Resident Evil 7

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by libregkd, Jun 14, 2016.

1. libregkd -

2. Hayabusa Venomous

Still waiting on the demo in the U.S.

Anyway, I'm very hopeful for this. Of course some fans are upset that the game looks like this, but I personally am very happy to see Capcom actually treating the series like an actually scary horror game again (as far as it looks, obviously)

3. Iskandar King of Conquerors

This doesn't seem to interest me as much as the last one did. Maybe because it's how they're went back to the first few games as a simple horror story, and I liked it better when things got bigger in scale and more exciting, but maybe the story will be interesting at least. I just know I won't be watching this trailer as much as I did for RE6

Edit: SO after watching the demo on youtube, I'm not impressed, at all. There's really nothing about this that says Resident Evil, besides a single photo with a helicopter that has the Umbrella logo on it. Honestly, I'm disappointed in this. I'd rather they stuck with the action they were doing before, at least that still felt like Resident Evil

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  4. Hayabusa Venomous

Holy shit this game got no play over here.

Anyway...this is easily one of my favorite horror games ever now.

If anyone cares to read my review, click the spoilers. I don't actually spoil anything in the story though, so no worries.

Against cynical perspectives and traditionalist die-hards, "Resident Evil 7: Biohazard" manages to expertly combine the intense first-person combat of "Condemned: Criminal Origins" with the resource management, intriguing puzzle design and crazy horror + science fiction themes of traditional "Resident Evil" all with a setting new to the RE series: the Bakers' plantation, set in a fictional city of the southern Louisiana, complete with swamps and barns.

Gone are the forced co-operative trends of the latest RE games such as 5, 6, Revelations and Revelations 2. Gameplay is a mixture of isolated exploration, crafting ammunition or useful drugs like medication or psychostimulants to highlight items, figuring out puzzles such as rotating objects to cast a specific shape of shadow, and of course fighting back against hideous creatures with your various weapons, generally with less ammunition than you'd feel comfortable with in those situations. Yet the game (at least on Normal difficulty) still feels fair, as you have a very effective block that absorbs most enemy damage, as well as a quick crouch for attacks that are aimed at your upper torso. There were still a few times where I wasn't sure how to avoid damage, but not nearly enough to create frustration.

This game knows how to keep surprising you throughout its generally 7-10 hour campaign (unless you speedrun.) The story is well fleshed out with memorable characters and moments that will stick with you long after the credits roll, and the Bakers' estate feels like a tribute to the original Resident Evil game's Spencer Mansion: an area you'll be exploring for the majority of the game, with various parts locked until you find the right items to gain access. There's even a recreation of the shotgun puzzle from the first game.

The few criticisms I have of the game spur from the sort of rushed sensation the game goes through toward the end, with an unclear point of no return, as well as an ending that feels a bit incomplete. Still, this is a journey worth experiencing, and the cast definitely earn their place among such series mainstays as Jill Valentine and Albert Wesker. Of the "Resident Evil" games I've so far completed, which includes REmake, 4, 5, 6, Revelations, and now this title, Resident Evil 7 stands as my second favorite...just because "Resident Evil 4" is literally perfect.