Mortal Instruments - City of Heavenly Fire

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hyuge ✧, May 29, 2014.

1. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

Has anyone started reading it yet?? My goodness. I'm only through chapter one so not very far yet and I don't plan to give spoilers or anything. I'm just really excited. It's already started with a lot of action right off the bat and I really liked how Cassy Clare introduced the characters that will be the stars of the new Shadowhunter Series coming next year. They're a few years younger the the caste of Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices, but I think it will still be gooooooood. Augh.

// Goes back to reading //

2. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I'm officially halfway done! About to start Part 2 in just a moment, actually. I started reading it during a ten hour drive and the driver was laughing because I kept gasping. I couldn't believe how serious and action-packed it got so quick. I liked it, it just...intense.
    And seeing Emma and Julian is really cool; I'm already enjoying their characters and can't wait for their series.
    There are several nods to The Infernal Devices and it's just amazing. I think I'll end up rereading all of the Shadowhunter books once I finish this, in addition to get the Magnus e-books, but doing it all in chronological order (So the epilogue of Clockwork Princess after Heavenly Fire).
    There are also parts of this that, if the movie series continues and improves, makes me wonder if they plan on referencing The Infernal Devices plotlines as much as Heavenly Fire does or if it'll get cut (most likely), or end up making The Infernal Devices into movies as well.

I will say this about the book (it's in a spoiler, but it's not much of an actual event spoiler, just something I've noticed in all of the books)

HOW DOES ANYONE TRUST THE FAERIES SO EASILY? THEY'LL ASK THE QUEEN OR MELIORN A QUESTION AND GET A SIMPLE ANSWER THAT YOU CAN DEFINITELY TELL IS ABOUT TO BE TWISTED, LIKE THEY ALWAYS DO. Although, I'm betting that it'll reveal later that it was a ruse to actually trick the Queen.

3. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

TL;DR

So I finished City of Heavenly Fire last night ... at 2 AM ... when I needed to be up at 5:30 to get a ride to work ... Just couldn't put it down until I was done. It was the only way to rest easy with where things were at.

So I gotta say, I did not cry once, not one bit, not until the epilogue when Tessa and Jem are talking Will and then I just started to bawl my eyes out and it was so sad and they just have so much love and auuuuuuuuugh. Will is my favorite. Always has been, always will be. Then Magnus, and followed by Isabelle. [[ sorry, not sorry. this shouldn't be a spoiler to anyone that has read the Infernal Devices and if you haven't read them, then you shouldn't be reading this final volume until you do because about 70% of the content in it relates to the prequels in some way, shape, or form. Doing you a favor right now. Stop reading until you've done that. ]]

I feel very fulfilled and I can't say that about many book series endings. C.C. did a real number in the last two chapters to tie up loose ends. It feels even better to know that things are not really over. If you read the Shadowhunters official webpage [[ which I do a lot because I'm a nerd. hurk ]] then you know that along with our new characters Emma and Jules, C.C. mentions that we will see some familiar faces. There are two special someones that we will definitely be seeing.

Most of what I have to say is pretty much about the ending. So, do not click the spoiler if you're not done reading. I really don't want to ruin everything for you.

I have so many feels right now for pretty much everything. I don't know what to do with myself. This volume was action - packed from the getgo. Cassy did not keep us waiting. Every chapter brought us a new conflict. Getting to the end was a struggle because there was just so much sadness. I want my warlocks -- Tessa and Magnus -- to be happy, but a love like that only comes once -- unless you're Tessa with a very special occasion that allows her to spend a lifetime with both of her loves and it's so good because throughout all of the Infernal Devices you feel like you need to pick sides but you don't want to because4 you just can't hate Will or Jem. They are both perfect in their own ways and my heart breaks thinking about the three of them. When Tessa gives Clary her son's Herondale ring I nearly died. He was a little spitfire in one of the Magnus e - books. I liked him a lot. I just want to know so much more about that family. There is so much there that is left unsaid.

So happy to know for sure Tessa and Jem will be in the Dark Artifices. I am now way more excited to start that series next fall then I had anticipated, even if the characters will be a lot younger. I spent the entire voluming wishing Jem would have told Emma who he was, but he didn't. That was a bit disappointing but she'll learn soon enough. I like that we already know what will be the most likely conflict in the new series. First we had the Uprising, then a vengenful mundane fighting against the Nephilim because they killed his Warlock parents, then a battle against demons, and now the Fair Folk. It's about time something happened with them. They've been nothing but trouble since the beginning. Hopefully they will manage to help Mark by the end of it.

This book pretty much killed me with the feels, especially when Simon offered up his immortality and his memories to get everyone back to Idris. I mean, I knew they would go back for him and reintroduce him into the life and try to bring his memories back somehow, but it still killed me. I really wanted happiness for Isabelle and they just ripped it away. I knew as soon as they mentioned needing new mundanes to Ascend into Shadowhunterhood that they would immediately go back for him because they could finally be together without consequence. There is just no way Simon won't be able to handle the Mortal Cup after everything he's been through.

Might I add that it is ABOUT FUCKING TIME that we learned the name of Magnus's father, Asmodeus??? I mean, 19 volumes later? Really? REALLY?

Idk. This book was just great and I'm glad everyone got to have a happy ending ... except for Jordan. I was really sad that he died. It doesn't matter if Maia was going to break up with him and wound up with Bat. I didn't want him to die. Raphael too at that. I liked his character, especially in the Magnus e - books. He's great and it hurt to see him go.

I just really don't want it to be over and I know that it's not truly over, we'll see some of them again and the story will live on with Emma and Jules, but it won't be the same without them. I definitely loved the characters from the Infernal Devices more, but I loved the story of the Mortal Instruments more than the other and the fact that they all tied together and it was great. Before, there were just subtleties everywhere after the prequels came out, but this book was filled with so much reference to Tessa's story that it dug a knife deeper and deeper into my chest and I knew Jem had his reasons for keeping her out of it, but it would have been so much better had he let her come. i pictured this whole scenario where they went with everyone else and Tessa shapeshifted into Clary to fool Sebastion -- later finding out she wouldn't have been able to use her powers but that was beside the point. I liked Tess a lot more than Clary. It took Clary a long time to actually be useful for soemthing other than causing problems and drawing runes. Tessa fought her own battles from the getgo. I enjoyed her character a lot more, but Clary had a lot of growth too and I'm willing to give her credit for that.

I'm afraid if I stop typing it'll mean it's all truly over and so now I'm just starting to ramble and repeat myself, but I don't want to stop because I'm trying to pour as much of my emotion into it as possible and augh. It hurts. I'll probably go back and reread it all, in the appropriate orders and timelines -- including the Magnus e - books. It'll make things interesting.

One last thing before I force myself to stop. Emma and Jules. I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of teenage angst -- when is there not with these books? -- brought on by the fact that Emma is starting to struggle with the prospect of having romantical feelings towards Jules but they've agreed to be parabatai and being parabatai means they cannot be together in a romantical way. Either they will become parabatai and mangae to change another major facet as to how the Clave operates, or they won't become parabatai, but I see the latter not happening. The struggle wouldn't be as great without it. Idk ... just speculating at this point.