The NEW Captain America

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Destiny's Force, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Destiny's Force Mess with the best, lose like the rest...

Yeah, I can't believe it either. But for those of you who haven't been paying attention to Marvel comics in the past couple of years, Steve "Captain America" Rogers, is dead. He was assassinated indirectly by his nemesis, Red Skull.

But before he died, he chose a new Captain America to take his place. It's too early to know for sure, but Wikipedia says it's his old partner Bucky AKA Winter Soldier.

However, I believe it's James Newman, a corporal in the U.S. Marine Corps, who Captain America had telepathically spoken to in his final moments of life.

Anyway, this Captain America is a whole lot more modern than Steve Rogers was. Shiny new armor, new mask. Same 'ol shield. But, to add to his repertoire, he holds the one piece of equipment that no one had ever seen ever wield before.

A gun. Yes, that's right. The new Cap wields a gun to go with his shield.

What do you guys think of that?

2. Pirateguywithapplepie Twilight Town Denizen

Part of me thinks the new Cap will be winter soldier. But another part of me thinks that would be too obviou too obvious. Anyway there are several possibilities. Marvel had a poster up that showed a number of people that could be the new Cap. They had...Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Red Skull, Bucky, Hawkeye/Ronin, Jack Flag, and USAgent.

3. Destiny's Force Mess with the best, lose like the rest...

There is NO freakin' way that Iron Man or Red Skull could be the new Captain America. Tony's already having a hard time as it is and he's not exactly a melee fighter without the suit. Red Skull's his nemesis and it's already been confirmed by Marvel that he's still trying to kill the new one, so he's off the list. I thought Bucky and the Winter Soldier were the same guy. Hawkeye/Ronin/Clint Barton came back from the dead via the reality shift and Echo's most likely not going to be Ronin again (unless Moon Knight takes it like he did in the Ultimate Spider-Man series), so I'd rule him out. Jack Flag's paralyzed from Bullseye, so he's likely out. USAgent is a possibility as is Bucky. I'd still say it's the guy that Cap talked to in "The Chosen."

4. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

It's been officially confirmed that Bucky is indeed the new Cap. Saw it on the news.
    Anyway, about the gun. I'm fine with it. Cap needed a new look, and gun just makes him more American.
    I mean, that's pretty much how America solves all its problems. :guns:

5. Destiny's Force Mess with the best, lose like the rest...

Yeah, I finally read the issue. Of course, he might not have the superhuman strength and speed of Steve Rogers, but he still knows how to wield that shield like a pro.

And after seeing him using that gun skillfully, I think the new generation is going to like this version of Cap. :D

6. Ansem59 Chaser

poor captian america... he could have won the civil war :( but anyway i don't think that bucky should be the new captian america... but that's the writer's decision

7. Destiny's Force Mess with the best, lose like the rest...

The only way he would've won is if he turned his back on the whole purpose of the argument in the first place. He also would've lived if the Red Skull hadn't went and did the whole "murder by proxy" plan. Seriously, brainwashing his girlfriend to shoot him? That was despicable. :mad:

And who should've been Cap? Tony Stark wouldn't have done it. Neither would Clint Barton (since he's still fighting as Ronin). Bucky was chosen because he was the closest to Cap (kinda like how Robin is closest to Batman).

8. Ansem59 Chaser

well... that one guy with the face... LOL... sorry i can't remeber who right now...

9. Pirateguywithapplepie Twilight Town Denizen

Speakin' of that, Batman's apparently going to kick the bucket as well........

10. Darkcloud Word of advice: Let the wookie win. He's Chuck N

I don't really like the idea of Captain America using a gun, no matter who it is. Modern or not, there was just something symbolic about him using only a shield, like it was all self-defense or something. The gun makes it sound like it's all 'we're going to start something this time'.

11. Destiny's Force Mess with the best, lose like the rest...

Well, no one can copy Captain America in terms of Super Soldier Serum. The gun is supposed to be there to make up for the lack of strength.

12. Darkcloud Word of advice: Let the wookie win. He's Chuck N

I hear you, but still.

Actually, if you look at it proportionally, Cap didn't have super-strength: His speed, strength, stamina, etc. was upped to the level of an Olympic athlete. Combined with the military and combat training he had, is what really made him so dangerous.

13. PRT Merlin's Housekeeper

Captain America. I don;t think it should be Bucky but I wouldnt care too much. But, Captain America with a gun? It doesnt feel right. It has always been his shield blocking bullets. Well I will have to wait and see.Civil WAr was awesome.

14. Destiny's Force Mess with the best, lose like the rest...

Yup. Ol' Bucky is Captain America. The one with a gun, a metal arm and the vibranium shield. And of course, the Red Skull will still be around as sure as the Mandarin will be tormenting Iron Man or a buncha idiots think Spider-Man is a criminal. :xp: