That glorious summer reading.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by What?, May 29, 2010.

1. What? 『 music is freedom 』

For an ambiguous most, summer is the month of hedonistic partying and burning your epidermis to a reddened crisp on a beach by an active volcano. For others, it is the time to despise the season. For a handful of us folk, however, it is the month set to read. I would certainly hope, at least.

I ask you, wonderful sirs and madams, what books you shall plan to read over the warm summer months?

My own self shall be working away upon Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut and a few Kafka novels I may quite hopefully come across.

2. Clear_so_you_can't_See Traverse Town Homebody

I plan to work on the classics starting with Wuthering Heights and then Pride and the Prejudice
    I also plan to finish the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and finally catch up with the Bleach manga.

3. (╯°□°)╯︵ ıɥsoɯ Hollow Bastion Committee

I'm going to try my best to read White Oleander for Fall semester. I'll be taking English 101 and I want to get through the book already. I'm still unable to read past chapter one but hopefully, since I won't have internet for 3 weeks, I'll read it.​

4. MandyXRiku4ever Twilight Town Denizen

Pride & predjuce is very good! tell me how it goes!
    i love that classic.
    this summer i plan on reading a couple of classics that my dad knows like one is about a nurse and solider who fall in love during the war lets see oh i plan on reading hamlet, finishing up death note & fruit baskets manga.

5. raceing227 Destiny Islands Resident

I'm probably going to read the whole Warriors seris again. And the Seekers seris.

6. ShibuyaGato Transformation

I'm going to finish the Cirque Du Freak series over the summer (hopefully) but I have to read War of the Worlds, A Walk To Remember, and A Tale of Two Cities for school. I have to read three since i'm in honors english courtesy of my mom. T_T

7. Misty gimme kiss

For school I have to read Huckleberry Finn and one choice non-fiction novel. I might also have something for APUSH but I'm not sure yet.

Other than that, I'd like to read some more Jane Austen, as a few people mentioned. Last year I read Sense & Sensibility and really loved it, plus my mom has a whole collection. xD

8. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I am going to try and read Ayn Rand novels this summer.

9. Loxare Hollow Bastion Committee

im going to see if i can find the rest of the Forgotten Realms by R.A. Salvatore. if not, i'll probably reread all of the books on my shelf......and my brother's. i'll also reread most of the manga series' ive been reading, including the stuff on the internet. maybe some of the fanfics on this site too. very busy reading schedule.

10. ShibuyaGato Transformation

I just decided to read Sherlock Holmes -yes for fun- along with the above mentioned books. I've read a bit of it and it's more like the movie than anything else.

11. Nova We left a scar size extra-large.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Since I've already read the first 3, the sheet I got said that I could read any of the sequels, but I'm probably going to stick to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, simply because I'm lazy, and I love that book anyway :]​

12. Noise For Love and Justice

in may (since May is the month when all the books i love come out)

i read...

Lies by Micheal Grant (from the Gone series. greattt books)

and then i read

The Necromancer: the secret of the immortal nickolas flamel (i finished this book in 3 days...an amazing read)

haha and currently in the middle of..

Son of a witch
    Catching Fire
    Dead Untill Dark (the 1st in the trueblood novels...fyi hardcore sex)
    and The looking glass wars (which is really good)
    Cursed (3rd thoses house of night novels)

and as i look around my book coverd room...i think thats all the books i am reading...

oh! and im gonna borrow that new twilight novela my sister got..just for a light read.

so i highly recommend all of these books!

13. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I have read The Remnant by Tim LaHaye/Jerry B. Jenkins, which was really good. I've also finished The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer, which I can say is not good at all. It's just another useless love story that could've been good but it wasn't. My manga collection has grown quite well too. :D

Currently, I want to re-read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows by J.K. Rowling. It is a very interesting series and I just love how it all ends. I'm currently reading Frakenstin by Marry Shelly, possibly one of my top ten books of all time. The flow is good and the melancholic energy is great. I can't wait to finish it.

Finally, I am awaiting on one more book. In just a few more days, I can read The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya by Nagaru Tanigawa, the third novel (translated into English) in the series. I just can't wait for my Nagato cover.

14. Tahno The official Charlie Sheen of Republic City.

I plan to purchase a reasonable amount of manga ... mostly Phoenix Wright, Death Note, Black Cat and maybe Bleach.
    I also plan to read more mystery novels, and I hope to find books on Eastern Philosophy.
    Also, if Shane Peacock makes a 5th The Boy Sherlock Holmes book, that would be a summer of EPICNESS.

15. SoraUchiha Traverse Town Homebody

I decided to start the Patricia Cornwell series but if finding rather boring so I kinda stoppped...I wanna read Body Languge:For Dummies but I cant find it anywhere!!! Grrr...my phsycology needs will go unfulfilled!! XP

Oh and Handling With The Undead by that Swedish dude that wrote Let The Right One In. ^^

16. Shiki my waifu is better than yours, thanks

I don't read in the summer since....I don't have any books here that interest me.

But I do hope to get more The Last Apprentice books.

17. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

It's that time of year again folks! Has everyone got their summer reading lists, or even just fun books on the side? My english teacher gave me one as long as my arm XD. I'll post it here later, but i need to find it.

[Space for my list, imagine a lot of books]

So, my fellow lit-fiends, are you looking forward to summer reading? I know I am ^^.

18. Plums Wakanda Forever

My list thus far:

A Clockwork Orange
    Great Expectations
    King of Solomon
    The Good Thief
    Kindred

and I was also thinking of finishing Pride & Prejudice, as well start reading some of the other books that have been sitting on my bookshelf collecting dust.

19. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I haven't really been able to do a lot of reading this year. So far, I've read through Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows and The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. I'm going to read through the Harry Potter series again, just because I'm excited for the movie. I'm also going to try to read through Frankenstein, Withering Heights, and Les Miserables. These are all books I've had for a while but never have really felt like finishing.

20. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

Lol, yeah I tend to read more over summer xD

My list currently contains:

Michael McIntyre's autobiography: Life & laughing (for the second time, I'm currently reading it)
    The Hunger games Trilogy
    Bleach Manga (I'm slowly wading my way through all of these)

I do also want to read The girl with the dragon tattoo, but I don't know if I will yet. There are loads of books I want to read but I don't know how much reading I'll get done this summer.