Justin Bieber Arrested on Drunken Driving, Resisting Arrest Charges

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Amaury, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

Note: I will be keeping a very close eye on this thread; if there are any nonconstructive negative comments, such as, "it's about time; he deserves it," I will report them immediately. You're welcome to a negative opinion, but it must be constructive and not bashful.

In any case, it's too bad that happened, but hey, you do the crime, you do the time. In the grand scheme of things, though, these aren't very serious crimes. I'd rather not have any crime, but since that'll never happen, I'd rather have this than assault, for example.

Justin Bieber Arrested on Drunken Driving, Resisting Arrest Charges
    • Source: CNN
    • Published: January 23, 2014

There are videos in the source link above.

2. AlexleHoshi Dude called Alex

This really does not surprise me with JB, and what's worst, his fans will still think of him highly (Sorry if this sounds like I'm basing them). I'm just hoping that he'll soon just slip under the radar until he sorts himself out... But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  3. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I think he's actually hitting the teenage stage. Rebelling testing the boundaries of those who love him, trying to find out who he is anymore after so much judgement.
    He's been acting like those for a while, and if he's not careful he'll be repeatedly offending going the way of other young artists. All up to him, after all.

4. Misty gimme kiss

On the contrary, this is an extremely serious crime. From the article it looks like they were blocking off traffic, inconveniencing everyone in the area; on top of that, driving while intoxicated is one of the most reckless and foolhardy decisions a person can make. I may just have a personal reaction to it because my mom was injured very badly by a drunk driver (she could've been killed, really), but I have no respect for anyone caught driving under the influence of anything--not to mention that Bieber was apparently in a GROUP of people in similar states. And of course, he'll get off the hook because he's rich & famous.

It's a long time coming, though. His behavior has been erratic for ages now, and it's pretty much public knowledge that he's on drugs. I do wish he had someone to intervene on him, but he's getting into real, major trouble now. It's unfortunate that this happens to so many child stars.

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not for drunk driving at all, because I don't really like drunk people to begin with. I'm just saying that if you had to, for example, choose only between drunk driving and murder, I'd say that murder is definitely worse and I'd rather have someone driving drunk on the streets than committing murder. Drunk driving is a serious crime, yes, I just meant that it's not as serious compared to other things like assault. I probably worded my sentence weirdly, though.

As for blocking traffic, admittedly, I oversaw that, but I still feel the same way. Put together, it is very bad, definitely, but the individual crimes, as I said before, are serious, but not that serious in the grand scheme of things. However, that's only my opinion and I can definitely understand and respect where you and others who may disagree come from, especially if an experience like what you had, Misty, happens.

6. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

You know what, I'm glad that the situation was dealt with in the way that it was because no one got hurt. That is a freaking miracle. Drunk driving does lead to vehicle accidents, which links to causes of numerous deaths, and they will be tried for murder. I'm happy no one was injured, especially since they were doing the drag race in a residential neighborhoods (speed limits there are between 25-30 and they were clocked at going 60).

And your defense of "at least it's not murder" is very flawed. Like it or not, this is a serious crime that he did commit because of what could have potentially been the aftermath. It's like trying to defend a rapist by saying "at least he didn't kill the girl, so it shouldn't be that serious." There is a reason why there are heavy campaigns and laws against this kind of thing. He could of died, or worse, someone else could have because of his reckless endangerment. And you know what's worse, he would have gotten away with it, just as easily as he was released from jail. He would be found innocent and/or have no jail time if he had killed someone because of his celebrity and I'm willing to bet that he wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over it.

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

I never said it wasn't serious. Read my post again. I did agree that it was serious, but it's by no means worse than murder, so I fail to see how that analogy is flawed.

As for your rape example, that's a bit different because the person is physically hurting the person they're raping, whereas drunk driving is not directly hurting someone. Drunk driving can potentially hurt someone, I completely agree, but not directly like rape.

8. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Comparing to murder does not diminish the crime at all because not only could that have definitely led to vehicular manslaughter, but you can't compare a crime to a more serious crime that the accused didn't do just to show him off in a better light. So yes, he does deserve to be arrested for that and I hope he loses some fans over this (but let's be honest: he probably won't). He was drag racing in a neighborhood under the influence and while underage. I don't care if he's trying to be the "new Chris Brown" or not, that alone should carry enough serious repercussions.
    1. Driving without a valid license.
    2. Driving under the influence.
    3. Driving under the influence while underage.
    4. Drag racing in a residential neighborhood.
    5. Going 60mph in a 30mph zone.
    6. Obstructing traffic.
    7. Resisting arrest.
    That's 7 reasons right there to lock him up; anybody else would have been.
    On top of all of the recent troubles with the law that he had, it's obvious that he doesn't care and thinks he's above the law. Considering all of the recent crap that he's done, trying to diminish his crime in any way is a slap in the face to every one else and the law and teaches him that it's okay to do that.

