"Videogames caused 9/11"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Roxas is Hot, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roxas is Hot I'd lick his Sea Salt stick anytime. ♥

According to this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIu3JMGxk3Q

I smell...BS.

2. Sir Charles of Monocles The Fault in Our Stars

How could they?! Videogames are way for us to relax. I admit, playing violent videogames might make you get angry sooner but this? This guy probably wanted a PS2 but didnt get one so he go angry.

3. Jade Rhade King's Apprentice

Legitimate pilots use flight simulators for training, too.

4. Laurence_Fox Chaser

And soldiers use video games to train in simulated situations. This is just another sad instance of the 'Point-the-Finger Syndrome' epidemic that is running rampant through our government.

5. kingdomkutie Merlin's Housekeeper

We had a debate similar to this in my English class sometime last week. It was about what makes people good & evil & someone had said violence such as video games & guns. I don't remember who said what but someone made a really good point about how video games themselves aren't what causes violence, it's the people who try to imitate the video games that causes violence.

6. Roxas is Hot I'd lick his Sea Salt stick anytime. ♥

I laughed when I was posting this. Once again, people have to blame it on video games. I know, they're getting violent as technology gets better, but hell.

7. Shin_is_beeping Destiny Islands Resident

That is just a piece of bull. Video games have no effect on our world except for entertainment. What's next? Blaming it on global warming?

8. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

Well from objective studies playing violent video games do increase aggression more so than any other violent medium currently out there. And follow-ups have found that after playing a violent video game participants in an experiment were more willing to increase the number of faux electrical shocks on another person.

Yes they are a form of entertainment but like everything else in the world they affect us much more in other ways. The point isn't about the medium it's who is using and how they're are using it. It's like saying knives are responsible for violent crimes. Yes they can be, but they can also be used at the dinner table. it's about understanding the context of things. Parents need to take an active role in their children's lives and not only pay attention to what their kids are playing but also explain to them that it's not real.

9. Shin_is_beeping Destiny Islands Resident

It just all depends on who's playing really, and besides there are some good things that video games are used for. Like doctors and soldiers.

10. Destiny's Force Mess with the best, lose like the rest...

Jack Thompson...again?

Seriously, this guy might be smart enough to be an attorney and whatever, but the whole crusade thing is pretty much a waste of everyone's time.

He can blame video games all he wants, but this guy ain't Phoenix Wright. He's made a lot of outrageous claims and can't really back anything up.

He's blamed video games for suicide bombings and kids shooting up their own schools. There was that one case where a high schooler shot students before shooting himself and Jack said it was because he was playing Halo 2. (If I'm wrong, oh well. I'm just trying to make a point.) The police searched the murderer's apartment and guess what? There was no copy of Halo 2 anywhere, let alone any gaming system! The authorities checked his computer's logs. Oops, no mention of Halo in there either!

So basically, his accusations are less than credible. He's told the public that his motivation is his Christian background. Now if that's his only excuse, then it's pretty much like that one X-Men storyline where anti-mutant religious groups are killing mutants to "purify" the world. (Yeah, I'm using a comic book reference. Sue me.) For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, I'm pretty much saying that certain people don't want certain ideas to live, so they destroy it with violence.

However, I don't want to hear him say how the Kingdom Hearts series is all about clubbing people with metal objects and has many perverse sexual issues that are responsible for pedophiles and homophobes doing their thing. If he does, I swear that he's going to get a few unexpected "gifts" from seriously ticked off KH fans.

I can bash the guy all day, but I've got other matters to attend to. In short: Jack Thompson's a Christian lawyer, he blames video games for all the violence that makes the news media, and he's entitled to his own opinion, but doesn't have to bring the rest of the game community down to his level.

11. .Kairi. Kingdom Keeper

That's just ridiculous. Seems that people have nothing better to do than point fingers. I have never heard of someone blaming video games like that. IMO He probably has never played any of the games he accuses either.
    If people play video games and kill people because of what they see in the game, then they have problems, and this guy shouldn't be blaming the whole video game community.

