The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Clawtooth, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

So, yeah. This just came out on the 10th, it's the fourth book by the author John Green, one of the Vlogbrothers, a pair of nerdy brothers who make youtube videos and stuff. He's a really good writer for young adults, and I just started reading this book. Not finished it yet, but here's my first impressions:

So, Hazel Grace Lancaster is a 16 (I think) year old girl who has terminal cancer, and stuff. She meets and becomes smitten with a boy named Augustus Waters, and goes to his house, and that's about ti so far LOL

I'm really enjoying the book so far, it feels liek they are really people my age who are talking which is very refreshing, also, the Snark-o-meter is at very high, which is great because I love sarcasm and irony. However, I'm owrried that the book is going to end tragically ;__;

I'll update this once I have finished reading it, but yeah, I other poeple are reading/have read this, and i look forward to talking about it with you ^^.

2. Sir Charles of Monocles The Fault in Our Stars

Just was able to read the book today. It was awesome!

Hazel Grace is 16 and 1/2 at the begging of the book. And OMG I nearly cried reading the last two sentences.

I got a green J Scribble!

3. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

I've not finished it yet, I'm about half-way. I got a red scribble :D.

EDIT: I finished it in 3 hours ... I was like a third through three hous ago ...

It's a masterpiece. It left me in tears multiple times. Hazel and Augustus are the perfect match for eachother, but fate is so cruel. I hate Peter van Houten, and i want him to die in a fire 5eva. Though I kinda symphathise with him at the end, it doesn't redeem him in my eyes. I lvoe the way that the book is written, it's like someone who is out age and understands. I feel like doing a Hazel and asking John Green all these questions about what happens after, but I think I can pretty much guess it:

Isaac lives sans cancer afterwards, and he's fine basically, though he'll probably be really upset when Hazel dies.
    Hazel will eventually die (probably soon after the end of the book), and she'll be missed sorely.
    Her parents will be distraught at losing her, but will live on in her memory.
    Peter van Houten will die in an alchohol explosion, or contract karma based liver cancer ... either is fine.

That's really all there is to me ...

Also, condommy problems is the most awkward and hilarious phrase I have ever heard.

4. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

My copy arrived, but it's at home and I'm at university. :/ The status of my J-Scribble is unknown.

5. SparksOfLogic Merlin's Housekeeper

I woke up at 8am the day it came out just to find a signed copy. Silver scribble. Good book. My favorite quote:
    I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I'm in love with you."

6. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

Update:

A red J-Scribble has been acquired.

I opened the book, read the dedication, and started crying.

Oh god, I'm going to need a towel to mop my tears while reading this, aren't I.