So Why Does Roxas THINK He Left the Organization?

Discussion in 'General & Upcoming Kingdom Hearts' started by A Zebra, May 4, 2014.

1. A Zebra Chaser

Something occurred to me while reading that topic over in the Days section.
    Days makes it so that everything Roxas ultimately does is tied to her, but at the end of the game Roxas loses his memories of her. This means that Roxas (AND everyone else in the Organization) would have HUGE portions of their memories COMPLETELY rewritten. That one time they had a meeting SPECIFICALLY to discuss Xion? What happened on that day now?
    But yeah, ultimately a lot of Roxas' negative feelings towards the Organization, and questioning his own existence and his having the keyblade all stem from Xion... so what's his reasoning now, without his memories? Why did he clash with Saix all the time? Why is he wondering about the keyblade? Why did he fight Axel? Why didn't he trust Axel? So many things are intricately tied to memories of Xion, so much so that a COMPLETELY new memory would probably be needed...
    So what were those memories? Where did all those many days, months even, that these people dedicated to Xion go?
    For that matter, if Xemnas lost his memories of Xion, he wouldn't know the project was a failure, wouldn't he try doing it again?

2. Explode Who?!

I can't explain every single instance, as it would get extremely speculative, but Roxas throughout the game was having memories from Sora, and he didn't know why. Xion or not, no one told him about Sora because it could potentially ruin everything if Roxas felt more allegiance to Sora than to them. People were hiding information from him, and he felt betrayed. That didn't change.

As for Xemnas, even if the Replica Program wasn't known as a direct failure, there weren't any reported successes. Everyone was wiped out, and Axel never told them about the Riku Replica. Even if they did think it showed promise, they couldn't pursue it any further with Vexen dead.

The simple answer is that they probably didn't think back on anything. It all made sense as it was happening, because Xion existed when everything happened. They didn't question their memories because they didn't remember having any doubts about them. The feelings they had in their memories is what stuck with them: the details weren't necessarily important. That, and there isn't much time between events, so there's little time for self-reflection (in Roxas' case, his memory is wiped completely). We know that Xion isn't gone completely, and that some memory still exists, though on a more subconscious level (Sora shedding a tear when he meets her). It's possible that they have the potential to remember her, or at least realize that there are huge holes in their memories (though forgetting things is natural, so they wouldn't necessarily think it's odd). It just hasn't come up in any substantial way.

3. Twero Traverse Town Homebody

Pretty much this.

He left the Organization for feeling betrayed, also he still got a few fragments of memories of Xion (just remember he discussion with Riku, struggling to not forgetting her so soon), before been defeated by Riku and the memories goes for good.

Still, small pieces still there, and Xion exist there somehow.

4. Cloud4012 Gummi Ship Junkie

Roxas believes he left the organization because he wanted to find out who he was and because of Xion

5. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

I don't believe the memories were simply replaced, the way they were for Sora in Castle Oblivion. The closing scene of the game implies that she was forcibly ripped from their memory, leaving gaping holes in the events of their past. It's likely that Roxas has preserved the anger and sorrow those events brought, even if he doesn't quite understand why anymore; and he can't unlearn the feelings he has towards Xemnas or the Organization. Besides, he left them before his memories had totally faded, and then he proceeded to lose even more of his memories, so he hasn't really had time to question it since then.

6. A Zebra Chaser

That's the thing, the ending implies that she was just erased, but she's the focal point of so many scenes that it becomes weird. Like the scene with Xigbar, Xion and Axel, what happens there now? Does Xigbar not remember seeing Ven now? Does he just have this ambiguous memory when he got beaten up by nothing and felt angry at seeing Ven for no reason, and then started to distrust Axel for doing nothing?
    By the end of his segment in KH2, Roxas has regained all his memories... but what memories are tehre to regain? If Xion has been forcibly removed, pretty much all of his memories are nonfunctional now. He spends almsdot all of his time hanging out with Xion, worrying about Xion, talking about Xion... it's not liek she was some minor thing that lifts right out, how would Roxas rationalize ANY of his actions at that point?

7. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Do you ever intend to get something from several rooms away, enter the room, then forget what you came there for? You don't just walk out, do you? I dunno about you but I search around the room to see if I can jog my memory. Not to mention, there are facets of my personality that are informed by events I can barely remember, things that happened when I was very little. I have a foggy sense of what happened then, but not enough to call it coherent—yet it still affects me deeply. Fragmented memories inform people's actions and emotions on a daily basis; it's really not that hard to imagine.

You don't just make things up to replace lost memories, you push forward in the hopes they'll return to you or you do without them. Yes, Xion was a big part of Roxas's time with the Organization, but the things she imprinted onto him don't just vanish with her memory. In fact, the vagaries of his past probably fueled his desire to distance himself from the Organization and take on Xemnas, since he maintains his spite towards them for what they did but can't remember why, which would likely drive him to seek answers from them.

