Marvel and Sony partner to bring Spider-Man to MCU

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by . : tale_wind, Feb 10, 2015.

1. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  2. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

From a lot of podcasts I follow, I hear that Spider-man plays some importance in the Civil War storyline. I think Marvel either had already started planning this deal a while back or knew that it was a matter of time.

I'm kinda disappointed that Andrew Garfield (most likely) isn't going to play him again. I actually enjoyed "The Amazing Spider-Man" series of films and wish that I could see the results of the long game that they were obviously setting up for.

3. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

With Marvel on board, I now have faith in a Spider-Man reboot that will actually work this time. No more of that 'Amazing Spider-Man' crap. Really anxious how all this will turn out.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  4. burnitup Still the Best 1973

I can't really bring up any sort of excitement about this as I might of once, I knew it would happen eventually. Really, my reaction boils down to this. Should be interesting though, curious to see how they work in Spider-Man in the next Cap movie.

5. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

This only just occurred to me, but as Marvel Studios still can't say "mutants," might they make this Spider-Man an Inhuman? The MCU versions of Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, and Daisy Johnson are, so...

6. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

Has there been any news so far as to what's going to happen to the Sinister Six movie? If that gets integrated in the MCU somehow, praise be to Hollywood gods. :'D

Probably not. If Inhumans are just the MCU's way of getting around not being able to say the word mutant, then Spiderman doesn't fall under that category since mutants are called such because they're humans with the X-gene and Spiderman gained his powers through an outside source.

7. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Technically Spider-Man is what is called in the Marvel Universe as a Mutate.

8. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Spider-Man was never a mutant (at least, I don't think he was ever referred to being one), so this whole mutant vs. inhuman thing doesn't apply to him.

9. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Okay, okay, I get the picture. XD

Personally, I'm hoping they decide to use Miles Morales' Spider-Man in the MCU. We've already had two live-action Peter Parkers within the last ten years; we don't need another. Also, it'd help alleviate the overall whiteness of the MCU.

10. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

I think it was mentioned in the official press release that it was gonna be Peter Parker, not Miles Morales.

Considering that there already is a MCU movie scheduled for November 2016 (Doctor Strange), I'm expecting the Sinister Six movie to either be cancelled or delayed in order to be part of the MCU's Phase 4 lineup.

11. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Ok, since I wrote this, there were some updates. First of all, the Sinister Six movie has been confirmed to be delayed indefinitely, with the reason being for Sony to see how to make a Sinister Six movie with this new MCU deal. I stand by my two guesses that Sony will either cancel the movie or have it be a part of the Phase 4 lineup of the MCU.

Also, Marc Webb (director of ASM 1 & 2) and Andrew Garfield are confirmed to NOT return, pretty much confirming that this is indeed a rebooted Spider-Man, with all future plans for the 'Amazing Spider-Man' movies cancelled. Tough luck for those who wanted to see a continuation of those movies.

EDIT:

Almost forgot to add that sources seem to be confirming that Captain America: Civil War will certainly be MCU Spider-Man's debut.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  12. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

A list of actors have surfaced for the new role of Peter including Logan Lerman and that guy from Teen Wolf and Maze Runner. However, even though it mentions Peter before and those actors are obviously white, Marvel implied that they are also looking into which version of "Spider-Man" they want to use.
    Personally, I want a few movies with Peter than Miles, but...a third endeavor with Peter is...well, I'll paraphrase a blog I follow
    "with all the tweets I've seen of people not wanting to see Uncle Ben die again, I"m starting to think a solo Uncle Ben movie is the way to go."

This would be years in the making, but I would go with introducing Peter shortly after he already becomes Spider-Man (maybe he's been Spider-Man in the amount of time between Avengers: Age of Ultron and Captain America: Civil War?). Follow through with Sony's films and his MCU appearances until the second Sinister Six movie, where he dies and is replaced with Miles. Now, the question for me is: do I want to see Miles before Peter's demise? I didn't like it in comics, originally, how Miles is trying to fill the shoes and mantle of someone he never met, but nowadays, it gives his character a unique feel that I appreciate (until Peter came back #comicbookdeaths).

13. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

I highly doubt they'll be doing it considering MCU Spider-Man's first appearance is in a movie without the name 'Spider-Man' in the title. Maybe a flashback here and there during his solo movie, but I'm pretty positive this isn't the third time they'll be doing an origin story.

