To Kill a Mockingbird

Discussion in 'Literature' started by kowae7, Mar 14, 2008.

1. kowae7 Traverse Town Homebody

So, did anyone like this book? And why?

Because personally I didn't like the characters of this book, so I stopped reading it the first time I tried.

Then I had to read it for my English class, my freshman year, and I still don't like this book.

I think it has a good lesson to learn, but I don't like the characters especially Dill.

2. sakayoyo Destiny Islands Resident

I agree with u on this.
    I had to read it for my lit class.
    And i couldnt read it without falling asleep.

3. Nobody's Shadow Kingdom Keeper

In a room where it's nine in the afternoon.
    I love this book. I read it once just for the sake of it and then once for an independent assignment. I suppose I like it because the story and characters are so well developed.

4. kowae7 Traverse Town Homebody

The book was okay but I would not reccomend it.

If you want to read another book that's kind of the same as To Kill a Mockingbird it would be A Time to Kill by John Grisham.

5. Forever Love Life Without Limits

Like you guys, I had to read it for my English CP class. I must admit, it was rather boring. Even though it had pretty boring parts, I really did enjoy it. It's just the characters' developments. They go through a lot but also grow more into character, if you catch my drift. The point of it was pretty pointless, but it was still a good book. Boo Radley was pretty much hidden until the ending, after he helped Jem and Scout out a bit. I will also admit a few parts gave me the chills and freaked me out a bit, but it was good nonetheless.

Of course, if it wasn't for my class, I wouldn't have read it myself. But it really got me into reading, if that helps in any case.

Well, there's my opinion on things.

-Kairi

6. Aura Goddess

I'm currently reading that book.I have to read it for my Engilsh class.Its very confusing in the beginning.So far I don't like that book.I would rather read A Child Call 'It' or Marley&Me.

7. kowae7 Traverse Town Homebody

Has anyone seen the movie?

It's different from the book in a lot of ways. Some stuff that is suppose to happen towards the end or middle of the book happens in the beginning and some events in the book don't happen.

Plus I think the actor that played Dill looked funny. The guy who played Atticus looks a lot like Christopher Reeves.

8. Pure Beats~ Chaser

I just finished reading this book for my Literature Class.

I liked the book...somewhat. I liked how the story was told and I liked most of the characters, especially Scout.

The only thing I didn't like was the outcome of the court case for Tom Robinson. I hated the way that came out. But knowing what it was like back then, I wasn't too surprised. I still didn't like it, but I wasn't surprised.

We're going to watch the movie Friday. I'm somewhat interested to see what the movie is like compared to the book.

9. hidden_light Traverse Town Homebody

It seems nearly everyone had to read it for English...me including...XD
    I had to read it for my pre-ap class and I have to say its a bit slow and confusing at the beginning but the plot, characters, and just really the developement of things made it actually quite enjoyable once you really get into it..XD

I've never seen the movie. Personally I hate seeing movies based on books because often ,due to the time constraint and all the information that has to be put into it, its never actually like the book and sometimes it just ruins it for me...XP

10. kowae7 Traverse Town Homebody

Sucks doesn't it? Racism is something that will never end until everyone that believes in it stops. I can't believe that everyone would believe in someone because of their skin color then if it is the truth. A person is a person no matter how small. What was worst was when Tom got shot like 17 times when he was trying to get away in prison, when one was enough.

I know the full extent what racism is because I'm asian and a lot of people stereotype me all the time. Just don't let it get you down.

11. Princess Snow White I feel such an isomniac.

We had to read it and watch the movie in English class.
    It shows how people showed racsism and the hate of one another because of race. I found it wrong that Atticus proved that Tom Robinson didn't rape that girl yet they sent him to prison anyway.
    And I think Dil is so adorable in the movie.

12. libregkd -

13. Hakurei Reimu Take my hand. And then I'll fly with you right up

I had to read it as a summer assignment for AP English.

If you think the book sucked while reading during the school year...well...it's worst reading through the summer. (procrastination FTW :D)

14. deven5 Merlin's Housekeeper

Read it for a class assignment. And I liked Dill and Scout. And the begining made me sleepy....basically if it wasn't for the Tom Robinson trial then I would just fail the assignment from boredom.

15. kowae7 Traverse Town Homebody

Nobody liked the first half of the book it was boring.

Sucks that Tom got shot 17 times. Wasn't one enough?

16. .Kairi. Kingdom Keeper

It wasn't too bad after the beginning, though it seemed to move very slowly throughout the story. The movie, thank goodness, was shorter when I had to watch it.

17. Namine-x Merlin's Housekeeper

Cba with the book -
    Was v.naughty && watched the movie instead
    I try not to do that but i couldn't help myself

18. HellKitten Kingdom Keeper

In my school the 8th Graders finished reading it a little while ago. They had to make posters and stuff about it. I don't know what it's about but I think they had to read it for History class.

19. Fallout Gummi Ship Junkie

I believe it fully deserved all of the publicity and awards it gained. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Although, I can see why many people wouldn't like this book. I was close to not liking it myself. My favorite character is Atticus.

20. Ansem59 Chaser

except for the bold part... I agree with everything you said... This book was the best book I have ever read... usually I can not stay into a book and I rarely read them but just reading the first few chapters made me want to read more! (this is crazier than it sounds) I was actually enjoying a book... my mom proclaimed that it was a holy miricle!