12. Shin_is_beeping Destiny Islands Resident

They should look for all of the positive things video games has done. I mean some video games have alot of good morals as do movies and now they're inventing educational video games, too.

13. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

Well keep in mind he's only lobbying for the removal and banning of actual violent video games that simulate possible violence. His main "holy trinity" of shut down is Counter Strike, Halo, and Manhunt. He's never even said anything about rpgs or KH. Your X-Men ****ogy isn't really the best fit either. He's simply appealing from a morally absolute and uncompromising point of view which is why his points, although valid at times, can just be plain ridiculous.

14. Destiny's Force Mess with the best, lose like the rest...

Okay, I withdraw the X-men ****ogy (Why haven't they fixed the filter yet?!!). And you're right. To be honest, I didn't even know about this guy until I saw his name come up on Youtube (while I was searching Phoenix Wright). Still, it's kinda sad that one who doesn't understand what he's up against can be completely absolute and unyielding on taking down something that's already out there. (Yeah, I'm being slightly hypocritical.) I'm surprised he hasn't tried going against Call of Duty, Men of Honor and U.S. Air Combat. They're exactly the same concept only they use real life situations instead of made-up fantasy.

15. Hakurei Reimu Take my hand. And then I'll fly with you right up

total bs...seriously, ppl need to stop blaming videogames for every single crap happening in the world.

16. DogBoyX King's Apprentice

in a Smash Bros brand box Obsession: Death N
    can someone just tell me how a simple video game can influence people who don't own or can't play them to drive a plane into the World Trade Center?

17. Repliku Chaser

Jack Thompson and people like him want to live in their ideal society where there is no diversity, no outlet for fun, no nothing for enjoyment. I start to wonder if people like this seriously should not just go find some island somewhere and populate it so that they can all have no video games, only Christian music 24/7, Christian media television programs, the same sort of attire for all people that covers everything neck and below, etc. Here comes my rant. Whee~

According to these sorts of people:

- Video games are responsible for violence: Reality: How so? If anything they are ways for people to explore, imagine, and enjoy a world of some game design. It's like watching a movie but you get to play in it.

The only people affected: Those who are mentally unstable. Those who also take drugs which are mood altering and mind messing drugs like Meth, cocaine, etc. These people can be pretty darn out there.

- Music such as heavy metal, rock, rap etc is evil and causes people to act wrong because it is full of hate: Reality: Many people have enjoyed it and just because some music sings about the devil, a hard night, rocking till the morning, dancing around, getting drunk, having some fights, dragons and mystical stuff, darker emotions some people try to deny...it's music. Not everyone likes to listen to how Jesus is going to save them 24/7. There are other things out there. Also, a lot of these people love 'country music' which sings about getting drunk, violence to women, cheating people, shooting people, gambling, doing sexy line dancing, etc. It's just as bad as any other genre of music out there but sounds debatably more 'pretty' to the ear.

The only people affected: Those who don't have a real grip on life and the mentally unstable. Those also who are stuck in areas where the environment socially around them sucks and they have to fit in somewhere. Fixing the actual environment may change the way people do music and produce different things. Music is an expression of what is going on around. Don't blame the music, blame the people that make others live in crappy areas that they feel stuck to.

- Movies, TV and media cause violence: Reality. No, they show things. As for the news (which somehow also gets picked on for sometimes being too graphic), what is there in reality is really there. Why are we dodging the truth? As for tv shows and movies with guns and swords etc...for most of us they are fun! It's a chance to imagine, see and visualize an author's design of a world, and let us escape some b**** reality for a while.

Who it affects: The mentally unstable again. Those who cannot separate reality from fiction or make themselves want that reality so bad they go out of their way to make it happen in their lives. Lets also add in the people that take mind affecting drugs because this also makes them unstable mentally.