9. Amaury Legendary Hero

I was talking in general. Like I said, if you had to choose only between someone attempting to murder you or someone driving under the influence, I'd think you'd choose the latter, wouldn't you?

As for being arrested, I never said he didn't deserve to be arrested. Anyone that does something like this should be jailed. I'm just saying that the crime in the grand scheme of things isn't so bad, but it is bad.

Also, wishing that he loses fans is considered bashing. Please don't say that.

10. Misty gimme kiss

It doesn't work like that. Crimes are crimes are crimes, and people need to face the repercussions of their actions. No, he didn't kill anyone, but he endangered lives and made some extremely irresponsible choices. Trying to soften his crimes by comparing them to something like murder is making excuses for his behavior.

And really, I wish that a guy like this didn't have fans. He is setting an awful example for what is a primarily teenage fanbase.

11. Amaury Legendary Hero

Okay, now I see where people are coming from. I wasn't trying to make excuses for his behavior -- because I agree, it's unacceptable -- I guess what I was trying to say was that he could have done worse, but I was saying it in a roundabout way. My apologies.

In regards to his fans, that's a much better way to put it. However, simply wishing any "bad" celebrity didn't have fans without providing a reason makes a person sound like they're just wishing they didn't have fans simply because they don't like then. I mean, they can dislike them, but wishing a celebrity didn't have fans shouldn't be for that reason.

12. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

If you want a reason, I can give you a very simple one: What happened today proves he is a terrible role model. He lost his right to have fans.

13. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

It bothers me that he wasn't locked up, yes he is a celebrity but that fact shouldn't excuse anyone. I admit, I don't know exactly why he was let off so easily, it may have been another reason but I am almost positive that this had some influence on it.

Teenage rebellion and stardom do not mix well, when you have all the money you can do it all, when you have status you feel like you are above the law but he is just another human. I hope he will learn his lesson and not be so reckless again and perhaps develop into a better role model. I wish he could learn his place quickly before anyone actually does get hurt.

Also, on a side note, it amazes me how eggs can cause $20,000 of damage O.o were they hardboiled or something?

14. Amaury Legendary Hero

Thank you. That's all I ask for.

Like I said, when it comes to any celebrity crime, if someone just says, "I hope they lose their fans; they deserve it," it makes it completely obvious they dislike or hate the person. Dislike or hate shouldn't be a factor when it comes to that sort of thing. However, if the same person were to say, "I hope they lose their fans because they aren't setting a very good example with their recent behavior," then that shows there's a legitimate reason behind it. They may dislike or hate the person, but the comment they said wouldn't be based on that, but rather from a logical point of view in that a good example is not being set.

15. Antidote Façade

I'm not really sure how to feel about this. He has been on the news so much recently for wrongdoings that it's honestly hard to keep up.

Obviously the fame, pressure, the fact that you have no privacy, etc is getting to him big time, but I've never really heard of someone going off the rails this bad. He is being completely immature and it's like he's doing this just for the hell of it, like he doesn't care.

He really just needs to listen to his family and any others who have tried reaching out to him and go into rehab. He obviously needs the time to get his head together, or else this won't end well. Though I think it will get worse before it gets better, to be honest.

I also don't like that celebrities always manage to skip out on jail just because of who they are. Doing time would almost certainly open their eyes to the big, bad "real" world.

16. DaSpade101 Destiny Islands Resident

He's really hit rock bottom as far as his career is concerned.

If you think about it though, back when he first debuted, he wasn't really like this. If he hadn't received so much hate over something he couldn't control, who knows if things could have been different? He got boo'ed at a lot of concerts and everywhere he went for really no reason. That's bound to take a toll on people. Just look at other stars that have been excessively scrutinized for years. Of course, now there's a reason to insult him, but what occurred here was basically confirmation bias. Confirmation bias is used throughout the field of psychology. It's basically someone (particularly media) that persists on finding information that can be used against said person to confirm previous beliefs. These beliefs are usually false to begin with. An example would be how the media constantly looks for something wrong Bieber has done, and when he finally does something wrong the media says: "See! We were right! We told you! Justin's such a dbag, and we've known it all along!"