14. 61 No. B

I'm now at a point where I would agree with people who are complaining about the over-saturation of Marvel and their Avengers. We desperately need variety and one studio absorbing another's character is not going to help. I'm openly against Peter Parker Spider-Man being an Avenger in any form in any media and always have been, so this is a little unsettling to me. I don't mind Marvel making a Spider-Man franchise, but why does it have to be in this continuity? That's what's I don't like. What's more, we've heard what Marvel wants to do with the character and it sounds horrible. Apparently they're wanting to play up the super-hero aspect of the character more and not make the human characterization the focus. While the previous two films were certainly not perfect, they nailed Peter's character, so to see that go nowhere and this take it's place is upsetting. I don't read current Spider-Man but I've heard people say that Marvel seems to not get Peter Parker in recent years, which makes me even more trepidatious and compounds my worries with their supposed plan for the character in film. This isn't what I wanted to see happen but what Sony had wasn't sustainable. This was inevitable and I still hate it.

And Garfield was the perfect Peter.

this should be in MCU thread (and already is)

15. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

And the new Spider-Man movie will now be directed by Drew Goddard, who interestingly has worked with Joss Whedon before, and has worked a bit on the upcoming Daredevil Netflix show (which is a part of the MCU).

EDIT: Goddard's representatives are denying the reports that he's the new director.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  16. Sebax Avatar by Xerona

(Chanting): Donald Glover. Donald Glover. Donald Glover. Donald Glover.

[​IMG]

Not as a pacifer, but as a legitimate thing. It's not about Race-bending, but casting the guy most like Parker, who is not Andrew Garfield. In the Theatre world, not the Movie Theater world, roles change. All. The. Time. Typically, people get over it; they remember the great ones, but let the new ones go to the boards.

Another strong contender is Josh Hutcherson, of "Hunger Games" fame. I'm sorry. I apologize ahead of here: too damn bulky. Spidey is about as wirey as the webs he slings. Again, in theatre, it doesn't matter what color you are, white, black, purple, or beige, if you're not the right body-type for the part, you likely aren't going to get it. Even at a muscular peak, Glover is still pretty lean. Narrow-shouldered, while Hutcherson is pretty sturdy.

And just think about the significance of the change. Wait, hold up, hang onto that web, this one needs some music from Maguire's Spidey.

Tell me where the muthaflubbin' world stopped turning when Samuel L. Jackson put on a patch. The scary thing about movies these days is that they are afraid to take risks that shouldn't be risks on principle. I can see Glover blending with the existing cast of the Avengers very well.

One thing I hear a lot against this case: Donald Glover? The guy from "Community"?
    Yeah, and Andy Dwyer rocked everybody's socks off as Starlord. It's called, wait for it,... acting.

And the com laude of dumb responses: Spider-Man is not black. I'll leave this one to the Childish Gambino:

[​IMG]

He has Parker's mind and Spidey's heart. He's not the "black Spider-Man". He would be a black Spider-Man, but, he just is Spider-Man.

Sorry, I kinda fanned out for a second there. I'm really anxious about this. I felt like bringing this up. Not trying to change the subject.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  17. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Rumor has it that Dylan O'Brien (Teen Wolf; The Maze Runner) is Marvel's pick to play Peter Parker. I like him well enough, but c'mon, Miles Morales.

18. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

And he's now denying it.[DOUBLEPOST=1425454351][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Already mentioned earlier that the new Spider-Man is confirmed to be Peter Parker, not Miles Morales. Don't get your hopes up. However, this doesn't mean the new Peter Parker can't be black or Latino...

19. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I can't see the latter happening. I mean, I disagree with what Michelle Rodriguez said about minorities needing their own superheroes when questioned about a possible Green Lantern role (although it'd be Power Ring, not GL, but hey, semantics), but I can't see Marvel deciding to make Peter a minority for diversity reasons because it's not just something that they haven't done before and would definitely receive a lot of attention, but because it's PETER PARKER. They have a choice for an ethnic Spider-Man (Miles) and to simply make the main Spider-Man ethnic would seem...easy. I don't think it's the kind of diversity they would be willing to do.

20. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

marvel actually adapted to the movie viewers what comic fans always had retcon as a rebot, wow! Kudos for them.