8. A Zebra Chaser

Forgetting something day to day isn't the same as forgetting huge chunks of a full year of your existence. We're not talking about forgetting about something minor, we're talking missing details from major events
    Now that said, we don't really know how memory loss works in KH. In real life, a lot of things can happen. A person could retain the feeling and continue to act on it, or it could end up changing who they are on a fundamental level.
    I mean, really, Roxas didn't have enough time to actually stop and think about why he was doing what he was, he got his memories back for a fw minutes at best, but if he had stopped to tihnk about it, what would he have felt? Would he notice all the holes? Or does the memory magic reshape the memories as needed? OR did he create new memories to rationalize the missing stuff?

9. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

That would be why I mentioned major events in my own life, and chunks of years missing from memory.
    True, but imo the simplest way to tackle it is to supplement the information KH gives us about its world with things we suppose to be true of ours. If people have the potential to act on lost memories here, I doubt the people of KH are so different that they can't do the same, even under extraordinary circumstances.
    I suppose there's no telling. But it hardly matters now, since he's entrusted his livelihood and his burden to Sora. What Sora chooses to do with that is another matter for another thread.

10. Glen Returned from the dead

If he truly did lose all his memories about Xion, then I would assume it's to find out more about who he is and his relation to Sora, and because (without Xion) things changed between him and Axel because of what the Organization did. If he looked back on it, I imagine he would feel the sorrow of losing Xion but be unable to remember exactly what caused that sorrow, so he'd probably be very confused, but yeah. Axel. Evil Organization. You get the picture.

11. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Watch here. After her death, Riku and Roxas can still remember Xion, even if faintly, needing to struggle to even remember her name. Roxas remembers clearly enough why he left the Organization.

12. A Zebra Chaser

Only by holding her keyblade. She completely fades after Riku takes it, and she still fades as they hold it, by the end of Days she's gone

13. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

If he could remember feeling such sorrow as well as feeling betrayed by the organisation but couldn't really remember why then surely the logical thing to do would be to connect the two and perhaps blame the organisation for the pain he was caused (because it's technically true even if it's all through Xion). Perhaps he realises him memory is a bit of a mess and blames the organisation for it as well (in a sort of Wolverine-esque story).

I don't think he would remember exactly what happened but the feelings are all still there and they aren't going anywhere.

14. Patman Bof

I agree with Nova. I doubt his memories got replaced by anything, he just forgot. Faster than one normally would, but exactly the same way. I don' t remember learning how to walk or speak, but I still do. Our brains are super lousy when it comes to recollecting events. Hell, they suck at writing them accurately to begin with, which is why investigators cross-reference testimonies to separate the truth from the fantasies.

And I don' t even think his memory disappeared per se, rather the "chains" leading to it did, one after the other, making it rarer and rarer for one memory to bring up Xion to mind. If memory serves ReCoded implied so.

15. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Your question was why Roxas thought he left the Organization. The answer is to avenge Xion, because he still remembered her when he left the Organization.

16. A Zebra Chaser

But why did he think he left when he LOST those memories?

17. Patman Bof

Because they were dicks taking his unquestioning submission for granted ? No need to remember what the last drop was about to remember that the camel back' s broken. I can think of a few bullies from my childhood. Can' t remember their name, their face is a big blur, can' t even tell why they were bullies. But they were bullies.

Besides :
    "Come on Sora, I thought you were better than that !"
    "Get real ! Look which one of us is winning ! Huh ?"

Looks like Roxas could remember and not remember Riku at the same time. His memories were a mess to begin with. The more time passed the more he grew/regained his personnality, sense of self-agency and, more importantly, his instincts. He might have given it more self-introspection had he noticed something was off, but I doubt he did. He' s not exactly the brightest bulb in the box anyway.

18. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I'll rewatch some footage later to clarify but I figure he thinks he left for the same reason I thought he left prior to Days: he was confused as to why he could wield the Keyblade, he felt used by the Organization, and he was remembering Sora. All in all, he wanted to find out who he really was.

19. Jin うごかないで

I think he doesn't know what drove him to the point of no return on abandoning them but they could in a way I guess feel their memories. I mean look at Sora, he doesn't remember ANYTHING about Twilight town yet why did he still feel that twilight town felt so familiar? I guess you could say that he could have gained a portion of memory from roxas because he shed a tear when it was time to depart from hayner and the gang. All in all my theory is that he does forget about his memories with Xion but the feeling of hate and knowledge of atleast reasoning given to him towards the organisation while xion was still around still resides with roxas.

20. A Zebra Chaser

To everyone saying he just 'felt' why he should leave, but didn't know why
    So he doesn't find it weird that nearly all of his memories of his entire life are gone? This isn't like forgetting something ten years later, he literally has to have nearly every memory he ever had axed
    Either that, or rewritten