Traditional Art Mandalorian Build 2.0

Discussion in 'Arts & Graphics' started by Korra, May 12, 2012.

1. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

Back when the Hobbies section was still around, waaay back in 2010, I posted a project about building Mandalorian armor. For those unfamiliar with that or Star Wars in general, think Boba Fett.
    that is one of my favorite Fett images because that actually happened
    Anyway. Since the original posting my armor concept has gone through several revisions (and still is), and is very much a work in progress. My current goal is to get it done and approved by the Mandalorian Mercs costume club, meaning I have to meet certain standards set by the club in order to qualify, by August of this year. More specifically in time for Celebration VI in Florida. Both Fayt and I are working towards that goal, so hopefully we'll make it in time.

My character is a close-range fighter and will use a concussion rifle for range, then use gauntlet-mounted tekkokagi (wrist claws) for finishing the job. The idea for my kit is a bit of a "wild" feel, right now I'm debating on if I want to keep it human species or go with a nonhuman like a Shistavanen to tie in with that though I'm starting to lean more in the nonhuman direction as it's not commonly done and the creativity will help with passing the application process.

Armor concept as of May (quick sketch, nothing fancy):
    [​IMG]
    The symbol on the left would be used in place of the traditional diamond between the chest plates.
    And as of yesterday, I'm going to have this somewhere on my armor - probably my helmet, right now thinking about removing the center stripe altogether and having this there instead. Either that or on one of my chest plates or shoulder bells.
    [​IMG]

This is what I had to start with.
    [​IMG]

And after a bit of sketching and planning and trips to the fabric store, this is currently what my flightsuit and belt look like (picture was taken at like 2am which is why I am so out of it).
    [​IMG]

Meanwhile, I had worked on my blaster - concussion rifle with a bayonet.
    [​IMG]

Since the default position of the front pump is forward and can't be pushed back unless the ammo is present, I opened it up and took all of this out...
    [​IMG]

Going along with the close-combat idea, I decided to add a bayonet. Cut it out of a piece of scrap wood and sanded it to give it shape and dulled it, then test taped it to the front pump, which I had unscrewed and flipped around for a base.
    [​IMG]

It stays in a locked position in the back, but it can be extended too.
    [​IMG]

For the claws, I know that they'll be detachable and will be stored in the pockets on the pants of my flightsuit. Chances are I'll be using rare earth magnets to keep them on the gaunts.
    I also went to the nearby Army/Navy surplus store and picked up a few things.
    [​IMG]
    Best part of the trip was getting gloves that were the same color as my flightsuit and actually fit me, and I'm thinking of making the twin pouches into stun/EMP/flash-bang grenade holders. The larger pouch is thinner so I'm thinking of leaving it as is or cutting off the flap (or at least part of it) and making it a knife sheath.

And that's what I have so far. This will be updated with pictures when more progress is made.

2. jafar custom title

ooo, i'm curious to see how this turns out.

3. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

Doing some test fitting and sizing with templates tonight, since my evening class was cancelled.
    [​IMG]
    Seems to fit okay so far aside from the chest plates - I'm going to have to trip the sides down a bit I think. But that'll be something to decide once I actually get a flak vest (what the plates will be mounted on) and see how everything looks.
    I'm going to see if I have any cardboard boxes under my bed and try making some solid plates out of cardboard, but ultimately mine will be made of plastic.

4. jafar custom title

it looks kinda... cardboardy? are you going to use plastic for the final product or is it going to stay that way?

5. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

It's just a paper template for now purely for sizing, easier to trim down paper than Sintra. But yeah, next step is going to try cardboard, and then when I can meet up with other members again it'll be plastic.

Had some time between classes to knock this out. Definitely a better guide to fitting compared to the paper, also helps with an idea of what shape the plates should have once it's plastic. This is probably as much progress I can make on my own for a bit (unless I decide to take a shot at the knee and boot armor) since I have no easy access or ways to manipulate the plastic.
    [​IMG]
    Trimmed the chest, collar, and ab plates a bit, but I think the chest still needs a little more done. We'll see.

6. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Interesting.

If you get that wolf insignia on your helmet as an outline, it'll look beautiful. Perfect even. If you use thicker red lines that mesh well with the overall size and shape of the helmet, it'll be top notch.

Colour scheme is appropriate, maybe a bit standard, but it invokes warrior spirit and a evocative display, so I think it fits with what you're doing.

I would say if you have some spare time leftover, add something on to your loincloth. If you don't use that wolf insignia on your helmet, it'd be good there I think.

You getting shin guards and boots as well?

7. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

Updates and stuff: Last night I booked the flight, hotel, and Celebration VI tickets for Fayt and myself, so now the main challenge is to get our stuff done and approved by August 22nd.

Turns out another member already has a wolf on his helmet, so I've decided to put it either on the loincloth or one of the shoulder pieces (probably loincloth though). Shins yes, just haven't printed out those templates yet and I do have boots - this isn't the exact pair I'm using, but I think it's similar.
    [​IMG]
    But since it has laces I'll have to get some form of boot armor to cover them...quite hard to find inexpensive, sturdy, non-laced boots in women's sizes.

Messed with my helmet last night, did a mockup of the "ears" that I'd like to have on it eventually. Very much inspired from the Koing Wolf, if anyone remembers Zoids.
    [​IMG]

Going for a raised edge on the outside of the ears.
    [​IMG]

Trying out for a 3D look - Front
    [​IMG]

Back:
    [​IMG]

Side:
    [​IMG]

And just for the hell of it, the symbol I made for Fayt's armor (his colors are dark grays and blues).
    [​IMG]

I'm going home this weekend and right now it looks like I'll be at my clan leader's house on Sunday to get some real armor done. Biggest challenge of this build will probably be the helmet, so if it doesn't look like I can get it done in time, I'll just go with the standard with a rangefinder and after approval will upgrade it later.

8. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

If you're doing Fayts, are we gonna see that build too?

To be honest, it looks like you know each stage of doing everything, Wolfie, I think the only thing your missing is the actual time and materials to build it. And of course the confirmation.

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

9. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

Been a while, but now I actually have stuff to update with.

He's actually building his own, but at the moment it looks like his won't be done for C6 - I think we decided that since it's going to be his first time in the US he'll sort of get the feel for flying over and stuff and then in the future can bring more complex things (like a set of armor).

So far, this is what I have - fixed up the flight suit, made the flak vest, got a nice set of armor from a guy on the Mercs boards, and got some other bits to go with it.
    [​IMG]

While not close to finished yet, it's definitely starting to come together. Hoping to get some paint from Lowes this weekend and start on the torso plates and knees.

10. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

Moved this to Traditional Art since after the work I've been doing this past two weeks...yeah, I'll let it speak for itself.
    Trimmed. Base coat of silver, followed by black, followed by red, then hand-applied charcoal. Knees - painted silver, glued fur on top.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sanded all the paint down, took out the visor, glued halves together, reinforced the inside seam, used bondo to fill the gaps in the dome of the helmet, glued the earcaps on, replaced the rangefinder screw, cut out and replaced the visor, primed, base coat of silver, then black, red, blue, charcoal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't have time (or ideas) to modify the bigger blaster, so I got a Hasbro Boba Fett EE-3 blaster from Target, cut the barrel off, removed the electronics, and used epoxy to glue a small coke bottle to it and reattach the scope. Then came a base of silver, black, and charcoal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Images of some stuff all together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I think that's all I have. Getting really close now, but I only have about ten days to get this done and get official...cutting it close, but I've made a hell of a lot of progress.