Question Photoshop/Illustrator

Discussion in 'Help' started by Clawtooth, May 12, 2009.

1. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

Can anyone please tell me what the difference is between Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator?

I'm asking because I am thinking about getting Illustrator but I won't bother if it's the same as Photoshop.

2. .Kairi. Kingdom Keeper

Illustrator is not photo editing/painting. It's more of using shapes and drawing lines with a pen tool, to create more of a 2d or flat image. It doesnt have a blur tool, paintbrush, burn/dodge, etc. It's almost like Paint, with a few more tools.

3. Reisen Twilight Town Denizen

Adobe PHOTOSHOP

PS is a "bitmap" image processing and manipulation program. It's ideally suited for creating, modifying and outputting digital images of a photographic nature, which share a common fundamental structure: pixels in a bitmap. Simplified, but primary operations would be:

* Access / acquisition of digital graphics photographic in nature
    * Add, subtract, modify, colorize, pixels in the images
    * Produce digital files where the whole image is part of a "fixed" pixel structure (the "bitmap")
    * Prepare complicated color/BW images for further processing in page layout programs for high resolution printing

Fundamental difference: Photoshop manipulates individual color pixels within a fixed bitmap

Adobe ILLUSTRATOR

Illustrator is a vector-based postscript drawing program. It functions by generating curved paths (Bezier curves) connected by modifiable anchor points. These anchors, with their handles are ultimately editable, and never "leave" the structure of the file.
    A vector based drawing program creates the various elements of the image as individual vector objects which retain their characteristics and do not become part of a "bitmap".
    Fundamental difference: Illustrator generates "vector objects" which are not part of a "bitmap".