The Day of Silence

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sexy Sheva, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sexy Sheva Banned

http://www.dayofsilence.org/

The day of silence is held on the 25th of April....

I am for this day, I have friends who are gay, and bi's, and i'm gonna help them <3

Rainbow is the color that is worn on that day, so we're gonna get some tape, color is rainbow, and slap it on our mouths, so we can show that we won't talk for a whole day in the Day of Silence <3

2. EvilMan_89 Code Master

i never really understood this. i know about what it stands for but if they were trying to make a point it isn't working

3. Sexy Sheva Banned

theres this one page, where people are silent for a whole day because of bullying/harrasment/ (usually calling names requires talking)

4. Sanda Kingdom Keeper

Encourage raising awareness at your school; no one ever knows what it is!!

Last year, my assinine French teacher made me speak on that day. Completely ridiculous ._.

Anyway, most people are really understanding and cool about the whole thing. It is amazing to see how much support there is out there<3

5. ♥AL90♥ Hollow Bastion Committee

Why is it about where I live? Where do you live?
    you know I'm not for gay, bi, and lesbians, but calling them names isn't going to help anyone. It just hurts peoples feelings.

edit: okay if someone was killed this has gone way too far!

6. Sumi suicidé

I checked it out, sent the web page to all my friends, and I' gonna take part. It's obsurd that some one wud die. I have a lot of friends that are gay or lesbian, I WILL speak up for them!

7. Aura Goddess

I support this.Because I have a family member that is a lesbian.I couldn't believe it when I found out but that didn't change our relationship.No I not a lesbian just in case any of you are wondering or something.That poor child shot just because of his sexual orientation and gender expression.That's just sad.I probably will not stay quiet because I'm not a very quiet person when I'm with my friends lol.But yes I support this.

8. Heaven's Angel Kingdom Keeper

that's it... somebody was killed just for being gay...? that's ridiculous... I'm all for it! Imma stay silent the entire day! what's weird is that while I was walking home from school, there was a girl walking about a yard ahead of me and my friend who was walking beside me kept saying "She's lesbian..." and making fun of her... and I said "So what? What's wrong with being lesbian?" She didn't really respond to that one... guess there is no awnser...

there was also another time where me and my best friend were holding hands while we walked home... she walked me to my house and when my sis answered the door, she said "you better not be lesbian! god, eww..." and first of all, we were trying to appear like she was my big sister, anyways... second of all, I can see how badly lesbians are treated... and I'm really sick of it... so, I'm all for fighting for this!

9. Repliku Chaser

Hmm, I hate to be the black sheep of the group but I will not be supporting this day though I do support anyone of 'difference' from what people class as normal. The only way I could stay silent for a day is to not go to school or work and just sit at home and do nothing, which is awfully boring. Also, I disagree with the decision to make a day of silence about it because there will be now people who will wear rainbow colors and declare their sexuality or support of such but no one can say things, so expression is tolerated but words are not. I think to make the situation feasible is to actually discuss the case on either side of the fence or resolutions don't happen; not to silence people who are against or for the right to be with either gender etc. Peace never happens through not addressing the issue and coming to terms with it.

That's of course not to say that I agree with bullying etc and I personally have never done so and am more the person to tell people to open minds and learn tolerance because whether they hate it or not, gay behavior is seen in the animal kingdom as well as our own human kind and it's not going to go away. Instead it would be forced underground and 'in the closet' as it had been formerly. Silence just seems not the way to address it as one side was already silenced and now they expect the other side to be. It just doesn't seem that 'bullies' or those against gays are going to learn anything from this at all. Sorry if that offends anyone. I would always speak out against injustices but some things I just can't see as logical. That being said, I do of course not like that someone would die for a sexual behavior preference that I cannot find deviant from nature itself. I will on the day express things about the kid who was killed when I research it more and listen to those who say things for or against such a tragedy and gladly debate with someone who would insult it and say something to the effect of 'he deserved it'. I want to hear the voices and debate rather than everyone shut up and wear colors.

10. Incipiency Merlin's Housekeeper

I've got to agree with Repliku.

