Virtual Reality MMO-styled RP

Discussion in 'Retirement Home' started by Boy Wonder, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

"You mean Sword Art Online, right?" is probably what you're thinking.

And yes, I do. But also, no, I don't.

So I'm late to the SAO party and just started watching it (Episode 5 right now). I'm enjoying it, but I'm not too far into it to know the details of the story well enough to make an SAO RP. However, I'm thinking of doing a similar styled RP where each Role-Player plays a character (or more, but with a small limit) and enters a virtual reality MMO, just like SAO but an original one of our own creation. Like the actual series (or so I hear), once we finish one game, we go into another. We'll keep the main quests of each game defined with a definite ending. After beating the main quest of the first game, we'll move the player characters to a new game with a different setting, different classes, different story, and maybe even different mechanics.
    There's even the possibility of carrying some element from each game to the next and having "irl" bits with the players.
    The game mechanics wouldn't be too complicated. Just something easy to get into with a defined feeling different from the other games.
    Any thoughts?

2. Ghost King's Apprentice

I like this idea, sounds fun c:

3. Glen Returned from the dead

The amount of approval I have for this idea goes beyond words.

4. Aelin Best Waifu

I think it could be quite interesting and fun. Are you thinking just one group of players, or perhaps two guilds or so competing to complete each set of quests first to move one?

5. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Not sure yet. It would really depend on everyone else's input.
    The way I see it, there are three ways we can set it up with the idea of moving game-to-game that I have:

1) No guilds; at least not any relevant ones. Anyone can have their character be in a guild (even with other Role-Players), but it won't be relevant to the actual story.

2) One -possibly two- relevant guilds of which everyone participating is a part. The story would be centered on that guild(s) specifically.

3) Rival guilds. The story would involve some kind of rivalry between the two. Either one is purposely antagonizing the other or it's taken the role of the villains of the story. It could also be a competition between the two.

6. Aelin Best Waifu

In my opinion two or three would likely be the best/most realistic. MMO's tend to be based around team work and are hard to accomplish without a team or a guild of some sort. If there was a group of people each from different guilds working together to beat the games, the guild leaders probably wouldn't be happy that you aren't working with your own team.

The third one would probably depend on the amount of people who join, whether or not it is possible. Two guilds and five players don't make up for very good teams really, but if you do get the interest it could be a lot of fun.

7. Shuhbooty moon child

SOLD.

I think the guild idea would be cool, or maybe in the start of the RP everyone is a rouge until they reach a certain level TOO gain guilds? SAO is a dope show, but I play constant MMOs and I love doing Rps with them (mmorpgs huehue).

8. jackdaniel0 Twilight Town Denizen

Definitely interested, though it feels like battles would be one of the more complicated parts of the roleplay to try and write out because of stats between the player and the monster and RNG.
    Also, so you've started watching SAO?
    ...Well, I'll warn you right now that it starts out pretty fine but later on it just gets...Put it this way, a lot of people prefer the abridged version over the original.

9. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I like it so far, but it seems a bit overhyped to me. Strangely enough, the first arc seemed like it was abridged to me but the second's pace is weird.
    Battles won't be completely stat-based at all and the stat system will have to be really simplified. I've been wanting to start reading litrpgs to see how they do it, but I haven't had the time to pick a book out!

I'm pulling 50+ hour work weeks since last week due to unforeseen circumstances so I haven't had time to iron out my idea, but I'll get to it this weekend. Any other thoughts You guys can think of, Ill appreciate!

10. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Thinking of game ideas. Obviously, we have the option of taking the ones from Sword Art Online (considering using that one as the first one), but I definitely want original ideas. One thing I'm thinking of is a war-based one where the Classes are based on soldiers (Infantrymen, Tank Commanders, Snipers, Medics, etc.). Someone also suggested to me taking actual properties (anime, video games, films, etc.) and making MMOs based off those for the sake of the RP. Anybody have any suggestions on any of it, even the kind of genre for the original games?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.