Visualizing while Reading...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by SoraUchiha, May 17, 2010.

1. SoraUchiha Traverse Town Homebody

You know when your reading and you visualize the characters and their surrounding environment,Question Who did you visualize and on what book??

It is said that the mind fills in gaps,such as appearance when it comes to reading-So tell the world!!

An Example is that when I'm reading the Twilight saga,I always imagine 'Edward' as that Vampire Guy in the Evanescence music Video for 'Call Me When Your Sober' and For 'Alice' I always Imagine Dakota Fanning dressed as 'Jane' in New Moon for some reason...lol

No spamming please,im not in the mood-And nither is anyone else really.

2. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

I try to visualize in every book I read. I especially try to visualize when reading The Silmarillion, because it makes it a hell of a lot easier to understand.

3. raceing227 Destiny Islands Resident

On the book Warriors #1 I imagined Firepaw to be a rust-like colour. When I saw a picture of him, he was light orange.

4. Mvalentine King's Apprentice

I visualise everything I read...While readying Harry potter I pictured Sirius...Quite similar to the actor 'cept with longer more dog-like hair.

5. ShibuyaGato Transformation

I do it too. In Cirque Du Freak I pictured Darren being more childlike than in the movie since he's supposed to be twelve and not sixteen. Also in Twilight I pictured Carlisle with brown hair for some odd reason. I never thought of him as being blonde.

6. Aura Goddess

In every book I read I visualize everything, especially in the book Brave New World. Since that book can be a bit confusing at first, I visualize everything I read. But since when it comes to visualizing, I like to see every detail, it might take me longer to read a book because of that. << I need to know every detail.

7. Rexyggor_thenewmember Twilight Town Denizen

When I read the first half of Eragon (before I lost the book at school somehow [and I still have the cover because I didn't bring it to school that day]) I always imagined Eragon as Morty from Shaman King. At least I think that's his name. The really short one.

Also I loved the Pendragon series I always had a hard time visualizing the characters Spader, Saangi, Nevva, and Siry.

8. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

I can't imagine not visualizing something while reading. All the characters are there in my head. Some of the time, characters look like people I know. And sometimes they'll be completely from my imagination and won't look like anyone I've ever seen before. If I've seen the movie before reading the book, they will often look like the actor who played that character. Sometimes I'll cast actors in my head. For example, Hodge in the Mortal Instruments series looked and still looks like David Thewlis in my head.

9. Sakura Angel Traverse Town Homebody

In twilight way befor i saw the moive and all that in my head she looked liked Rima from vampire knight and for some odd reason I thought Jasper was a red head. Also read a book called a sertain slant of light book was very well done. As I was reading it from the point of veiw from helen she was in a class room and I imaged it as a old run down class room :3 its weird what your head comes up with when your reading a book but its fun ^^

10. Clear_so_you_can't_See Traverse Town Homebody

I visualize when I read, sometimes not always accurate to the character's description but still visualizing.
    It's probably why it takes my so long to read books.

11. (╯°□°)╯︵ ıɥsoɯ Hollow Bastion Committee

I visualize everyone I read about in a strory mainly. Most of the time it's books from Nicholas Sparks. For example, I'd vizualize Matt being shy around Julie in The Guardian. I love to see in my head how thing come together as a picutre while I'm reading.​

12. Fayt-Harkwind Where yo curly mustache at?

I tend to visualise and use sounds as well, granted, my vision is different from any other vision of a directors who created they're adaption of the book on film but that's what reading is about. Your way of imagination. Like when I read the Hobbit, I always seem to imagine little laughing Scottish men as the dwarves in scaley armour.

13. Nathaniel Twilight Town Denizen

It depends on the words used. Some books I can really watch while reading, others are just words that don't spark any imagination in my mind. *coughTwilight'snonuseofadjectivescough*

14. MandyXRiku4ever Twilight Town Denizen

It depends like if tyheres alot of detail or you can make up your own in romeo and juliet, i actually would imagine myself being in that sitauation. y'know?

15. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I actually believe there is a difference between visualizing and placing yourself in the book. For instance when I would read Inkheart, or Inkspell I wouldn't visualize the characters, I would literally put myself in there place. It took at least three attempts from a friend of mine to tell me that class was over, because I was so deep in the book I was no longer in reality. I believe a lot of people confuse this for visualizing. Visualizing means more like you are watching everything happening from a distance, at a viewpoint. What most people actually do is see things from the main or a few of the main characters viewpoints so as to not only read the book, but live it too. This is a fun an interesting way to expand your horizons as if you are fully capable of seeing from another viewpoint you can not only read better but you can understand people better too. One last thing, while watching one of my most favorite shows, Supernatural, I am not only visualy seeing the show from one perspective but from many. Half the time I could literally guess what the characters would say before they said it, this can also help in writing. Thank you goes to anyone who actually read my whole post here, sorry it's so long but I like detail.

16. Nova We left a scar size extra-large.

I visualize everything. Sometimes I'll even stop reading and draw what I think the setting and different things look like. Alot of times, I'll picture the people in books as people I know in real life that best depict the personality of that character, and most of the time I visualize the characters as someone not even matching the character description :/gasp:

17. Shadox D. Twilight Town Denizen

I always try to visualize when I read because it gives me a clear picture of what is going on (in my mind) so I actually use my brain for something lol xD

18. Always Dance Chaser

Usually if the main characters are my age I visualize them as me and my friends, depending on who i think fits the role the most. I usually visualize every character as someone I know this way (age, who fits the role). I very rarely imagine new people. I usually do it if the book gives an explicit description what they look like. Or a picture, although that's rare.

Also if I've seen a movie of the book before reading it, I usually always visualize the cast of the movie. I'm about to read Cirque Du Freak, and I'm going to try as hard as I can not to this time...

19. jojoj13 Hollow Bastion Committee

I always visualize on what happens in the book. But the problem is always where it is set. I cannot imagine where they really are. So sometimes I just visualize them in a different place other than where it is supposed to be. I also imagine how they sound most often, but sometimes, when it doesn't really say what his name or gender is, I usually just imagine him as a guy. Hah.

20. demonchick25 Hollow Bastion Committee

I can't help but visualize anything I read. I see it as more of a realistic drawing or computer model. It's not limited to what actual people look like.

I'm reading the Uglies series. And it's interesting to try to visualize the same person looking three completely different ways.