lately in russia

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by uglynameless, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uglynameless Destiny Islands Resident

anybody know whats up with vladimir putin not liking us missiles in Europe? i heard about that somewhere.....

2. Laurence_Fox Chaser

You just now noticed that Putin has a problem with US missiles in Europe?

Suppose you also don't know about his chosen candidate to succeed him as Russian President.

Reading the news helps. :3

3. uglynameless Destiny Islands Resident

sheepish grin

hehe i probably should watch the news more often.

4. The Great Gatz Chaser

Ok so this is what's going on. The US want to set up a missile defense system in Russia. Since Russia borders Iran it would be an ideal location to stop long range nuclear weapons. Now one other thing about Russia is that a while back I believe a week or two in September Russia claimed the North Pole part of Russia. Russia just seems like the same old Communists we used to love to hate.

5. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

Nooo, lol. They don't want to put it in Russia itself. They want to put it in Europe, some of it being located in ex-USSR countries. Russia actually has every right to be peeved, as the rest of the world should be against America on this too. If this missile defence system was installed the MAD principle would fall apart. America could launch nukes at Russia but Russia's would be shot down. They would become effectively defenceless in that respect.

6. Repliku Chaser

I can understand about the missile deal and them not wanting to go along with it...but when I heard the news about Russia trying to claim the North Pole etc as theirs...all I have to say is...WHAT?!!! I have no idea why they think they have any claims to that or anyone exactly does for that matter. I think Russia is just trying to start things to do it and get back their former power as when they were feared at this point. It's a shame really. I'm not certain what to positively think about Russia anymore, except for the fact I have a couple friends there and hope they will be okay and that there isn't another 'Red Curtain' due to these pulls of power.

7. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

Everyone wants the Artic now because all of the more easily accesible oil sources are running dry. There is (apparantly) quite a lot under the arctic, so the various nations are rushing to stake their claims. Although, knowing our world now (and reading lots of fiction xD) there are probably 'other' reasons for the mad dash. >_> <_<

8. Laurence_Fox Chaser

At this point in time, Russia is peeved with the US. It goes back to 9/11 and how they weren't recognized in the aid it gave the US. Putin heavily disagrees with the war in Iraq and this Missile defense system may just be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Putin has every right to be angry about this. It would give the US an edge against Russia should Russia ever become a power again. and like stated before, it shoots down the MAD clause, wherein if one country pushes the button another country will push its button and both countries will be destroyed. In this instance, if the US fired a nuke, Russia couldn't do anything about it. If Russia fired a nuke, the US could shoot it down over former Russian controlled lands

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.