Clothing that is inappropriate gets women raped: The Reality: Most women or children for that matter, are raped by someone they -know- at least cordially. They are not all wearing smuttastic attire that says 'rape me now'. They can be wearing sweat pants and a jacket, business attire, etc. I've been to seminars at college that I interrupted because some man who was a zealot Christian was trying to preach to girls there and some guys were there as well, and saying that 'men can't help themselves' so women should cover up more. This is utter stupidity. I refuse to believe the p'enis controls someone that badly that they see a woman with a slinky dress, or skorts or whatever and suddenly, ker-blammo! I'm a rapist?? No way. Rape is done by men or women out seemingly mostly a problem with the answer 'no', the will to dominate over someone else, and much of the time, a seeming inferiority complex they want to rise above. Rapists are generally 'angry' people. It has little if anything to do with clothing, but more the woman becomes 'prey' or the kid does.

Who it affects: no one. Men have used this as an excuse in court and judges had in the past even excused a man of rape for how a woman dresses or if a kid is proven to 'act' promiscuous. However, in reality, only a deranged mentally unstable person can possibly use that as an excuse because his reality is through a twisted mind. It simply is not true. Rape has happened probably since the dawn of mankind and I seriously doubt women who were in villages ransacked by the Crusades and other major wars, were all dressed sexy for the soldiers that barraged through. Rape really needs to be re-evaluated on the Christian front of things. It's a dominance and hate crime, as well as a sexual one.

In the end, it seems to me that some people are -born- or environmentally raised to become violent by not so loving parents etc. Even investigating serial killers and deranged serial killers, you can see the pattern of it and these people are NOT just watching movies or playing video games. We have to learn to accept that some people are as they are, with some wiring different from others and deal with -them- and stop -them-, not our activities that make people happy. If we cater to fear all the time, we won't have anything left to enjoy, be back in a Dark Ages period and STILL there will be homicidal people out there.

What killed the people of 9/11 was zealous fanatic religious people. What makes people burn books, torture others, etc is that fanaticism and a fact that these people cannot decipher reality from fiction because they are fed the 'facts' that they are born into a world of 'sin' and they utterly are soaked into this thinking habit. I know plenty of Islamic followers that are not zealots and you know what? They are mentally sound people and fun to be around, some also play video games and listen to 'devil music' etc. They are regular people. It's not Islam that is bad. It's those who are teaching these people to believe in a fictional world without the use of video games etc, and instead they point at video games as a reason to condemn us all. The same with music and movies etc. The same with having money.

In simple, we are -evil- to fanatics, whether they are Christian or of Islamic faith, when these people are trained as zealots. We have our fanatics here that try to remove the fun of the regular normal people because THEY live in a fantasy world of their own creation. They may never touch a single game and yet have fabricated for themselves this delusion that if they got rid of anything that they think is blasphemous, evil, and spurns on aggression in humans, that life would be just dandy. They also want to remove anything that brings people joy at all because that too is a sin. It seems anymore we have two fronts to fight and one is extremist fundamentalist Christians and the other is the zealot fanatical Islamic followers. Most of us just want to be in between, enjoy life, believe in what we do and be left the hell alone because we are not trying to hurt others or go out of our way to control anyone or make life miserable.

My apologies on yet another wild long rant, but the real problem to me in the end seems to be that the extremists are the ones living in a fantasy world and those who have mentally incapacitating diseases that block them from seeing reality for what it is are also the problem. I just don't want to see all of our freedoms sucked away because of 'fear' that some people have and they target the wrong things, as usual.

18. Roxas is Hot I'd lick his Sea Salt stick anytime. ♥

How do you find the time to type that all? O_o +Reps.

I totally have to agree with you/everyone else. Just another reason to blame video games.

19. DogBoyX King's Apprentice

in a Smash Bros brand box Obsession: Death N
    Dude... what are your fingers made of?

i agree... everything i could possibly say, Repliku has...

20. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.