No Thanks Require proper grammar/spelling in the RP Arenas...

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by Jade Rhade, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade Rhade King's Apprentice

I haven't RP'd for a few months, but I have to say that it's rather pathetic to see the terrible spelling and grammar present in many of the opening titles and background stories of the role-playing threads. I'm not singling anyone out; I used to RP myself on this site; but seriously, how hard can it be to run at least the opening post of your thread/ thread title though Microsoft Word? Or maybe even an old-fashioned thing called a dictionary?

If I'm overstepping my bounds, I apologize. Just thought someone should point this out.

2. Laurence_Fox Chaser

Thank you for agreeing with me that the role play areas need improvement. While I would like each post to be run through spellcheck and Firefox comes with one included. >>;

But I think the opening post/title should at the very least be spelt correctly.

*Goes to nudge CtR here*

3. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

This has already been pointed out and work is already being done to try and combat it. However I do think that if you force those rules onto RPers then it takes away the fun of that section. If they cannot post with freedom then you will find a hell of a lot of members wouldn't be able to post in that section anymore. I personally prefer quality over quantity, but you cannot restrict that many people from RPing.

I would also like to add, as I have said so often in the past few days, not all of the RPers are like thast. Yes there are some issues, but there are also some damn good RPers.

I keep hearing a lot of people say "I used to RP here but then it got rubbish" well maybe if those who feel the RP section is failing these days went back in there as examples to those who currently RP to these low standards they keep being accused of (unfairly in some cases IMO) then maybe the quality could be lifted.

Encouraging good grammar and spelling by all means I agree to, but as I have just said to someone else who suggested "tests" before RPers can post, you can't impose those kind of rules and restrictions on them, for one thing it doesn't give a very good image of the site (totalitarian authoritarian) and for another, the same thing would have to be done in all areas of the site. Trust me Intelligent Discussion can sometimes be just as bad and the posts count in there.

4. Spike H E R O

Well, good grammar in that section would be a plus, but I don't think you can really force them to start spelling right. After all, some kids don't know the language that well, so you can't really blame them for typing a few things out wrong.

5. Soushirei 運命の欠片

LOL JADE I'M RIGHT THERE WITH YOU.

Haha, but in seriousness, the forum demographic will make this difficult to really get a large community of RPers that I feel you want to have, but I do agree that spelling words correctly (some grammar errors I think can be overlooked) is a good first step.

6. Sabby Sleepy Panda Assassin

I have to agree to me it's really bother some to try to read what the person is writting.

7. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

Which raises another point; not all those who RP have English as their first language. Now I am not using that as an excuse, but it is impossible to expect all the RPers to have a perfect grasp of spelling and grammar.

8. Jade Rhade King's Apprentice

No, the RP'ing was still good when I stopped. I just didn't have time for it anymore. I just think if one has the time to come up with a plot and story, he or she should just take the time to make sure it's at the very least understandable. Grammar I'll usually let slide because the English language is difficult in that aspect, but spelling when it's absurdly easy to check it? Perhaps over break I'll try to get back into RP'ing as you suggest, but lately I simply do not have the time for it. Sorry. D=

9. La Sofa ('_')-l3 No worries

CtR and Spike are right. It would be great, but not might be first language and should force.

10. Soushirei 運命の欠片

I'm sure there's *some* lee-way for spelling and grammar errors, but you can't forgive the txt-talk, or other forms of writing that is an purposeful deviation away from spelling.

And I also understand that those who don't have English as a first language can find it difficult to RP, but it's also important to understand that if they want to do an RP in English, there is some expectation that they know how to write English decently enough to have a functional RP.

11. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

I fully agree with you, though IMO txt talk is something different to spelling and grammar as it has it's own category. Discouraging abbreviations and other forms of shorthand where it is a deliberate mis-use of the langauge is something I want to work on.

I also agree that if they want to RP in English they should have some basic grasp of the language to be able to post decently, however, you can't expect miracles you know =/ Not everyone is going to have that standard.

12. #1 DinestyX Gummi Ship Junkie

I just wanna know...why can't you all just leave us Rpers alone? If you don't like it than why do you keep coming to the Rp area?

13. Soushirei 運命の欠片

The truth there is that if they want to have an RP that will 100% cater to their English level, they have to create one themselves. Like I said in another post, people have different requirements and expectations for their RPs, and if there is someone who doesn't meet that requirement (not just their level of English, but other things as well), they have every right to tell that person they can't join.

The same thing can happen here. If someone doesn't have the English level (or even RP capability) requirement that someone wants, that person has the right to say no.

Because in the end, you can set RP-wide standards for the RP forum (like one paragraph minimum per post), but everyone's going to have their own personal standards for their RP (no txt-talk), and no one can force them to change it--because *then* there's going to be problems. I'm sure no one will like it if their RP is suddenly out of their control and they can't decide for themselves what goes in it.

14. Laurence_Fox Chaser

Why do you come to the Spam Zone? It's another part of the site and to be honest I would like to be involved if the role-play sections weren't so...bad.

I could also see myself starting up a role-play in the arena but having it be beyond the level of understanding of the members in there. Not to sound negative or anything or full of myself, but I have a good deal of experience in it and most of the rp ideas here seem kinda childish for me.

If that makes sense. <_> I'm not putting anyone down with this post I'm just saying what I think.

15. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

XD Thank you.

You see, if you inflict rules and regulations to the extent of forcing grammar and spelling, then some members are going to be in the situation where they wont enjoy RPing anymore and will find themselves too restricted.

Today I made one new rule stating tht posts are at least a paragraph long. Would you believe I have already had complaints? Surprisingly though the complaints I have had, have ben from those RPers that I would put into the group of those good with grammar and english skills. So even when something is done to start trying to improve the section, there are still people unhappy and complaining, so this can't just be done in a heartbeat. It is a process that will take time. People just need to be patient.

16. #1 DinestyX Gummi Ship Junkie

I'm just saying that this kinde of stuff realy upsets alot of us and when we try to stand up for ourselves we get dereped like crazy! I also think that even if an Rp idea sounds 'childish' to you it may seem great to others

17. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I'm not being condescending or anything but at the end of the day a good deal of rpers on khv are children. I am 21 years of age and don't really wish to engage in some of the ideas I've read. I'd create one of my own but I would have to keep the fact of the young'ns reading it in mind. You can obviously see why I've not posted there with this reasoning yes?

When I bring the spelling/grammar it's not that I'm trying to be mean. It's sort of like when a teacher grades papers/assignments. Your teacher isn't being mean to you but is giving you advice to the future. Which is what I'm doing: Pointing out your flaws so you can improve and overall enjoy rping more.

18. #1 DinestyX Gummi Ship Junkie

well with you all teaming up on us you are ruining the fun of Rping! You make us all feal stupid and angrey. We like Rping the way it is. We can read eachothers postes and that's all that realy matters. I wish you would all leave us alone!

19. Sanya Orussia’s 586th Fighter Regiment

Calm down... we're not here to flame people who support a suggestion.

As for the suggestion itself... I highly agree it would make the RPG arena a lot better. I was even showing my friend (Shikamaru) the RPG forum today and he just laughed at how lame it is. And believe me, he loves to RP.

However... as previously mentioned, it would be difficult to control those who don't use proper grammar/spelling... thus making it nearly impossible to make a compromise. =/

20. Pirateguywithapplepie Twilight Town Denizen

Look, I rp too. And let me tell you that there is no point in yelling at people in this thread. We're trying to help the rp section in this paticular discussion, not ruin the fun for all of the rpers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.