only to where it is.

The staph virus (which I take it is what you mean by 'super bug') is a serious concern since staph can stay alive even a week or so on objects if it is not taken care of and a whole area quarantined and disinfected. It's that serious so it should be dealt with carefully in each area it shows up. The super strain of this is also showing that antibiotics are near useless to it. I don't think it's something to 'panic' about but it is something people need to be cautious over as this could become a very serious problem if people are negligent.

The Bird Flu is another thing that until it crosses over to humans to be passed on to humans, it's a scare we can do little about. However, this seems to be the big fear that can be turned into an epidemic or pandemic over night. It's very catchy amongst birds so we can imagine how bad it could be if humans get it and it goes spreading about. If this becomes full blown, as it may, it may be the worst of all of the others combined in the numbers of people that will be affected by it.

3. bonbon426 Merlin's Housekeeper

I can tell the bird flu is "different". It looks like it can mutate easly but it hasnt really. I think this is so scary that these diseases are so harsh. We need some kind of cure but president/rulers dont think its ok to tamper with humans cause they think we are killing babies in someway, but we are over populated so might as well try it out.

4. .Kairi. Kingdom Keeper

Im basing this on where I live so I'd say the Super Bug, since many people in my town have it. Cancer and AIDS are serious too, but not many people that are here have it. Bird flu isnt a big risk since we dont have many migrating birds here. As for Maleria, I have no idea what risk Im at.

5. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I think out of that list I'd fear cancer the most. Knowing that your body is attacking itself would just be horrible. Not to mention the chemo treatments which indirectly cause cancer by treating the pre-existing cancer.

Also, since there are many things we put into our bodies knowingly: cigarette smoke, MSG in foods, microwaved food, etc. That it is a thing we bring onto ourselves.

A little side note about MSG. It is there and the US Government does not have to clearly label it on foods. I know Doritos does but it can hide under a number of different things 'Natural Flavorings' or 'spices'. Even though current FDA regulations prohibit such things it is clearly not being enforced.

AIDS can be prevented by safe-sex/abstinence, not sharing needles. The Staph virus can be stopped by washing hands, using sanitizer etc. Bird flu...I'm not really worried about that one yet.

And malaria...I live in Wisconsin. Most we worry about is West Nile and CWD. ee;

6. EvilMan_89 Code Master

actually none of those. the disease i dread the most is blindness

7. Laurence_Fox Chaser

Blindness isn't really a disease though. You can't catch blindness from another person/living being. Blindness is more a physical condition like hearing loss. It could be caused by an illness but not on its own.

8. Repliku Chaser

Blindness is a symptom or effect of something else. You can get a disease such as gonorrhea which can cause blindness, but you can also get it from glaucoma, or you can be born with it, or just have weak retinas etc. It isn't a disease in itself.

9. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Blindness is a disability, not a disease. It can result from a disease--as Repliku said--but it's nothing definitively considered a disease.

If it was, then paraplegics would fall under the same category, but would you consider a man who lost his legs in WWII diseased?

10. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

Malaria research is coming to an interesting point. There's actual theories in the work to produce a vaccine that allows for the same resistance found in people who are carriers for Sickle Cell Anemia. The only issue is that we're talking about using a retro virus to actually alter the DNA of those injected with it- gene therapy in its purest form. But as of now the cost and early stages of gene therapy itself are proving to be major set backs.

As for the rest of the diseases up there I would rate them all equally detrimental.

11. The Great Gatz Chaser

Well imo AIDS would be the worst. AIDS is widespread. You can live for a while having AIDS and not knowing it. It can easily be passed from person to person. And with the risk of the easy transmission and not knowing you have the disease is very deadly.

12. facedown1995 Moogle Assistant

im new and have no clue wat im doing will some1 please help me

13. Repliku Chaser

If you are new, you may want to post in the 'Introduce Yourself' forum so you can meet some people. Also, you might wish to read through the rules of the forums to help you navigate easier and pay attention to the stickied topics around that are in regards to rules. Welcome to the forums, but you'll want to post in that section I mentioned and around, and if you'd like to contribute to the discussion above, feel free. We just need to keep on topic here.

White Rook, that was a very interesting thing you posted and yeah, it is expensive to do and so out of range in some ways, but it is a positive sign. They can help people only after they get Malaria now and it strikes pretty fast by the accounts I've read once it has gone so far. Not everyone there can get help in time. If a vaccine could be developed, that would be a terrific thing.

14. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I think the reason that malaria is such a problem in, mostly Africa, is that for one thing, there are a lot of marshes and standing water in the southern half of the continent for mosquitoes to breed and flourish. While this may not be helped the second reason can.

That reason is that there aren't many in Africa who can afford good health care. Let alone vaccines. Any time of medicinal care would likely come from a tribal medicine man or missionaries.

But interesting point white_rook.

I still say I fear cancer the most. I can't at this point in time imagine myself wasting away in a hospital bed as my body attacks itself.

15. JedininjaZC Hollow Bastion Committee

The only disease that i would dread is the old man disease, were you forget everything about your life.
    You forget how to walk or talk, and all your memorys will disapear. that is the one i dread.

16. OrginizationXIII Traverse Town Homebody

I belive cancer is probably the worst. They are many different types and they can affect anybody. It is pretty much uncurable and it's spread throught the world. And it scariest that it makes you attack yourself from the inside.

17. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

There isn't a single disease that has all those symptoms, and it's not necessarily that you forget to walk. You actually lose motor control.

18. JedininjaZC Hollow Bastion Committee

you are right, but i am pretty sure you lose memorys in the process if it, or mabye i am thinking of another disease.
    I know it is a disease for real, i might just have gotten the name wrong.

19. #1 DinestyX Gummi Ship Junkie

the bird flu...you die from it

20. Laurence_Fox Chaser

A little vague on the reasoning don't you think?

There haven't been that many cases of Avian Bird Flu, least that have been recorded, for us to say that it is a fatal illness. We don't know that much about it other than the birds who have been infected with it have passed away. But the humans who have had it? We don't know if it's always fatal or if it capitalizes on some other deficiency in the human body.

Avian Bird Flu is so far not well known.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.