MX = Villain Sue?

Discussion in 'General & Upcoming Kingdom Hearts' started by Alan Smithee, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Alan Smithee Destiny Islands Resident

"Villain Sue" meaning: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VillainSue

Who else feels he is?

Let's see: He's behind everything, he's had almost everything retconned for him, he has a s***load of backup plans, he's nigh-untouchable, and he keeps making the heroes (notably TAV) seem weak.

Sounds like guys like Sosuke Aizen (Bleach) and Madara Uchiha (Naruto), no?

Personally, I hope someone finally pulls a Kaguya Otsutsuki (Naruto) on him in KH3.

2. A Zebra Chaser

Depends on the Xehanort, Ansem and Xemnas definitely are not, and even to a degree Xehanort Classic because he's ultimately flawed and wrong. However Birth by Sleep is still the strongest case, since Xehanort's plan could be unraveled at so many points, it basically all revolved around Terra, Aqua, Ventus, Eraqus and Yen Sid being as dumb and passive as possible.

However, there's justification for his overpoweredness. Time travel, to be specific.
    However I think part of the Sue thing involves having his plans actually work. He isn't able to forge the True Kingdom Hearts, Vanitas is destroyed, his Heartless and Nobody are ultimately failures, and even as late as Dream Drop Distance he's STILL messing it up, never mind that in every game so far he's been shown making completely incorrect assumptions about his plans. Sure, he's more powerful than TAV, but they're apprentices and a newly minted Master, he has had literally decades to plan and train, never mind being amped by darkness. And even THEN Terra kicks his ass twice, even when Xehanort gets Terra's young body.

The more I think about it... he's not really that perfect, no

3. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

I had comments but they all pretty much boil down to this. All of his great plans have so far amounted to him surviving... which is the stated goal, but with his track record I don't think he can count on prophecy saving his ass in the final battle.

4. Mixt The dude that does the thing

As pointed out in the trope page, "Probably the rarest type of Sue, as Villains are generally given great powers and abilities to make their inevitable downfall more sweet." A Mary Sue in general does not loose. If they must, it will be a minor loss that they bounce back from. MX on the other hand looses at almost every turn and we know KH3 marks the end of the Xehanort Saga. So either he looses yet again, or gets deterred in some way. While he is an overpowered main-character, he really doesn't fit into Sue territory.

Interestingly to me, I wouldn't have really put MX on the table to be considered a Sue before Dream Drop Distance. He was omnipresent and such, but it felt like he was always a step away from being brought down. The time-travel and clones pushed him that bit farther than I would have liked. But Sora, who had been pretty close to a Mary Sue, finally got his downfall (kind of). I guess it takes the villain dancing with the Mary Sue line to shake the plot armor enough to pull the main character away from it.

5. Alan Smithee Destiny Islands Resident

But didn't MX say his time loop actually destined him to keep losing before DDD?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  6. A Zebra Chaser

MX talks about destiny a lot, but he's almost always WRONG

7. Alan Smithee Destiny Islands Resident

His motive sucks, too:

"I'MMA PROVE BALANCE BY MISUSING DARKNESS AND MAKING GUYS LIKE ERAQUS HATE IT EVEN MORE!"

8. A Zebra Chaser

His motive is he wants to see what the Keyblade War will cause. It's basically purely academic but at some point evolves into seeking godhood.
    It's definitely an interesting prospect, the original keyblade war caused the world to be split into pieces, what would a new one cause?

9. Vagineer Hollow Bastion Committee

Nah. Xehanort and Aizen make some mistakes.

In case of Xehanort, His plan on forging a perfect x-blade failed when Ventus defeated Vanitas inside his consciousness. He failed to create a true Kingdom Hearts as of now. Heck, even his Heartless and Nobody failed to do it too. Most of his plans failed in the series even in Dream Drop Distance since they failed to make Sora the 13th member of the New Organization XIII.

In the case of Aizen (Can I say this in this tread?), He had a whole army of Arrancars in his hand, yet he only sent his top 3 strongest Espada with him to fight the Gotei 13 while the other arrancars were left behind in Hueco Mundo. Once he gained powers from the Hogyoku, he never even used Kyoka Suigetsu at least once since he relies on his new powers so much. And most of all, he planned poorly. Sure, his predictions were mostly correct but once he gains immortality, he forgets his plans entirely.

Anyways. Xehanort isn't considered a Villain sue for me. Since he has to gather 13 versions of himself with the power of time travel to continue with his plans after everything else fails.

10. Master Xehanort Moogle Assistant

The Xehanort "Paradox" ;-)

It is not so simple I think Master Xehanort is manipulated by an entity of the past something in a state of sleep for a very long time and maybe this entity is related with the ancien war again the light of Kingdom Hearts or an entity of the ancient world disappeared long time ago (the realm of darkness).
    Xehanort are not entirely clear of is own vision. There is a possible connection with the foretellers in the ancient tale.

We already have a place where "darkness prevails." When Xehanort stop using his armor and went traveling without protection against the darkness, he probably responding to something or someone in the gap between the worlds ? Something or someone "lost" in a sea of darkness since the antiquity.
    It is said that Xehanort has gained a lot of knowledge in its various long and extensive travel.

I think Xehanort have the same ability of Sora to connect the hearts of people and somehow have a "contact" with the heart of a ancient darkness keyblade wielder and thus gaining some information about the past, war and darkness.

11. Labrys King's Apprentice

You know to this day I still don't really understand his motive, but it's seems like it's worth using his lifetime of wait and defeats. See what I like about Xehanort isn't his "powerful darkness" or his "Super enhanced strength", but his overall strategy. He's smart. He had two or three steps ahead in his plans, and when things turn bad, he would take advantage of it and use it as a strength. What a frightening man he truly is.