Where do you want to go with your life?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by LARiA, Feb 6, 2015.

1. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

Career-wise, if you've anything in mind. Just to see if we're on the same page.

It's rather funny in hindsight that I wanted to be a veterinarian a year ago. But I discarded the internship I'd secured at the local vet's. I like animals, but now. I've possibly made myself into runner-up for strangest mash-up of occupational aspirations: library science with a focus on archiving, plus a career as a side opera singer (if possible). I'd also like to study ancient texts somewhere down the line, but now perhaps that's getting a bit too ambitious. I've picked up opera lessons, and intend to practice my French through arias. Short-term goals will suffice for now.

It's always good to have back-up plans, a safety net to rely on. I think if I drop out of school and/or fail in any respect I might form a band with homeless peeps. I may form a band regardless, I'unno, these sorts of decisions depend on context and momentary leanings.

I have felt high and airy lately, and less focused on securing long-term stability for myself. I will study what interests me, and sing, and do things that please me. Is this a good change? Well, it's all contextual...

2. Plums Wakanda Forever

I'm in college for Psychology, with a minor in Digital Literature and Media, and a concentration/immersion in Women & Gender Studies. In all honesty, I know my heart is in psychology, but I'm still uncertain as to where I want to go in the field. In high school, I was always fascinated by it and was geared towards being a forensic psychologist -- inspired by watching seasons of NCIS with my mom. Eventually I gave up on that because of the improbability of me getting in due to how popular that field was amongst every student, and found myself heavily gravitating towards working with children/teens from doing brief volunteering at a children's center housed at our school.

As a result, I've been heavily torn between wanting to go into child psychiatry or school psychology, the latter of which is avaliable as a 3+2 program at my school. If I did it, I would be able to get my Master's degree within two more years of school. Child psychiatry would take a lot more schooling than I think I'm really able to commit to right now. The last year or two have been draining on me for a lot of reasons, so I've been considering taking a year off after graduating because I really doubt I could handle any more school right away after that -- in short, I'm close to burned out and need a break, lol.

All that said, I've found myself still having a really fond spot for English, and an ever growing one for Women & Gender Studies. I had signed up for my minor because the classes were fun and I was interested in them, but I think there is a part of me that would like to do something with it in some capacity; I've had a burgeoning interest in trying to do blog write-ups/critiques of ~things~, though with the burned out feelings from school I don't really have that much energy to put into it atm as I'd like to. Women & gender Studies I took up for multiple reasons, improving myself & my relatiosn to other people, help with psychology, etc.

Basically, I don't have an exact picture of what I want to do yet. I've been planning on talking to my department head and get into communication with the program coordinator of the School Psych program and seeing if I can sit in on one of the classes and get a feel of what the work is like. I still think it may be best to take a year off, but I really need to see how this semester goes before I can really commit to any decision on that. Right now, I'm just trying to focus on the present, with a mindful eye of what is gonna happen later.

3. Hayabusa Venomous

Not 100% sure still. Up until sometime a year or so ago, I had no clue what to do with my life, thinking of such low-demand positions as video editor or graphic designer, though the latter was far further away since I don't know much about coding.

After really trying to focus on what I enjoy the most, I landed on something to do with writing about video games. I seriously love dissecting interactive entertainment, discussing points of design and mechanics and presentation and voice acting and everything about games.

That's when I started contemplating video game journalism. I thought of how awesome it would be, to actually get to go to game developers' offices and interview them, getting the stories behind what it took to make their games and the effect that the development had on their lives. Part of this came from having watched "Indie Game: The Movie." It was fascinating seeing how these small groups of passionate people banded together to create media they felt pride from.

So for now, I'm still hoping to become a video game journalist, which with success will probably see me moving to Santa Monica, Calif. where I'll actually be in close proximity with notable names in the industry.

