Life Is A Game Of Chess: Book 1

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Technic☆Kitty, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

This is a fimfic. For those of you who don't know what that means learn the interwebz it's a fanfic based on MLP: Friendship is Magic. This one is based in an alternate universe. Events held within this fic are not to be misconstrued as canonical events from the show. While I may end up using some canonical events from the show, the majority of this content will not be canon.

This is the first book in a series I just started writing. For now I'm using actual characters from the show. I have an OC I plan to use in the second book though I'll probably use a few in this book.

WARNING: If you hate all things pony, now's your chance to turn around and leave. No turning back beyond this point.

Story rated PG-13 because of romantic implications.

Chapter One: Marbles and Romance

He had been waiting in the hall for some time now. Trotting back and forth at a steady pace. His face riddled with worry. There were so many questions buzzing through his mind. Questions like, "Is she okay? What's taking so long? Why do I have to wait in the hall?"

He stopped to glance at the clock. He was debating on whether to be happy or shocked that an hour had passed without any word. To him it had felt more like an eternity. Just as he was about to hunt somepony down to give him some answers, one of the doctors trotted out of the emergency room. The doctor looked at him and hesitantly spoke, "I'm afraid I have some bad news."

His heart skipped several beats, "What is it?!" He was about to pin the doctor against the wall out of sheer panic alone.

The doctor waved a hoof, "Oh, don't worry; she's fine."

"Well, what's the bad news?" He was hesitant to relax his demeanor. He was still far from calm.

"I'm afraid she won't be covered on your insurance. You'll have to pay the entirety of the bill out of pocket."

He let out a sigh of relief, "That's all? I thought it was something serious! How much do I owe you?"

"The doctor held out a slip of paper. He took the paper and gave it a once over. The paper read, "Foreign object removal from nasal cavity: 2,000 bits." He immediately proceeded to place his flank on the floor, along with the rest of his body.

***​

He was trotting down the road analyzing the bill over and over again, ignoring the cold night air as he made his way. Beside him was the young filly who had just cost him his entire bank account. She had been on the verge of tears for awhile now. Finally she decided to break the silence, "I-I'm sorry, mister Night Light. We were only just playing and ... I didn't mean to cause you any trouble. Whatever the bill was I'll pay you back. I'll get a job. I'll get two jobs! Just please don't be mad at me!" Tears began to stream down her cheeks.

Night Light stopped and sighed, "I'm not mad at you Bon Bon. Accidents happen." He wasn't going to mention how the odds of accidentally getting a marble stuck up your nose were astronomical.

"A-Are you sure you're not mad?" She was attempting to sniffle away the tears.

Night Light smiled as he patted her head, "Of course not. How could I be mad at one of my prized pupils?" At that Bon Bon perked up with a smile. "Come on," he said as he began trotting once more, "let's get you home."

Bon Bon, maintaining pace beside him, asked softly, "Um ... are you gonna tell my mom about this?"

He thought on it for a moment before replying, "No, I won't tell your mother about this."

"Yay!-"

"If you have a three page report of why putting things up your nose is bad by Moonday morning.

"Aww." She contemplated all the fun she would be missing out on over the weekend but weighing that with the trouble she caused her instructor she felt it would be best to sacrifice one weekend. "Okay," she gave in. "Does it have to be in Emily format?

Night Light laughed at Bon Bon's obvious mispronunciation, "I think you mean M-L-A format."

"Yeah, that!" She seemed almost too excited for having just been assigned a three page report. He had a sneaking suspicion as to why.

"No, my little pony. Just make sure to spell check before you turn it in."

"I'll make Lyra proofread it for me!" He was right.

"Are you sure about that? She didn't fare to well on the lat report I assigned her." He gave her an inquisitive look.

"Well," Bon Bon hesitated, "she didn't want to look like a nerd in front of the class. She's actually really good when it comes to that stuff.

"She does know that I don't make you foals read the reports aloud, right?" He let out a half sigh of frustration.

Bon Bon scrunched up her muzzle, "She's got book smarts but she's lacking a bit in the common sense department."

"Maybe you could mention to her how much I'd appreciate it if she tried to do well in class. She shouldn't feel ashamed to be knowledgeable. Princess Celestia almost never falters whilst speaking. That takes a lot of talent but it also takes a lot of knowledge." He paused for a moment, "She also knows that you're all in an advanced class for gifted foals, right?"

"Booksmarts..." At that the two of them laughed as they continued trotting through the night.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014