Site News The Future of KHV

Discussion in 'Community News & Projects' started by Aelin, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Aelin Best Waifu

As some of you may be aware, there have been some rumours since the unfortunate departure of some much beloved staff members, that KH-Vids might have to shut down. While it is true activity has been dwindling in the past years, I am pleased to announce that we’re staying open. KHV might not be as strong of a community as it once was, but with the upcoming release of Kingdom Hearts III we are not left without some hope.

With all that said, because of the dwindling activity on the site, some changes are being made in order keep the site manageable and affordable. Even with the help of our wonderful Contributors, we don’t have the money to continue with the host we are using. We’ve also taken a financial hit due to some technical issues with ads displaying on the site, which thus far has been out of our control but we are working towards a solution. In short, the yearly expense of the site is too high, and it would be unsustainable for staff to keep making up the difference by paying out of pocket. In order to combat this, come October we will be moving to a new hosting service that is a better fit for our revenue stream. What this means is you may notice the site running a bit slower.

While unfortunate, our discord server has been and will remain the fastest way to communicate with your friends on KHV, and for long-form writing, critiques, and less frenetic, more focused discussion, our forum is always there.

A special note to our Contributors: we want to thank you deeply for all you’ve helped us thus far. Without you, there’s a good chance we’d have already closed our doors. As we find our footing with this new host, we want to continue being transparent with you. We’ll be assessing our costs in the coming months, and if we find that we’re sustainable without the extra help, we want you all to be part of the conversation about what happens next. Whether we hypothetically decide to phase out the usergroup (of course with a thank-you gift), keep it in place with another goal, or somewhere in between, that will largely depend on your input. This is a conversation for another day, but remember you can always contact us directly or through the Contributors section if you have any concerns or ideas.

Lastly, we’ve reevaluated and decided to expand our Discord server so that anyone - not just members - can join. We will be advertising it mainly through our social media accounts, still reaching out to the same niche we always have, but in a new way now. Because of this we will require the discord to be more closely watched to make sure that it is a fun and safe place for everyone to hang out and enjoy. We can’t do this alone with the staff we have, and that is why we are opening another hiring season. A new role will be added to staff for Discord Moderators. Unlike our trial runs we had for Discord Moderator, this role will be treated as equal to any staff, and be given the same power as any other staff on discord, but will not have as much power of the forum. We are also looking to hire additional Reporters. Keep your eye out for a separate notice regarding our hiring season if you are interested.

Thank you for the understanding and patience through these changes for the site. We hope that it will be for the best and that we can see KHV thrive again. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact any of the staff members.

Thank you!
    ~KHV Staff Team

2. Shiki my waifu is better than yours, thanks

so the forum won't change from xenforo, it'll just change server hosts, right? because i really like xenforo's style...

3. Aelin Best Waifu

That is correct.

4. Day~Dream Kingdom Keeper

I almost fudged my pants when I read the title thinking the site was shutting down. I plan to be on this site even on my death bed. XD

5. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

where's the fun in running a website if you can't obfuscate and misdirect and induce cardiac arrest

6. Rinzler Destiny Islands Resident

Yeah, some people are joining daily, not a lot but at least some. I myself am new and is slightly scared of the news. So far I love this site and hope to continue being here in the long run.