However, beginning this semester, I realized how stressful it can be trying to report these stories on deadline. It makes me uncomfortable still, rushing to fulfill a role as an informer while still staying true to the sources and utilizing the correct writing styles under Associated Press.

It's gotten to the point where, currently, if I fall off the track to earn my Bachelor's in journalism and don't end up as a video game journalist, I've seriously contemplated being a YouTube and/or Twitch videographer as a backup plan. I feel that doing this would not only be a better use of my time and mental energy than any retail job, but that it'd force me to become more vocally talkative about what I love. I forced myself into theater and choir in high school to overcome my shyness, and I feel this could benefit me. It's already tough currently me for to approach people for interviews.

4. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

I'm not 100% sure on what I want to do for a career, so as far as college goes I'm taking classes that interest me while presently going through a liberal arts program. They tell you high school helps you decide what you want to do, but it really doesn't. Right now I'm thinking of something in writing, music, or acting, but I have no idea what.

5. Hayabusa Venomous

I feel like this only applies to the part of the young population that have already figured it out when they started high school, usually ones following their parents', or athletes (since for whatever reason sports are such an integral factor to education in the United States.)

Also, I will say: high school gives quite a few opportunities to try out different things like classes and clubs (well, before budget cuts)

6. 61 No. B

I want to write comics. I'd like to branch out from that and try my hand at other forms but comics are my focus. For so long I had been trying to find something that I felt "passionately" about to pursue, but eventually I realized that I don't care about anything else. It's possible that this will fall through or that I'll change my mind, but that's the plan for now.

7. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

I find this question to be weird to me nowadays probably because most of what is going through my mind is financial stability. How much are my classes going to cost, is my career path a good choice, how big is the risk, etc. These are all questions I ask myself all the time, so in a sense I've stopped really caring about what I do and more so how stable that said job will be.

That being said it only makes sense that I am going to school for a degree in nursing, and probably won't stop until I become an APN (Advanced Practice Nurse)

yo dood why are you going to be a nurse? Why not a doctor, or surgeon, or "_______"

Well to be honest I think in an emergency medical situation, a nurse that actually knows what they are doing and can communicate with their coworkers and the patients themselves fairly well, this can create a very good environment which in my opinion is needed in order for things to go smoothly. Trust me, I've had some shitty nurses in the past and good god it makes the panic feeling you have so much worse.

8. Yozora Archer

Im planning on getting good enough at art/making concept art to go around freelancing for companies, maybe even land a big gig. Hopefully maybe.

As for a reel job, Im thinking of Linquistics. (ma mum suggested it)

9. T3F Chaser

At the moment I'm in uni for PR & Advertising. I eventually want to get into Graphic Designing in Advertising. I really like picking apart ads and I think it would be so cool to put together posters and billboards for products. My issue is I've been so out of practice with Photoshop for so long that I wouldn't even know how to do it. Still, this is more of a back-up plan... a "real job" as some would put it.

I've also really liked the idea of Real Estate (cue the hate). The idea of selling houses and marketing them, and putting people into homes is really interesting and I think I would be good at it.

So basically my back up plan has everything to do with marketing and advertising, while being a little bit creative.

At the moment though, I'm working on my music. I'm writing songs, hopefully going to get them on iTunes and get some money from that. In a few years time I may seriously audition for a TV talent show (for the exposure) and let my fan base grow from there. If i can't support myself on music, then I will definitely try something in advertising.

10. -Xero- Twilight Town Denizen

I used to want to be a marine biologist because as a kid I thought that learning about the things underwater were freaking awesome. I still do, but I decided against wanting to do that because my child self thought that it was easy to do such things. Then I wanted to become a vet because of how much I love cute and fluffy things, but I discarded that idea too. Then finally i decided that I wanted to be a concept artist with character design OR some kind of a manga artist. I'm always drawing and trying my hardest to get better at it everyday (even though people say that apparently I'm amazing enough already but I like improving). So I hope that one day I can go back to college and learn what I need to learn in order to do such things in those art fields.