Mexican Swine Flu Virus could become Pandemic

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Patsy Stone, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

BBC link

Do we have many Mexicans on the site? This actually has me kinda worried, even though the whole bird flu thing came to nothing and now means that we have a large stockpile of antivirals.

2. Serbkiller Destiny Islands Resident

Overrated...like SARS. No need to panic.

3. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

The way I see it, it is always one thing or another you know? Like SARS, and then Bird Flu and then this and next it will be that and then it will be the other.

Disease and illness is a part of nature at the end of the day, worrying about it or panicking won't stop it from happening. True I wouldn't be too happy if I caught something and died, but if it happens it happens.

It doesn't matter how medically advanced we are, or how prepared we are, there will always be another threat just around the corner. Instead of panicking and worrying about it, people should instead contentrate on helping those affected to deal with said virus and it's aftermath.

Obviously I do feel sorry for those affected, I just don't think worrying will help fix anything.

4. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

1,600 suspected cases. 1,000 confirmed in Mexico. Direct human-to-human transmission possible. Characteristics similar to the Spanish flu, including its ability to kill healthy adults. I don't see how this can be overrated.

5. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

It could be an issue because some college students had spring break in Mexico, they catch the virus, bring it back to their home countries, and spread it from there. That way it would spread to everyone, and there wouldn't be enough vaccine. That could be cause for concern, but there is no way I'm going to cut off access with the outside world just because of it. Like CtR said, if ya get it, ya get it, and hopefully the people working on the vaccine will be able to have it ready soon. I hope the people who are sick are able to be cured, and no one else gets sick.(even if it isn't likely.)

6. Stardust Chaser

2,600 isn't many people, really. If we work towards finding a cure and treat those afflicted, then we could get this under control. Issue is, I'm sure there are plenty of unconfirmed or even unsuspected cases, and we'd need every country with outbreaks to do this.

But if we panic like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off this could turn really, really ugly.

7. fadedphantom King's Apprentice

I was concerned when I first heard about this because it's inching closer and closer to my hometown and my college (both are in Southern California). But my dad, who is a doctor, has already ordered the cure for our family just in case. So apparently, the hospitals are already prepared to fight this. Since we know what the cure is, I don't think it's anything to get too worked up about.

But of course, if you get the symptoms, go to the doctor and get it taken care of. Don't stress too much about this though...

My thoughts go out to those who have lost someone to this.

8. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

I never said that we should panic, I just think that people should be aware. Especially of what the symptoms are and what to do if you know someone who gets or if you get it yourself. A pandemic is the last thing we need right now.

9. Pezz Kingdom Keeper

even if it does, I'm not worried about it.

10. Juicy Chaser

They on't find a cure. It's a virus and it mutates too quickly :v

Nyah, Ill start worrying when people in Europe start dying. No offense, America xD

11. Pezz Kingdom Keeper

That's where you're wrong, they can create a cure for the virus; however it will take a very wrong time. I don't really care though whether I get it or not. from current statistics, the Odds of dieing from it is far less than one out of ten. So whatever, I say.

Whatever happens, happens. What is, is.

12. Dark Link Banned

um we should be concerned on this espcialy countries with socialized heathcare and medication and I agree with CtR but I would be concerned it doesnt sound like something you wana catch espcialy scince where you live CtR has socialized health care

13. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

I begun playin' Pandemic 2 to see whether it'd spread. Of course, i named the virus Swine Flu.

If we all move to Madagascar we should be safe.

They say two folk in Scotland may have caught it but i'm not scared. If it does spread i'll do my best not to catch it but what happens happens.

14. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

You know, as soon as I heard of it I immediately started drawing parallels with Pandemic 2. Madagascar is our safest bet D:

But yeah, the first (and only) two confirmed cases in the UK are in Scotland. Other people who came into contact with the two have been put into quarantine with mild flu-like symptoms. No deaths yet.

15. Inasuma "pumpkin"

This is a rather disturbing virus, actually. There are 3 supposed cases in Wisconsin, so it kinda sucks.

Still, don't expect a vaccine or cure any time soon, guys. The medical field is ****ed up to hell, so it could be weeks or months. That's just the way the medical field works, thriving off the sickness of the population or slowing down solutions.

I'm hoping my town doesn't get it. That'd **** suck.

16. fadedphantom King's Apprentice

...*points to her previous post*

There is already a vaccine... it only works if you get it within the first few days of symptoms, but still...

17. Fracture Sαlαmαndєr ™

I am kinda worried, because i live in a state where there are an abundance of pigs and swine and that is making my whole family worried and a friends family, they are mexican....

18. Mike Chaser

I'm really afreaid about this Swine Flu.
    Plus, some schools are starting to close over it.

19. Fracture Sαlαmαndєr ™

we had some people at our school come talk to us about it today, which was wierd.....because it happened over the weekend, didn't it...?

20. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

On the topic of the vaccine, it won't be ready for another 6 months. And it will take even longer to produce it in big enough quantities. The anti-virals they have at the moment were tailored Avian flu and so aren't effective enough.

Also, apparently containment is no longer and option and governments are being told to try and mitigate the effects of the virus rather than just trying to stop it getting into their country.

This link contains lots of information including a Q&A on the outbreak. I think it is also updated when there is any new information so that link should remain valid for a while.