What Makes You Return?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Amaury, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

This is more toward members who established themselves and then left, so I don't really count, personally.

@House and @Sara are two good examples of established users who've returned for good. So, what makes you guys come back to KH-Vids? What reminds you that it exists?

Discuss.

2. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

HEEYYYOOOOO. sorry

Okay, so for me it's a bit complicated. The best way I could put this is, I joined / lurked on khv when I was little. I believe I found out about the site in middle school, and now I am out of high school completely. In such a large time span like that, you can meet a lot of people. Some good and some bad, but regardless I really do like the times I've spent with some of the people on this site. So why wouldn't I want to come back? Granted when I "left" things were quite stressful, but things have gotten a tad bit better, and thanks to the staff I have been allowed to rejoin the site.

It sounds weird but khv is part of my life just like school could be to some people. You meet / talk to the same people everyday, and you just can't forget about them. Only difference is, high school sucks.

Also to those of you who are potentially confused about who I am. My old username was ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠

3. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

I totally agree with this.

I find when I really join and engage into an online community, I just can't leave. I used to get bullied in school and because of that I'm really shy in real life. But now because of Forums like KH-Vids I have a lot of friends from around the world, and I've made much stronger bonds with them then the friends I knew in real life that bullied me during grade school. I have come and go a few times, not for long periods of time though, and I find myself missing all of friends. All of my Forums are a part of my life and a big part at that because I've made so many good friends.

If there were kids at school like the people on KH-Vids, I'd be begging my mother to drive me early every day. You aren't going to want to go someplace were people are mean to you right? (^_^) In short, I think it's the people that bring you back somewhere.

4. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

I know I don't necessarily count, because when I left, it was with every intention of coming back, up to the exact date I planned to make my triumphant return. (and my absence was peppered with the occasional visit, but that's neither here nor there.) With me, I can't stay away from this site because most of my friends have always been from here. Living in a rather small and still a slight bit prejudiced community, there are some things you just don't do, and I've always had a habit of doing them. Nothing too radical, I'm not very good at being spokesperson for a cause, just little things like not liking to wear make-up, or spending my days in trees rather than on cell phones. And uh, my gaining a reputation as the second-best lightsaber duelist in town did nothing for me either. As I, and the people around me, grew up, those things stopped mattering so much, and now I've got several great friends that live relatively close by. But this place provided a place for me to be myself and be accepted because of it, and I always come back because it got me through the loneliest times of my life. :)

One thing that I think is worthy of note; I could NOT stay away my full year when I left. I had planned my return date, yes, but as the time drew near, I found I couldn't wait, and came back a few weeks early. XD

5. Shuhbooty moon child

This was the first site I ever joined, even before MySpace (at its prime). I learned not only friendship, but the ways of the internet. I learned proper internet etiquette here, how to type explore information and so many other things. It wasn't until I got into highschool, that I left. Mainly because it was stressful, highschool is where you explore yourself and find your purpose. And naturally, once the stress was gone, I came back. This is my home.

6. cstar stay away from my waifu

I ame one of these types of members~

I was here for about... a year and a half? I was 12 years old, I had never joined a forum before, and I was... pretty nervous at the time I joined thinking people would make snap judgments about me. I made a couple of friends in the RPA and then once they left... I didn't personally see a reason to come back.

When I came back at the end of 2012 and clearly stuck around, it was at first because one of the friends who had left said they were still around and well... I do not see them around here often but since I was 16 at that point I think I finally realized I didn't need to be afraid of snap judgments.

So I wandered about the forum, found other places that kept my interest, and stuck around. And now I'm staff and I'm clearly not going anywhere anytime soon.

I really think what causes people to make a full return in the end is that they have matured and can now look at old sites differently. At least from what other people have said so far that seems to be the case.

7. Llave Superless Moderator

I have to because im a rainbowfag.

Um well my case wasn't entirely the same as a "well established member", because I did take a long hiatus between 2010 and 2011. I wasn't well known back then, but I think the reason why I came back were for a few reasons:
    - I had talked to a few members before i left, and i remembered there were people who enjoyed my presence
    - I didn't have dial-up anymore

But aside from that, I think the thing that brings most of us back is the homely-ness of KHV.

8. ShibuyaGato Transformation

ayup

I left KHV twice: once from Fall '09 to Summer '10 and again from Fall '10 until Summer '11 when I stayed for good. I came back because I remembered some of the RP's I'd joined/started and some of the individuals that I'd become friendly with. While a lot of those people might not still be here today, it's clear that I've made some friends through KHV who've changed me quite a bit -- for the better, I might add. The second time I came back, I'd been dealing with a rougher patch in real life and this place was my safe haven. Once I connected with a number of members though, I realized it had become much more to me. It was my second home, and still is to this day. Honestly, if it weren't for some of the people I've gotten to know, I probably wouldn't have stuck around nearly as long as I have.
    I log on for the people, whether they're friends or strangers, because they make the site worth coming back to. my friends are my power!

