Life Without Emotions

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Peace and War, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Would life be easier if we weren't controlled by our emotions, I mean with emotions we act before we think, we anger easily leaving us to act idiotically, stuck on the spot with fear, and so on. While without emotions, your mind would be better focused and have less chance of failure in its task.

The only problem I see is that we can't use adreniline in a dire situation.

2. Anderson (☞゚∀゚)☞ You've lost the game.

Yes and no.

Life without emotions - We wouldn't be distracted from narcissitic desires to fulfill what we need to do. We would act more wisely because, at times, our emotions get the best of us and we end up doing something that we often regret. There would be less conflict that way.

Life WITH emotion - Also, at times, our emotions also let us make wiser decisions because sometimes we often make decisions that benefit others rather than ourself.

3. Soushirei 運命の欠片

If emotions never existed, it would be easier to complete a variety of tasks. In fact, life would be easier and virtually stress-free if we never had free will and were embryotically altered to serve out no other purpose than the one we were given once we're born. Yeah, I took that pretty much from Aldous Huxley's A Brave New World.

Overall, you're probably right.

4. UnknownJudgment Moogle Assistant

Honestly, it's a very tough decision. But I choose life with emotions, even if life without seems better, since there are drawbacks to life without (almost) every emotion. When it somes down to it, it's a pretty close decision between the two to me.
    Let's see...

Happiness: Without it, there'd be no meaning to many things that we do, although that can also be tied in with other things such as pride.

Sadness: Can't think of a drawback.

Anger: While harmful at times, it helps us get things done.

Envy: Can be used as motivation in certain situations.

...Too lazy to think about others right now. Feel free to add to anything, state reasons for disagreement, etc.

5. Spike H E R O

Well,emotions are just what makes us human.It's simple to talk about not having any emotions but we never know what it's like to actually be unable to feel.However,in my opinion,emotions are what makes life worth living for.Not having any emotions uncludes being unable to feel anger,hate,jealousy,greed,e.t.c.But,it also means being incapable of feeling happiness.Tell me,could anyone go through an entire lifetime of being unable to feel at all?Just a constant nothingness.
    Pardon me for using such a childish example,but you remember how badly Organization 13 wanted their hearts?That's because they could'nt tolerate living in emptiness.Also,in the first pirates of the carribean movi,Barbossa and his crew wanted to give up their immortality so that they can feel again.
    In the end,this is what I conclude with:If you give up your emotions,you may lose things that you don't want,but you'll lose the only things that make you human.(no,that's not an animal refference)

6. Soushirei 運命の欠片

I understand what you're all saying, and in all honesty, I'd agree.

However, the clincher is that you wouldn't know what you're missing if you've never experienced it. This is obviously assuming that any remnants of 'emotion-feeling' individuals are eradicated beforehand.

We all reject this type of life because we already know what it's like to love, hate, be angry, be sad, etc. But if let's say our world was never allowed to be this way, and we've never experienced such things, we wouldn't know what we could be.

Ignorance is bliss.

7. Spike H E R O

You bring up a good point,Soushirei,but I think your forgetting something.Without your emotions,you can't feel inspiration.Without inspiration,look at the losses:We don't have music,we don't have art,we would'nt have ideas.Nothing.Books?Without the author's emotions,he has no reason to write a story.Not to mention that we can't learn anything if we're not interested.For interest,you need to be fond of something.
    Name me some of the things you can accomplish without interest.

8. Soushirei 運命の欠片

True, we wouldn't have music, or art, or ideas to create. But that's part of creating a stable world. We wouldn't know about music, art, creative ideas, etc because we'd be thinking outside our programmed 'fate/destiny'.

As for what you can accomplish without interest, you can basically live your life. Safely, stress-free, problem-free. Why? Because there's nothing to fight about, nothing to cry about, nothing to be happy about. We can only be joyous when we know what it's like to have misfortune, but if we're never given that chance, we will never know. Consequently, we'll live 'contently' for our entire lives.

In actuality, I think you're forgetting something. If humans never had inspiration, we'd never have music, etc. Anything that is a product of 'inspiration' or 'emotional outlet' shouldn't be considered to be in existence when considering this hypothetical world.

Imagine eating, sleeping, working. The End. No such thing as marriage, women get pregnant via the needle, sex is a recreational hobby, etc.

9. Eclipse Hollow Bastion Committee

in one of the faily oddparents theres an episode where timmy wishes he didnt have emotions.watch that one and than think again.that might also answer your question lol.

10. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Or read A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. <.<;

11. Thir13en King's Apprentice

Life - emotions = no life

But really we need emotions. As youve said, no emotions, no inspiration. Kingdom Hearts would never have been made. Heck, the internet wouldn't exist. We'd almost still be in the stone age.

12. Explode Who?!

People keep on mentioning what we wouldn't have, but that doesn't matter. In a world with no emotions, there wouldn't be a need for Art, Music, Literature, Video Games etc. because boredom wouldn't exist. We wouldn't want emotions, because longing wouldn't exist. There would be no jobs because a sense of responsibility wouldn't exist. No one would step out as a leader, since leaders need a sense of power, but this lust doesn't exist. We wouldn't eat because we wouldn't be afraid of death. Therefore, in theory, we would all live and die without any accomplishment whatsoever, and time would be at a standstill until the end.

13. AlexleHoshi Dude called Alex

Life without emotion would just be like being a lifeless shell, wortless. When our emotion make us feel a way that we can learn from we become better and sometimes wiser.

But without them we wouldn't be hurt as much as we are now, but that is how we learn in life, from living with thing we don't like.

So all in all I can't really see how we would be better off without emotions, since some of the best things made in life are made with emotions.

14. La Sofa ('_')-l3 No worries

I love my emotion. If you did not have it then you would not like anything or dislike anything. You just be a idiot.

15. xekushi Gummi Ship Junkie

Actually in a world of no emotions, there would of course be no music, art, creativity and more. Basiclly it'd be a shallow life BUT the main thing is without creativity, I don't think the human race would've gotten very far. The great inventers of the world would never have thought up their inventions or anything. We'd be living amound the trees, of course that wouldn't matter with a lack of emotions.

16. Peyton Goddess Of Love ♥

I don't really see the reason to live without emotions. It would be like beeing robots. And what would even be the point if you didn't feel anything by doing anything.
    Like an example - what fun would it be taking a rollercoaster when you didn't feel any fear or hapiness ? -
    It would simply just be to be.

17. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

I agree completely. Without emotions, we're Nobodies: heartless beings who do not truly exist.

The desire to feed is not an emotion: it's an instinct. No one said anything about instinct.

18. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Yeah, eating is a physiological need. You don't have to have emotions in order to do that.

Many of you seem to be missing the major upside of not having emotions, or free-will for that matter.

If you discern correctly, if we all didn't have our elaborate emotions, and followed a specific course of life that we were born and fated to do; we would basically achieve global stability. No wars would start because no one would hate each other, no one would disagree because we wouldn't be able to 'think outside' our primary programming. No one would go hungry or thirsty because we'd never have the chance to become that famished. No one would be 'unhappy'; we'd all be 'content'. The assumption again is that this is how things had always been from birth till death, so you can't 'miss' what you haven't experienced because you wouldn't know any better.

Now obviously to do this there needs to be sacrifices. Art, beauty, passion, inspiration, etc would all have to be thrown away. Today, we live in a world inevitably flourished with 'chaos'--where our free-will drives us in many different directions. Wars occur, racism exists, disputes between others on many aspects of life exist because we have the ability to think for ourselves and act accordingly to a certain degree. Now obviously if we are able to have these extremes and infinite amount of things, we learn a vast variety of things and attain all sorts of knowledge. While we can all agree this sounds like a nice arrangement, it is also the reason why wars still happen, why people murder, why racism still exists, etc.

Now don't get me wrong, in light of all that, I still a prefer a life like the one we live in now, with our emotions and with our free-will, but I do admit that by removing off of these things, global stability is quite a possibility.

And please do continue to spout your justifications for why 'that would suck and why it's not being alive', but just remember that you only know this because you've already experienced what it's like to have emotions and have free-will. You wouldn't be able to say such things had you been born into a world such as the one I described earlier.

19. Mirai King's Apprentice

Emotions are a biproduct of social animals. Emotions allow them to work together. Usually, a social animal can't go solo, or it'd die. Humans are social animals. Without emotions, we'd have no need to work together. Therefore, we'd die.

To those who think "no emotions=no life," most animals have no emotions. Yet they live just fine. It's in the genetic code from evolution that allows life to be motivated to strive to survive.

20. Spitfire I'm a little high, and a little drunk.

This basicly wraps up everything, people are engineered to be workers and have no need for emotions.
    I don't know if you can say that animals have no emotions, chances are I am wrong but I haven't read a theory on that yet. But with out emotions we become in a way sub-human, since our inablity to control our emotions makes life erratic. That is what makes life interesting, people suddenly having a burst of emotion and having some kind of creative spark.
    Without said emotions, where does that leave humanity, right where I stated above as breathing meatsacks that are created to fill jobs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.