Anime Tokyo ESP

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga' started by Bite the Dust, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Bite the Dust Traverse Town Homebody

東京ESP
    Tokyo ESP

[​IMG]

Synopsis:

Urushiba Rinka was a fairly normal high school girl, though she was a bit poor and her only family was her father. Then one day, she saw a penguin and some glowing fish swimming through the sky. Rinka might have thought it was a hallucination if there hadn't been another witness with her, a boy from her school with a strangely scratched-up face.

Contact with a fish caused her to pass out, and when she awoke, she had developed the power to move through inanimate objects... such as the floor of her apartment! Later, a call from her father showed her that she was not the only one the flying fish bestowed with hard-to-control superpowers! What exactly is going on here? And does Rinka's classmate know more about this situation than he's letting on?

(Synopsis courtesy of MangaHelpers)

Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Ecchi, Sci-fi, Shonen, Super Powers, Supernatural
    Author: Hajime Segawa
    Animation: XEBEC
    Director: Shigehito Takayanagi
    Personal Rating: 9/10​

Read it at Batoto

Opinions:

Something has to be said about a series that introduces its female protagonist by having her phase through the floor of her room and fall into the room below with nothing but her bra and panties to the surprise of her downstairs neighbor. I started reading this series out of pure curiosity and fell in love with it. It was extremely quirky and unapologetic about it. There was also the part of me that loved X-Men that made me love the series all the more. The main character is essentially a more badass version of Kitty Pryde, her companion is a mask-wearing, normal skinned Nightcrawler, and the main character's dad looks and fights like Wolverine with the abilities of Magneto. You could essentially call this the Japanese version of X-Men.

Another thing that made me absolutely love it was all of the cameos. And not just cameos of other manga characters. I am talking full on Hollywood movie cameos. Is your yakuza boss King Leonidas from 300? Is your mentor a perverted Yoda-looking old man wearing a panda suit? Is your bartender Steven Seagal? Yeah, I didn't think so. Not to mention, Ray and Egon of Ghostbusters fame also make an appearance in there somewhere. Like I said, unapologetic.

I would absolutely recommend you read this series and watch the anime when it starts on July 11th. If not for the X-men plotline, then do it for all of the cameos.

2. Ghost King's Apprentice

Oh, man. So I started watching this and I was like eh, it's not that great but I decided to keep watching anyway. And I'm so glad I did because now I'm like totally hooked on this and I caught up on the manga two weeks ago and daaaaang. This is totally awesome and you guys really need to watch this. There is a flying flippim' penguin!!! And if you can wait it gets even more awesome with timeskips, ice, and time freezing.

3. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

The fights are great, It is like "how would the X men fight, if they knew how to fight" (nothing against, comics, but there is no strategy or cool moves, only more POWER!), many characters that have powers we see on X men or even less power than the originals (like the white girl that unlike Kitty pryde can't go through humans only objects) fight way better.
    With that being said.. the plot and the characters are far less amazing than their comics counterparts, I could drop it at any time soon.