Chain of Memories One of the More Overlooked Elements of CoM

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 ReMIX' started by A Zebra, Feb 4, 2013.

1. A Zebra Chaser

I feel like people focus too much on whether they like the card system or not.
    Something I personally find is that CoM has some of the best writing in the series, perhaps only passed by Re:Coded.
    Honestly, I kind of feel they butchered the script when they made Re:CoM... oversimplified it.
    Now that I think about it, CoM is kind of the last bastion for the original Kingdom Hearts style, before Nomura went insane :P

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

Could you elaborate on what you mean? How was the writing some of the best?

In regards to Re:COM, it's exactly the same as COM. The only difference is that it's for PS2 and has more combo attacks.

3. strfruit Gummi Ship Junkie

I can't deny that I dislike the card system, but I do agree that the story was wonderful which makes me willing to want to replay it. ^-^

4. libregkd -

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

6. libregkd -

7. Hiro ✩ Guardian

8. 61 No. B

Really glad to see some CoM love.

I will go ahead second what everyone has said about CoM having the best writing. IMO it's only downfall is that everything that happens between floors is so good, that what happens on the floors just seems tedious. In other words, it's too good for it's own good.

I really have few gripes with the card system, I only wish they hadn't tried to tie it into the plot, and would have just let it be the battle system alone.

I disagree with saying re:coded has better writing. I really wanted to play that game and then end with the opinion that was the underrated hidden gem of KH, but it's really not. That said I still think it's better than some people give it credit for.

I also disagree with the insinuation that games post-CoM all have bad writing, or that CoM is the last good game. KH2 didn't have the best writing, but in my opinion it's still best in series.

I like CoM and Re:CoM equally.

9. A Zebra Chaser

Let me make something clear: I love ALL Kingdom Hearts (even Days :/)
    KH2 is my favourite game in the series.
    But teh writing took a hit with each subsequent game. Peaking at BBS, in my opinion.

There were significant changes made with Re:CoM. I find Re:CoM's translation far more obtuse than the original, and they softened Axel's character drastically, which made him less interesting to me.
    Besides that, the gameplay is DRASTICALLY different.

10. 61 No. B

I completely agree with the top statement.

I know they are extremely different, and I still love them equally. I don't really care too much about the changes, it doesn't invalidate CoM, considering the events in CoM are still technically what would come after KH, not Re:CoM.

11. Light-Rune Maven Seer

i know people don't like the card system, but i thought it was rather unique especially in the sense that it added strategy and challenge to even some of the easier battles.

12. Railos Hollow Bastion Committee

In my opinion, Re:CoM was really good. The story was amazing, and the card system was interesting, and at the same time kinda fun. I haven't played CoM, but in my opinion, and from what I have seen in some sites, Re:CoM is better. You get to fight against Zexion, and in my opinion, "Got it memorized" sounds better than "Commit it to memory". An uptight Axel is not very cool. Another thing, CoM is not the last bastion for KH. I love every KH game. KH II was really good, and so was BBS.

13. Light-Rune Maven Seer

all KH games are AWESOME! Right?:)

14. Labrys King's Apprentice

Am I the only one here that LOVED the card fighting system? I mean who wouldn't enjoy cancelling boss combos and Sleights? The best part about the fighting system was that it supplied you with endless amounts of overpowerful Sleights like Fireagaburst, to Lethal flame, Fire raid, ice raid, to even warping your enemies to another Goddamn dimension-now that's badass! Who wouldn't want to warp your enemies into another dimension? You can only do these amazing attacks on RECOM, not even BBS have some of these stuff.
    I don't get why people say this game doesn't matter and that it's a filler. This game actually released after kh1 in Japan and for here for the gameboy as well as the manga.
    Basically the first three kh games released in their chronological order.

15. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

I love everything about RE:Com I never felt as powerfull as in COM, all that power, all that strategy, all the changing freedom that we can't get in the other games.. the story is cool also, I feel like is a improved KH 1, the ONLY thingh I don't like about it, is that this game openend the door to all the 9999999 games that are made to remake the events of KH1...

16. Labrys King's Apprentice

I'm sorry but I don't understand this last statement. Can you elaborate?

17. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

KH I, Final mix,CoM, Re:CoM, Codded, Re:Coded ... all these games use the basic plot of KH I, the worlds are also the same.. even if some of them are told better or worse, even when there are new things unfold there is still the feeling that "Square didn't need to repeat the KH I formula to tell them" they could have made games entirely new, but have chosen to remake the "same game".

In KH 3D there is even a part where young Xehanort trolls sora and says "How many times you came back here (tranverse town) and did the same things again and again?"
    I think most people that let go of kingdom hearts was bother by this.

18. A Zebra Chaser

But... you named six games, sure, but three of them are remakes of the others, so that kind of seems silly to include them.
    Also, you should throw Days on the list; there isn't a single new world in that game.

19. Light-Rune Maven Seer

Com and Re:Com have always been some of my favorites in the series. Although honestly i count them as the same game.

20. Airi Ban King's Apprentice

I quite liked com overall. The story was really great imo. Pretty good on emotions and I think it's ending was also pretty great.
    You aren't the only one. The battle system is one of the reasons I luv com.
    I think some people only count number titles. Kinda like the "Where's kh3?" people.
    But yeah, com was very important to the story and not filler.