Need a little help here.

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by Laurence_Fox, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I know I avoid this section of the forum like a leper colony...but I need some cheering up or advice or something. Maybe I just need to get this out to people.

A few week's back I was sitting out in the living room with my lappy and I had my earbuds on since I was listening to music. Mom was talking on the phone with my sister, and I assume they were talking about baby stuff. Since my sister is pregnant and due sometime around March 21st.

Anyway...I'm not paying attention since it's hard for me to focus on multiple conversations. But what I did hear kind of hit me hard. 'We didn't have anymore kids after Jennifer because we didn't want to go through all that medication again.'

I had a mild form of epilepsy as a kid. Had at least two grand mal seizures that required hospitalization and had petit mal seizures up until about the 5th grade. Which are just kind of zoning out but you can't remember what happened during this zoning out. I also had to take depakote to help with these seizures. (Depakote is kind of a neural stabilizer. I think it does something with the transmitters in the brain. It's also given to people with Bi-Polar disorder and Depression.)

I can understand the reasoning behind it...but it just kind of hurt to hear it. I don't think Mom knew I heard her say it but it's been kind of...at the back of my mind lately.

2. Misty gimme kiss

She was probably saying that in a kind of way that said in her mind "it was hard for her and us to go through that, and we didn't want to risk it with another child." Epilepsy can be passed through the family and she might somehow think that another child might get it.

See, she might have meant what you heard in a different way, just worded it badly.

Otherwise she's way out of line, but I don't know anything about your mom (lol), so I'm not sure.

3. Elemental Queen Destiny Islands Resident

:glomp:.....oh, everything will be just fine. I don't know your family but I'm sure she didn't mean anything bad at all. She loves you! Try talking to your mom.

4. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

You're mother definitely did not mean it in any hurtful way, and as you have said yourself she probably thought you weren't listening.

As for what she said, it is true that having a child with a medical condition (any condition for that matter) is more draining than a child with none. My brother for example has dyspraxia and my parents had to fight tooth and nail to get him a place in the special school that he needed.

I myself suffered a seizure when I was about 2 and had to be rushed to hospital. I nearly died apparently =/ Having that happening to your child would be pretty rough for a parent and certainly not something they would want to risk repeating.

However, you should not take it as any reflection on yourself. She still loves you, the condition didn't make her love you any less. Heck, it might even have made her love you more. All that what she said means is that she didn't want to risk having to go through the whole thing again, possibly because she didn't think she was strong enough or something =/

Ughh, I suck at this X_X