Everyone thinks Bieber brought this upon himself, but really, Bieber's whole career has just been one big incident of bullying. It has really shown what happens when a majority constantly bashes a person for something they can't control. It may not seem like much, but to celebrities it's a huge weight on their shoulders. Being a celebrity means you have thousands, no, millions of people watching your every move. In Bieber's case, millions of people insulting and criticizing his every move.

17. ShibuyaGato Transformation

I've made my opinion on Bieber crystal clear in the past, and if this sounds like nothing more than unsupported bashing, it's probably because I'm fed up with this kid's reckless and ridiculous behavior.

He needs to be locked up for a month or two at least. If he pays his way out of jail within eight hours, how in the hell is he going to learn his lesson? I mean, look at RDJ: he used to be a drug addict, and there came a point where the judge said enough is enough and kept him locked up for a while so he'd learn his lesson. If he's properly punished for his behavior then there may still be hope, but for a rich kid with this much of a reputation consequences are nothing but a joke -- hence his smug as shit mugshots. Would any ordinary 19 year old ever get out of drag racing in a residential neighborhood while under the influence and resisting arrest? The answer, quite simply, is NO.

Not only that, but seeing his fans continue to support him is driving me nuts. They're seeing how many dumb decisions he's making, and they just continue to keep their blinders on. It pisses me off, and anyone who acts like this doesn't deserve to be admired in the eyes of so many young people. I live near where he was arrested, and I would've loved it if they hadn't posted any kind of bail, but they let him off the hook, and I can almost guarantee you that something like this is going to happen to him again.

18. DaSpade101 Destiny Islands Resident

His fans will always support him. It's just like how LIl Wayne went to jail and people started "Let my boo go" petitions, trying to free him; it's not just Bieber's fans. There's nothing really you could do about it. Most of them want to be considered "true fans" by supporting him through the end because nobody likes being called a fake in American society.

19. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I am going to flat out say that he deserved it. I think he needs to get back in touch with reality. Like Cat said, a lot of stars have done stupid crap but then something happens and they start turning their life around. Robert Downy Junior is a good example.

He could have easily killed someone with what he was doing. We hear it all the time how people, sometimes entire families, are killed by drunk drivers. How would his reaction be to the knowledge that he had killed someone's wife/husband/daughter/son/sister/brother/etc with his reckless and selfish behavior?

And then there's this.

Like it or not, he has legions of fans that look up to him. When he does something, these fans will think that it's okay and seek to emulate him. 'Oh Justin drinks and drives, that means I can drink and drive too!' It's a bit like having a younger sister or brother. If big brother/sister does something, the younger sibling wants to too. Or you can think of it like a girl playing with Mom's makeup or a young son lugging around daddy's briefcase.

I think he needs some authority figure. Whether it be a judge ordering him to spend time in jail or to go into rehab to clear his head. He needs a wake up call. Before his reckless behavior gets someone killed.

20. 61 No. B

I don't know what gods of the entertainment industry decided that when someone has fame of this caliber and commits a crime, not only does he get off but his popularity doesn't take a hit and people start defending his insane actions, but in the real world, the world you and I live in, when someone does something this serious they would be facing serious time and a stigma forms where (barring initial gossip) people are almost scared to approach or mention the person. So yeah, he should go to jail, he should be penalized to the fullest extent for his crimes, he should lose some amount of fame, he should lose his fans, the general perception of him should plummet, and anything else that would happen to anyone who's not one of the most successful people on the planet should happen to him.

It disgusts me that there are people in this world who will continue to support a person ad absurdum who has repeatedly shown no capacity for respect of people or laws. This person is scum and deserves to lose everything. Not for his most recent run-in with the law, not for assaulting a guy taking pictures, not for verbally abusing a fan, not for whatever he'll do next week and suffer no consequences, but for all of these combined. For every time he has been outrageously disrespectful to people who have less than him. It pains me to know that there's a little kid out there somewhere buying one of his songs on iTunes not knowing that the person he/she is giving his/her pennies to would probably sooner spit in his/her face than give him/her five minutes of his time. Kids look up to this guy. I would like to think that there are people out there that know better, and while some do, unfortunately some don't. And what's worse is that there are people that do know and continue supporting him for some reason I'll never understand. Why? Why should a guy who has been in the news for either breaking the law or being disrespectful countless times continue to have legions of fans? He shouldn't, and anyone with the smallest sense of decency shouldn't want to support him. And I know he's not the only celebrity guilty of this. I understand that he's just being rebellious, and I'm sure being in the public eye for so long will affect a person, but that doesn't excuse anything. He can't keep getting away with it.