For those who are serious with this anti-gay/lesb/bi attitude, seeing the colors and demonstrations would probably make them want to go out with their picket signs and such in "gay communities" throughout America. One generation the major social conflict is race, the next, sexuality. I stress on the word major. I realize that there are still many conflicts and problems involving different races, and back then, a different sexuality was frowned on, to say the least. Us peoplez in "Today's Society" focus way too much on social structure, politics, and many other things that have almost no chance of an outcome other than conflict. I'm not saying we should abandon all of that, it'd be nice, but its not probable. People have been looked down on, harassed, abused, tormented, and killed for their different views and beliefs since who cares when.

Since I'm starting to sound like a heartless *******, I'll just say that a cousin of mine is bisexual, and my relationship with her is no different then if she were "normal" according to my family's dominant religion, Catholicism (the "original" Christianity, the one with the most bloody history, one of the main sects to burn common people at the stake for witchcraft, the one with the most priests who aren't so priestly...). A friend of mine's girlfriend is bi, and I hang out with her from time to time. She seems no different than the averge 17 year old girl. While I don't have any friends/family who are gay (that I know of), I have no problem with them. I don't have anything against them, nor do I talk badly about them. I just kind of let them be, despite the fact that I've been brought up to think that their sexual preference is wrong. I definitely won't be staying silent all day, its impossible with several of my classes, and I probably won't wear colors. But, I will continue to do what I have been, and judge people by personality and heart, not by sexuality, race, or looks. I think that is all that should be demanded of anyone.

11. Sumi suicidé

My teacher will be mad but...
    She'll understand that it's for a good cause!

12. Sexy Sheva Banned

lol

Our teachers are letting us hang up posters and everything <3

13. Heaven's Angel Kingdom Keeper

hmm... I'm thinking about actually talking to the principal at my school about it, considering that this is actually quite a big problem at our school. And Repliku, it will help show people that they should give gay, bi, and lesbian people a little more respect than they are... I'm not really positive if this will occur at others schools, but I can say that people at my school will actually learn something from this.

14. Xegreny Kingdom Keeper

We're actually having this at our school. I'd do it, but I need to talk 'n' stuff. I'm not very good at not talking. ._.

15. Sexy Sheva Banned

Do what we are doing at our school.

Take some paint or something and color a piece of tape rainbow and put it on your lips =P

16. Xegreny Kingdom Keeper

But 90% of my Spanish grade is dependent on me speaking Spanish.. ;_;

17. Heaven's Angel Kingdom Keeper

at my school, me and two other people are gonna tape our mouths shut with pieces of tape that say "Day of Silence" on them and then we're gonna wear a thing around our neck that explains the day... the string is rainbow colored and the thing around our neck's gonna have a pic of a rainbow on it ;P

18. Garxena Hollow Bastion Committee

I totally support this. I'm going to spread the word to all my friends. I'm bi and when I express it, I'm made fun of most of the time. If I'd known about this day in past years, I think I'd have been able to make a bit more of a difference. I'm going to help make one now, though. This day is a great idea. Awareness of this issue needs to be raised. I for one, am tired of being critizided just because I have feelings for males and females. My aunt and uncle hate me for it. They think there's something wrong in my brain or DNA. Knowing that there's a day to help people like me makes things a bit more bearable. Hopefully, this day will help.

19. Sexy Sheva Banned

<3

Thats why we need a day like this

I don't think of anyone any different, I've got about 10 friends who are like that and at our school, everyone is fair about everyone being the way they are

<3

@ destiny Star
    Thats a great idea, but I'm gonna do the same thing with the "Day of Silence" on the tape with rainbow colors, and have a sign that says
    "I'm for The Day of Silence
    The Best Way to be heard, is to
    Not Be heard at all <3"

20. Asterisk NO WONT LET YOU

Sorry for the bump,but I dont want to make another thread like this.

So today was the day..and It was..frankly it was bad and hilarious at the same time.

Despite the ''Silence" in the Day of Silence,people still talked,this one girl at my bus stop cracked after like 10 minutes xD ..And they wore shirts.

So how did it go at everyone elses school,cause my school didnt give a sh*t.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.