Film Jurassic World (Jurassic Park 4)

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Hayabusa, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Hayabusa Venomous

[​IMG]
    Yup, we finally got a release date...well, a vague one, but still: 2015

Director is Colin Trevorro, who directed films like "Safety Not Guaranteed" (which I liked.)

No plot synopsis or cast revealed yet.

2. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Well as long as there are no raptor/human hybrid super soldiers involved then I will happily get excited.

3. PirateNinjaHanyou Traverse Town Homebody

I've only seen the first Jurassic Park movie, and loved it.
    Haven't heard so many good things about the other two movies, though. So I have a feeling that this one'll turn out either REALLY good or REALLY bad.

But if nothing else, dinosaurs animated in modern CG. Now THAT is something I can get excited about.

4. Hayabusa Venomous

I actually hope that they use a lot of conventional effects. Don't get me wrong, modern CGI looks amazing, but there's something just...unmatchable, seeing an actual moving replica of a dinosaur.

5. burnitup Still the Best 1973

So very true.

6. Hayabusa Venomous

First teaser trailer is now up:

Can't wait to see how shit hits the fan this time.

7. Patman Bof

Jurassic Park is the oldest CGI movie I can think of who managed to cross the uncanny valley. Its CGI shots haven' t wrinkled much, it' s the practical effects that stick like a sore thumb. Few CGI heavy movies released the same year can say the same (if any). Don' t take me wrong, I love practical effects done right, but it' s all about using the right tool at the right time.

That being said I' m not particularly looking forward to that movie. The only part of the first movie that was appealing to me was its CGI tour de force, its story and characters were rather vapid. Now that the wow factor is gone (the sequels made it painfully obvious) you' d have to cook up an actual plot to save that sinking ship. Huge horror movie potential, but I expect them to stick to PG 13 family junk.

8. Hayabusa Venomous

TRAILER

NO JOKE I NEED TO SEE THIS

I actually liked both the story and the characters of the original Jurassic Park film. I'll give you the fact that neither aspect was especially strong, but it's clear why characters like Dr. Grant, Hammond, and Malcolm into a situation dealing with the resurrection of animals that are supposed to be dead: they each have ideals about what the park represents that clash with each other in some way.

One thing that I like from the trailer already is that they're discussing something that was vastly relevant to the first film's story: genetic engineering. The first film saw dinosaur DNA mixed with frog DNA, hence why the dinosaurs were able to actually breed and escape their confines, and now this one has some kind of Frankensaurus Rex.

9. Patman Bof

Oh sure, the sequels were actually dreadful in that area. It was serviceable I guess, but the themes it dealt with had so much more potential than that.

10. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Now, I am a massive fan of Jurassic Park. The first film was my favorite growing up and is still my favorite movie. I didn't care for the sequels that much so when I heard they were making a new movie I was... skeptical to say the least. After all, the sequels could aren't exactly the best. But as more and more got revealed I started to become rather cautiously optimistic about the film, hoping that it'll be good but still expecting it might turn out bad.

Then I saw the new trailer and now I just want to really see it!

11. Mish smiley day!

I mean, I'll go to see it.. but was that really Chris Pratt leading an army of velociraptors while riding a motorcycle?

12. Patman Bof

I forgot to articulate what truly annoyed me with the story of the first Jurassic Park : it' s one more of those movies Hollywood loves to churn out opposing traditional values to scientific progress. Somehow all those super smart scientists turn out to be bumbling buffoons whenever it comes to the simplest measures of security. It was exactly the same in Beginning Of The Planet Of The Apes (though at least Caesar was interesting), and the list is endless. Yay obscurantism !

I know, I know, if they don' t screw up you don' t get your catastrophe movie.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  13. burnitup Still the Best 1973

I read some where that the movie will include tamed raptors. Sooo, yes?
    Technically the scientists aren't at fault in JP if you think about it. John Hammond is more at fault.

14. Patman Bof

I won' t bother watching the movie again to list everything they did wrong, but they share their load of guilt.
    At least the "family values" representatives were passionate scientists themselves, I can give you that.

15. burnitup Still the Best 1973

The scientists only mistake was the whole frog DNA thing. Really they should have thought of the possibility of the frog DNA allowing the dinosaur's genders to change. Other than that, not their fault for what went down on the island. Everything can be linked to an incompetent (John Hammond) and a disgruntled employee given too much power (Nedry).

16. Patman Bof

The fact that so much power was left to a single person to begin with is one of the mistakes I had in mind.

17. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Yeah, the fact the park's computer systems are left to two employees rather than, say, a hundred was the biggest reason for the crap that went down.

Speaking of which, if you analysis JP and JW it seems JW does the message of "science to play god is bad" better than JP.

18. Patman Bof

Looks like I don' t remember the movie as well as I thought I did. What gave, he stole the second key ? He hacked the whole thing ? Even took the time to leave a lovely gif to troll them ? Yeah, sounds real tight.[DOUBLEPOST=1417285623][/DOUBLEPOST]By the way, I stumbled upon an article written by a couple of French paleontologists, listing the discrepancies between what can be seen in the trailer and what we now know about those dinosaurs. Here' s the gist of it :

- The pack of lil' Ornithomimosaurs seen at the beginning is quite accurate. Like the T-Rex they' re from the Cretacic though, not the Jurassic.

- The Stegosaurus and the Diplodocus never coexisted.

- They' re a bit disappointed to once more see Diplodocuses everywhere considering the vast amount of species that never made it into the movies. Not to mention they have S shaped necks, which we now know were much straighter.

- The shark-eating creature is an aquatic reptile, not a dinosaur per se. Just like Pteranodons are flying reptiles, not dinosaurs. It' s probably inspired from the Mosasaurus, well known by American paleontologists since several of them have been found in the US. The biggest ones were 20 meters long, that one looks more like 40 meters long.

- Judging from its foot the unknown big baddie is of the Theropod family. Rumor says that one is albinos.

- No, Velociraptors can' t be tamed. And they had feathers, that much isn' t up to debate anymore. The third movie already took a step in that direction so this is a step back.

- Mosquitoes can' t pierce dinosaur skin, and there was no amber around back then.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  19. burnitup Still the Best 1973

So apparently the T-Rex from the first film is still alive and kicking in the new park. Most likely making it the oldest resident there.
    This should be good.
    Kay? I don't think the trailer ever said these dinosaurs were from the Jurassic period.
    Doesn't mean they can't be in the same area of the park. Plus, I think they may have been Apatosauruses.
    Again, I think they may have been Apatosauruses.
    It actually is a Mosasaurus.
    Pretty sure there is only one big bad dino for the movie. Which is a genetically engineered super predator they named Diabolus Rex. They were pretty much asking for trouble at that point.
    I would say it is too far out of the realm of reality that the raptors could be tamed. I mean, we can tame bears and lions. Why not raptors which are, in the context of Jurassic Park, pretty intelligent.

Plus, we know why they don't have feathers: frog DNA.
    SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF: BROKEN

20. Patman Bof

Dude, relax, they wrote that article for the sake of talking about actual paleontology.
    They' re actually excited about it, of course it' s just a ****ing movie. ^^

About that one though :
    They weren' t categoric on that one.
    What they said is that many have tried to tame lizards or reptiles across the board. Ever heard of someone who pulled it off ?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014