9. Misty gimme kiss

I guess I am the only one who is going to say Kingdom Hearts? lol

I joined in February of 2006 and only made a few posts, it was the first forum I ever joined so I wasn't really familiar with how they worked (and I was 11 so pretty new to the internet as well). I stopped posting for a while, but then Kingdom Hearts II came out and I needed help beating Xigbar. That brought me back to the forums and I stuck around ever since, my reasons for remaining active change constantly though. I won't lie, sometimes it's just out of obligation and habit that I stay here, other times it's for the people, talking about Kingdom Hearts, that sort of thing. I've never taken an extended leave, only for vacations or to focus on schoolwork.

I dunno. I don't really think about it, I guess. I enjoy the time I spend here and that's really all I need to know.

10. 61 No. B

come for kh. stay for the community.

When I first joined I had discovered this place through the cutscenes (remember vids is in the name of this place?) and the code vault and wanted to talk about KH. I never posted outside of the KH section because I was here for KH and nothing else. My time as an active member was very brief. I kept with khv to keep on the cutting edge of KH news so I could rub it in peoples faces (unfortunately I never got the opportunity to). A few years passed, stuff happened, couldn't access old account, made this one. This time around it was for the community. I had never connected with it before and wanted to because khv was something special to me. By this time my love of KH had decreased significantly. I still liked KH, sure, but that wasn't my focus. After staying active for one summer I disappeared again and came back the following summer. I've been a regular since, barring a few week absences here and there. Khv means a lot to me and I have no idea why. Maybe it's the nostalgia, maybe it's the community, I don't know. People makes jokes about not being able to leave, but for me, I don't want to leave.

11. Antidote Façade

This is definitely one of the best communities I've had the pleasure of being around, I'll give you that. This has always been a big part of my childhood. The games and this site went hand in hand.

I think I am definitely one of the members who had been gone the longest (came back last October after 4, nearly 5 years).

The only reason I can give is that I was finally ready. Without going into too much detail, I had a rough few years, and I'm sure you all know it's hard to juggle things when you're going through **** in life, so I just gave up.

On returning, no one knows who I am, and that's ok. There was like 1 person I actively talked to who was still here, and I was kinda saddened to see that a lot of others I talked to/enjoyed seeing around hadn't been on for years either. I was very immature and annoying years ago and I probably left a bad taste in people's mouths anyway lol.

I still enjoy being here without being a staple to the site, even just as an observer who posts here and there.

12. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I think my reason for returning was quite shallow. I was a very active n00b back in the days of 07 and 08 as I worked very hard to reach premium, of course when I got there that was that, I reached my goal. I also became less active because I applied to be on staff and didn't get very far at all so I left, I had friends but no one super concrete that I would have stayed for (I remember HellKitten who I was very close with but we remained in contact over facebook and MSN).

Anyway, my reason for returning, well, I don't think I ever got rid of KHV as my homepage, I think it was to keep me updated or just as a reminder because it was quite an important place that I still held dearly in my heart. I then saw the staff holding a video editing competition for BBS and I felt inspired! I wanted to enter something because I hadn't done much editing in a while so this was the time to get back into it. I made it, I came third which made me so happy and I felt very good about myself and I just stayed and that was back in 2010. I think it was the community because I was more mature and there were less members which I sort of preferred because I was a nobody back in the day but now I was able to make something of myself and I felt like I fit in. I was also fascinated and spurred on by rep xD

Also, I vowed that I would never apply for staff again after I was rejected back in 08 because I couldn't take the rejection any more. A thread came up about the site looking for staff and I resisted sending in an app for so long until I finally gave in. I was over the moon that I got an interview but refused to let myself run away with the idea until one day I came only to see Jayn and Plums had been promoted. I was crushed and had to get off the site, I came back on later that day because I refused to let this rejection force me out of a community I loved so much. That was when RVR told me to get on MSN and I was like ERHMAHGERD! And I was promoted along with Claw- so it's a good job I didn't stay away xD

13. Fellangel Bichael May

I'm pretty damn old on this site. I left without saying a word around 2009ish. Every now and then, I would somehow take a quick glance on this site and just take a few minutes of the memories before I moved onto another page. I dunno.

I left because...I felt really lonely on this site. My friends (which was like 2 or three) left off in their lives. I just hung around, commenting here and there and realizing it was pointless as I couldn't make any connections to anyone (not to mention lots of stuff happened ion my life so I was feeling very wooshy around this time) and disappeared, knowing there was no one to say goodbye to (wahh sorry for the sad depressing stuff :c)

I came back around 2013 for some odd reason. I don't know. Maybe it was since KH3 was announced and I wanted to see the reactions? Maybe the RP Arena called me back since I loved to RP? Whatever the reason I was given a warm welcome (well no one really knew me so I felt like a new mem and suff) and decided to start over again, making my name here. As of now, absolutely nothing changed but I hope to change that soon! xD

14. Plums Wakanda Forever

I signed up because of a Pokemon RP. :v are u proud of my jayn

But nah, vBulletin had some kind of limit on how much you could look at certain threads as a guest, and I was so into seeing how that RP happened, I ended up signing up. Needless to say, I ended up forgetting all about it lol and posted pretty sporadically. My first friends here were @Xaale and @Janime6, along with @Ah eff. I remember being a bit intimidated posting around because I was a nobody, but people thought I was kinda funny so it was like w/e.

