Tom Waits

Discussion in 'Music' started by Sebax, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Sebax Avatar by Xerona

So recently I have discovered the unique artistic style of a Mr. Tom Waits, who has been in the business of making music for over 40 years, and also someone I did not realize had performed a certain Ear worm from a film called "Robots" that I have not been able to get out of my head since childhood. This gravelly voiced singer, I have to admit, I can't hear enough of. His style is so diverse and it spans such a wide variety of sounds, not to mention he's inventive and creates new instruments to suit his needs. He once built an instrument using a Garbage dumpster with a hole cut in the side and piano strings placed inside of it!​
    I had no idea who this guy was until I saw him in "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus" two or three months ago after I rented the film from my local library. Once I found out he was a musician, I had to see if I knew any of his music; as it turns out I did, and that song, like I said, has been periodically stuck in my head for nearly a decade! No song gets stuck up there like that for so long with me, so I consider it pretty laughable how I remembered it all this time until I found out who sang it.​
    Particularly, I like his more theatrical-sounding tunes, the bluesy and novelty ones. I like "Cemetery Polka", "Heart Attack and Vine", "Underground" which is the one I had stuck in my head, "Tango til they're sore", "Step Right Up", "Invitation to the Blues", "The Piano has been drinking", and I just want to say that I never have this many favorite tunes from a single source and there's the fact this isn't all-inclusive. xD​
    Kh-vids.net, what you do you think of Tom Waits? Ever heard of him? Seen him in a movie? Heard his music? If I just introduced you to him, what do you think of him now?​