Police Charge 90-Year-Old Man and Two Pastors for Feeding the Homeless

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Amaury, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

I actually feel sorry for the police who have to carry these things out, as they're just doing what their superiors tell them to do, no matter how stupid the laws are. The charges come in accordance with a recent law that went into effect that makes it illegal to feed the homeless.

The old man is suing the city once again, and I hope he wins!

• Source: Local 10
    • Published: November 3, 2014

See the video in the source above.

2. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Vagrancy laws have been in place since Lincoln's time that made it illegal to be without home or employment. Those who approached a town without either had to either leave or go to jail. This had a huge impact on slaves who were newly freed, but not employed or owners of land. These laws forced many former slaves back to their masters just to avoid being arrested. They helped create a culture that was very hostile to vagrants, especially from the police. These laws were not challenged until the 1960s. They were finally dispelled completely in 1972 when in Papachristou v. Jacksonville, 405 U.S. 156, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that a Florida vagrancy law was unconstitutional because it was too vague to be understood. Unfortunately, laws like those against feeding the homeless and that the homeless cannot sleep in parks have replaced these vague vagrancy laws, and little has changed.

This has been a part of the police force's job since the police were created. Take no pity; they do not mind.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  3. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Did a homeless person break in to that mayor's house at one point and murder his family or something? Because that's the only thing I can think of that'd have enough impact to create such a stupid law. Good God, it's not like homeless people are stray animals. Are they going to start putting up signs that say "DON'T FEED THE HOMELESS" now too? Puh-leeze, this is the dumbest case I've heard about. Remind me to go to Fort Lauderdale for vacation some time, pack a few pounds of extra food I don't need, and "accidentally" leave it in front of homeless people and say they're find to eat it.

4. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Those signs already exist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]