I used to be pretty intimidated by staff since all the staff at the forum I had been on before KHV were all pretty to themselves. I remember in like...mid-2010, I wanted to be friends with Misty because she seemed nice & cool, but I was a chickenshit. Eventually, I ended up falling into really good friendships with some members, namely @Juicy, @Aura, @Alex856, @Spunk Ransom, @Clear_so_you_can't_See, and @Fearless. I also ended up being buds with Wolfie because we bonded over ZOIDS and KENSHIN, Stardust because of CINAMMON THE VM, Chev and Jelly because of Voxli, and so on. Over time, I became pretty popular even though I didn't really...see it or acknowledge it I guess? I dunno, I still felt like much the same as I did when I joined, except I posted pretty often in Spam and had more friends.

Come 2011 I made that one story about Misty killing people, which was around the time we became friends (which was weird as **** to me because being friends with an Admin was possible???). Around sometime in 2010, I had applied to be staff, but never got to the interview process. 2011 saw the interview process, and eventually I was hired and was both freaked out and also trying to do everything in my sections, lol. I'll never forget my first Postbox message being like "I used to never see you that much really, but now you're everywhere" and that was a pretty nice summary of me around that time. I met a lot of great people through working on staff, and hope to meet more as time goes on.

Basically, I came for an RP, then ended up staying because of friends. Quite a few of them aren't really around anymore, and it'd be silly to deny part of why I come around still is out of obligation & duty esp. since becoming Admin, but I also really like the site and the community. KHV has given me many a test in patience, quite a few headaches, and a few issues I'm still trying to finish sorting through, but at the same time, it helped me blossom into someone better than I was when I signed up. The friendships I've made here and the struggles have all shaped me to grow and adjust, and idk. I just really enjoy being around you guys.

tl;dr: NAKAMA

15. Fearless A good and beautiful child

I suppose I should post, as I do hold the honor of being an '06 member.

I actually originally joined before KHV made that move that deleted all the members (I forget when that happened, now) but, as I wasn't an active person at the time (being like 12 or something), I didn't end up re-joining until December 2006. I originally joined because I was really big into making AMVs at the time (they all sucked) and ya'll were the easiest place to get clips. I thought you had to join to get access to the clips, so sign up I did.

I'mma be honest, I have no idea what compelled me to become an active member, but I'm so glad I did. I guess I stay for the people. Y'all got me through some of the toughest times of my life and put up with me both as a noob and a depressing sack of dumb and I <3 you guys.

Also, as we all know, KHV is actually a black hole. You can never leave.

16. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

• Out of all the things I like, KH is the only one popular enough to still have an active forum
    • It's nice to have a place to unleash my various creative works
    • I've been to a lot of forums, and as they go this one's pretty tame
    • You guys are legitimately more mature than people my age
    • THEM LAYDEEZ
    The reason I came back is because I felt bad about the way I left. I didn't want KH-V to remember me as a ragequitter, even if I'd continued to be as active a participant in the community as a banned member could be. That and... well, I've been through a lot with you guys, and I don't feel my debt is repaid yet.

17. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Read my mind dude. This ^ so much this ^

18. Deathsight44 Kingdom Keeper

From what I've experienced, it tends to be just that a lot of the people here have actual ties with a lot of other members.

I'm definitely not one of the more well known members, but I know that a lot of people who actually meant something to me originally came from here. Hell, I've had family, a best friend, and an ex come from this place. And every time I've come back, I've always been able to find people here that I can catch up with on my return.

In general, it's the place where you go when you want to catch up with the past that doesn't involve a social networking site, and just a bunch of people that liked Kingdom Hearts. Kind of like a comfort zone for people that shared in what's probably a shared piece of a lot of our childhoods, just like the site itself became. And frankly the site itself hasn't died down at all, so it comes to the point that it can be similar to the same philosophy of visiting a parent's house.

That's my take.

19. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

Mine was a lot like Llave. I left for about a yearish during 2010 - 2011. I wasn't a well - known member back then. It was only people in the RPA that knew who I was and barely because I never associated with them outside of the roleplays I was in. To be completely honest, I don't even remember why I left.

I think it had to do with a lack of RPs to join at the time and school, and boyfriends, and not having internet at my house. It wasn't until I moved out and was in summer school so that I could graduate that I came back to the site. I had a strong desire to roleplay again and came up with my own to post. I joined a few others but nothing was serious and it was another year and a half before anyone really started to know who I was.