So here's a question about stone skipping

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by jackdaniel0, Feb 18, 2017.

1. jackdaniel0 Twilight Town Denizen

Anyone have any idea about how many skips on average a hella pro skipper might get? I can't find a good answer, only that the record of stone skips is 65

2. cstar stay away from my waifu

[deep breath in to process the fact I'm about to throw some knowledge I didn't think I would ever use on this site]

Stone Skipping is entirely based on the conditions of the weather and the water, where the wind direction is, whether it's raining. Whether or not a storm is out at sea and affecting the water.

Professional contests held in Mackinac Island, MI, which has smoother waters than the ocean and the wind was relatively decent last year, had professionals average an amount of like, 20-21 skips in their best throws.

Now, there aren't a lot of contests and professional stone skippers are usually doing it more as a hobby than as a profession since there's no demand. Also, smoother waters generally gets greater results so people don't usually contest on the ocean for a fairer field of judging.

My personal average as a stone skipper myself is around 8-9. My personal best is 19 and I haven't had one close to that since, it was just a perfect throw with certain conditions matching perfectly.

The average could be much higher or much lower depending on whether or not people record it, but I'd say on the ocean the average is probably 18-20, while on lakes and ponds it's 23-25 for professionals.

3. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

I love this site. I love that you can ask a question about almost anything and someone knows the answer.

Cstar, you're awesome. Just saying. XD

4. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I once hit 924 skips

5. 61 No. B

bullshit

6. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Skipping rope maybe