Male & Female Differences

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Amaury, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

I've gotten permission from @Plums to create this.

This is a discussion that came up on Square Enix Origin, another forum I visit, and thought I'd start the discussion on here as well.

The OP of the thread on SEO said something about males having less of their type of sexual organ than females. For example, females have thirty while males only five.

Discuss biological differences between males and females, but make sure to keep the discussion PG-13 per forum rules.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  2. Patman Bof

Women are actually hairier than men, their hairs are just shorter and thinner on average (vellus hairs vs terminal hairs).

3. Ghost King's Apprentice

Females distinguish colors better while men are better at tracking fast moving objects. Men aren't as good at seeing colors in the center of the color spectrum, but can see quick changing details from far away. It's because males are born with 20% more neurons in their brain. Most scientist think it's an evolved instinct from prehistoric time when men hunted prey and women had to pick the non-poisonous berries from the poisonous ones.

4. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

Now, this sounds like a right bunch of pseudoscience. Do you have any sources to back it up? Upon a quick Google search, I found this study which proclaims that women in general have 11% more # of neutrons per unit volume in their cortex. I haven't read it in depth yet, but your findings are questionable at best.

Here's a good overview on the anatomical differences between men and women, brain-wise. You will notice this one also estimates that women have ~12% more neurons than men.

5. Patman Bof

Yeah, it sounds suspicious to me as well. I mean even if it is true both survival skills would be useful regardless of gender, so that explanation doesn' t make any sense. I doubt males waited to have a female around to eat the berries they found (not to mention edibility =/= color), and I doubt predators were giving females a break just because they weren' t hunters.

6. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

Another dubious indicator is the phrase, "most scientists [think]" ...

7. Ghost King's Apprentice

0_0 I'm sorry. I meant they have more neurons dedicated to that part of the brain (spacial reasoning/tracking) than females do.

http://www.estime-neurobiomarketing.com/en/news/men-have-more-neurons-that-women.html

Well this probably wasn't a good way to word it, but I meant by most of what I read they all kind of say the same thing about it even if what they say isn't exactly
    the same.

I'm not very good at transferring what I think/read into writing.

8. Styx That's me inside your head.

A woman's lower spine has a more pronounced S-curve and is generally more flexible than a male's, in order to counteract the change in the center of mass during pregnancy.

9. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

Generally, men are better at spatial, statistical thinking while women are better at empathy and the arts. This is normally down to differences in brain structure and can be explained through evolutionary terms. Women who would be empathetic to their children would survive to pass on their genes making the next generation more empathetic and the same with males who thought logically with a good spatial awareness for hunting.

One thing I find interesting is the development into female and male and when that goes wrong. Of course, it's fundamentally a biological change of chemicals but the question of how important social cues are in influencing our development still interests me. Are we born a gender and therefore people treat us like that gender (e.g. calling a girl "Princess" and a boy "soldier") so we grow into the stereotype or were we going that way anyway.

10. Amaury Legendary Hero

Another interesting thing is breasts. Supposedly, males have breasts because all fetuses develop breasts, but they don't grow on those that end up being male.

11. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

Breasts mostly develop in puberty so men don't have them. Men are female to begin with before they develop into a male in the womb but that doesn't mean they ever have any breast tissue. They have no need for it at all.

12. Amaury Legendary Hero

Ah, yes, thank you. I remember that wrong.