Lana Del Rey

Discussion in 'Music' started by Hiro ✩, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Hiro ✩ Guardian

So very recently I was looking through tumblr and I found an audio post that had an image of a favorite character of mine as the album art, curious, I clicked it and was introduced to this lovely song:

Anyway, I'm curious. Has anyone else here heard of her? And if so, what songs by her do you recommend? I've only heard a couple, but I really love her sound and stuff.

2. Antidote Façade

God, where do I even begin? I absolutely adore this woman. She usually sings in a lower register, but I love when she uses her higher, more girly voice too.

Some favourites of mine are;

Mermaid Motel
    Yayo
    National Anthem
    Dark Paradise
    Cola
    American
    Body Electric
    Paris
    Also love Go-Go Dancer but I won't link to it since most versions have been bastardized .__.

If I keep going I'll be bombarding you with too much, so I'd say just check out her albums Lana Del Ray a.k.a Lizzy Grant, Born to Die and her EP Paradise. I would also definitely search for her unreleased work since there is some gold to be found.

3. Jayn

Queen of Disaster

Prom Song ( Gone Wrong )

Lolita

Off to the Races

Blue Velvet

Once Upon a Dream

Full Born to Die album. [ May be pitched, but it's my favorite album of hers ].

I don't know how to describe my fascination with Lana. The first time I heard her I was like 'why' and then the second time was just whatever. Then the third time, which was her cover of Once Upon a Dream was like '... oh?' so then I listened to Born to Die and now I'm in love with her. I love her voice, and her more ~ vintage ~ songs as well as the hip hop vibe. Some of her lyrics are eh, but others really speak to me.

I think I really started to like her after listening to her live. She wasn't very good, honestly, but there was this genuinity towards her fans that really touched me and I think her awkwardness / shyness on stage is kind of adorable. v: I love the generally classy way she carries herself but also the more vulgar / risque side.

I also appreciate the fact that I can actually sing her ****ing songs because she doesn't sing in this ridiculously high register like a barbie doll.

4. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I adore Lana, my favourite song of hers will always be "Yound and Beautiful" from the Great Gatsby soundtrack because that song is just amazing in every way.

Other than that, and what everyone else has said:
    Summertime Sadness
    Blue Jeans
    Born to die
    Video games
    Ride (the video in 10 minutes long but the actual song is a lot shorter but I love this video anyway)

No but seriously, Young and Beautiful!

5. Misty gimme kiss

I can't decide how I feel about Lana Del Rey. She has this weird combination of (often) cringe-worthy lyrics and bad live performances that somehow works out for her. She has a really interesting style (musically) and her songs are definitely catchy. I don't think she's the greatest thing to grace music like a lot of people make her out to be, but she does have this oddly compelling aura to her music.

6. Antidote Façade

Just wanted to bump this thread back up to say Lana's new album Ultraviolence releases next week! (out today in Aus, NZ, Ireland & Germany)

[​IMG]

The lead single is West Coast and she has also released three promo singles;

Shades of Cool, Ultraviolence, and my personal favourite Brooklyn Baby !

Actually really excited for this. From what I've heard she's being a lot more experimental with her music and messing around with different genres. Wonder if it'll top BtD...

7. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I listened to the start of the album and found no song that stuck out to me, I want to finish listening to it (or relisten to it, Lana Del Rey is someone I feel I need to listen to a few times to get the song). Having said that, "Brooklyn Baby" is sounding very cool currently : D I love her music very much but a lot of this album felt too slow to me, I know her style is kind of slow but it wasn't a slow that particularly grabbed me.

8. Antidote Façade

Yeah I agree with you there - on first listen I was quite ambivalent to the album as a whole, and it worried me because I loved BtD right away. On listening to it thereafter though it has become a lot better to me. Not quite album of the year but I'm really enjoying it now.

I think the problem most people have is the obvious drastic change in style. I'm kinda glad she at least tried to switch things up or it would've been too same-y to BtD and Paradise. Some of the tracks are maybe a bit too long also.

But yeah, see how you feel after listening to the rest of the album (I personally find that the second half is better). I also see that you like Young and Beautiful- there is a song on the album called Old Money which is a sequel to it. It's a really nice song. ;-;