The Giver

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JellyBeing, Nov 24, 2007.

1. JellyBeing ALL. THE. BUTTS.

I'm guessing if you've read, it's most likely been for school. As did I a few years back, it is one of my favorite books I've ever been forced to read.

I love looking at an alternate society, even if it was overwhelmingly controled. And how everything was made to sound so suttle; like dying was called 'Elsewhere' .... I think. (Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been awhile. <_>;)
    ~~~
    What did you personally think of the book? Do you think you would enjoy living in a society like that? Would you like or dis-like being assigned the job of 'The Giver?'

2. Doukuro Chaser

I read that in sixth grade not bad at all

3. O R A N G E C is the heavenly option

between an erupting earth and an exploding sky
    I actually read it on my own in 6th grade, so I wasn't forced to read it. It was just suggested to me.

I thought the book was amazing. Have you read the sister books to it? "Gathering Blue" and "The Messenger"? They're by the same author and they're both good as well. The messenger references the Giver the most, but it is a sequel to gathering blue which hardly mentions The Giver at all, so you kind of have to read both. Does that make sense? Probably not. Just read them. They're good.

I think I'd hate living in a society like that. However, if I was a member, I'd probably be content, like all of the characters, simply becuase I would be unaware that there was any other way of life.

I would much rather be the receiver of memories rather than the giver, though I suppose they are ultimately the same thing. Receiving the memories would be such a rush of emotion and completely opposite of what I'd be used to. I'd love to experience emotions for the first time.

4. JellyBeing ALL. THE. BUTTS.

Ah, no I haven't. Thank you for drawing them to my attention. I had heard about 'Gathering Blue,' but it was awhile ago so I must have simply forgotten about it. No, no.... I completely understand what you are saying.
    ~~~
    Ah, yes, I get what you mean. Thank you for your input.

5. Nobody's Shadow Kingdom Keeper

In a room where it's nine in the afternoon.
    I read The Giver several years ago so it's a tad blurry to me but I still recall bits of it. Something I remember really sticking out was the way they killed the babies. That part has got to be one of the most depressing and disturbing things I have ever read. It puts a frown on my face just thinking about it. But despite that it was a great book.

I did find the ending to be rather confusing though. But I'm probably going to try to reread it soon since my younger sister is reading it for school now. I figure it might be interesting to pick up on things I didn't notice the first time.

6. O R A N G E C is the heavenly option

between an erupting earth and an exploding sky
    Great books often have horrible things. In fact, if a book had nothing bad or horrible in it, it most likely wouldn't be great. Yeah, you should try rereading it, becuase it only seems amazing once you fully understand it.

7. Kaiionel Hollow Bastion Committee

We read it in seventh grade, though I didn't feel forced to read it. This book is very interesting, I loved it and I like to think that at the end Jonas and Gabriel reached a nice town with music and color and everything. I felt so sad when the Giver talked about Rosemary and when Jonas was watching one of the twin babies get released. The story is absolutely wonderful, though I'm sure glad I don't live in a place like that. No emotions? No individuality? That's not really living in my opinion. Gosh, his parents don't even love him.

8. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

i read it twice for school projects. once i think 4th grade, and again for 9th grade.

in the second time i read it, it made more sence than the first time i read it. after, we watched a movie like it called "plesentville" (where spider-man screws up a fictional perfect sosiety). then for our final, we had to do a diarama of our favorite scene. i choose the one where he looked at "love" around christmas time.

9. Kaiionel Hollow Bastion Committee

...Are you serious? We watched Pleasantville afterwards as well, but we didn't do the diorama. Then again, the movies are similar in ways, so a lot of teachers probably do it.

10. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

the diarama was from the giver if you got confused. the funny thing was that since it was the final before christmas break, about all the class choose the same scene.

11. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

I read Giver and Messenger. Not Blue just cause it had a female protagonist (Kira wasn't my favorite character).

12. Sara Tea Drinker

I read it, amazing story... Pretty unforgettable. I still remember the confusing ending, I still don't get it.

13. Misty gimme kiss

I love this book too. Dieing was called being 'released', amirite? I think I'd be like Jonas' friend (ironically, who's name escapes me right now) and get released for being so clumsy and forgetful. :sweatdrop:
    I felt bad knowing that one day societies like that may exist -- no color, ambition, individuality, and most of all, love. I would really hate to live in a society like that.

14. kingdom945 Banned

Jeromeykins will always be my darrellcake. &lt;3
    My friend Elizabeth told me it was really good, and that I should read it. I never got a chance myself though. All I know about it is that it's a Newbery Award book also. I had to do a book report recently on a newbery book we had read. I thought about The Giver but I wasn't sure. I picked Bridge To Terabithia instead. It was a great book.

Now that I remember, we were supposed to see the play in like forth grade. due to traffic, we missed about 2/3 of the play. now I actually feel kinda bad about missing it, though it wasn't my fault, but I think it would have been really great to see it, because I hear it's soo good.

15. Black Sinner Twilight Town Denizen

I read it several years ago for school; it was a great book, and I always read ahead even though my teacher told me not to. >.>

As for the ending, the author said something about him going home. I should probably reread it so I can understand what she meant.

16. Ravenyuki Traverse Town Homebody

I read this book in the eighth grade. I hated that it had a cliffhanger ending. Our teacher asked us to write our own endings for an assignment. Of course, I made it have a happy ending.

17. Hero Form Hollow Bastion Committee

His name is Asher. XD.

18. Saintlikesgirls Chaser

HATED the book honestly....
    it was just to boring, dont kill me

*kinda a spoiler*if i was given the assignment of the giver... i would do the exact same thing... run away and them deal with there own memories*/kinda a spoiler*

but yes in itself it was a good book just not my type of book...

19. Hissora ahurhurhur.

REALLY. GOOD. BOOK.

I don't know why, but a love a read about terrible society. It just grabs my attention for some strange reason. Maybe different? IDK. Even though, It really puts thoughts in your head like, "What if we were to live in a perfect utopia? " And "What would be the point?".

20. Misty gimme kiss

MAJOR bumpage, but I just realized how much this book reminds me of The Truman Show. That's one screwed up [but entertaining!] movie...