JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga' started by Bite the Dust, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Bite the Dust Traverse Town Homebody

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
    JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken
    (ジョジョの奇妙な冒険)​

Plot Summary:

Part 1 - Phantom Blood

This is where it all began. Phantom Blood tells the story of Jonathan Joestar and Dio Brando, two young men whose destinies are bound tightly together. During the late 19th Century in England, Dio Brando is adopted by the Joestar family after his father passes away under mysterious circumstances. Despite the kindness and hospitality he is shown by the Joestars, he plots to become the sole heir to its fortune. When Jonathan discovers his plot, Dio uses the ancient Stone Mask, a memento of Jonathan's late mother, to become a vampire. After a battle that leaves both of them greatly injured, Jonathan is found by Will A. Zeppeli, an Italian who has mastered the art of the Ripple (Also referred to as Hamon). Zeppeli guides Jonathan in the ways of the Ripple in order to combat Dio and destroy the Stone Mask.

Part 2 - Battle Tendency

50 years after Phantom Blood, Battle Tendency follows the story of Jonathan's grandson, Joseph Joestar. In 1938, Joseph encounters a race of super vampires referred to as the "Pillar Men". In order to combat this new threat, he trains under the tutelage of the mysterious Ripple Master Lisa Lisa to master the Art of the Ripple alongside Caesar A. Zeppeli, Will's own grandson. They must defeat the creators of the Stone Mask before they can complete it and conquer all life.

Part 3 - Stardust Crusaders

50 years after Battle Tendency, Stardust Crusaders is about Jotaro Kujo, the Japanese grandson of Joseph Joestar, and his battle against an enemy from the past. Together, the two of them travel to Egypt to confront this enemy with the power of their Stands, manifestations of their life energy that stand by them. Throughout their travels, they meet both friends and foes alike who also possess these Stands. This enemy must be stopped before his plots can come to fruition.

Part 4 - Diamond is Unbreakable (Also translated as Diamond is Not Crash)

Taking place 10 years after Jotaro Kujo's journey to Egypt, Diamond is Unbreakable follows Josuke Higashikata (The kanji for 'suke' can be read as 'Jo'), the illegitimate son of Joseph and the uncle of Jotaro Kujo. In the peaceful town of Morioh, there lurks someone who's dark and twisted desires drives him to murder beautiful, young women. Josuke and his friends must find him and put an end to his horrible crimes before another one bites the dust. While all of this is happening, they must also find a special arrow that grants Stands to whomever it pierces.

This part is famously known for a scanlation dubbed the 'DUWANG Scanlation' which is the source of many memes within the fandom

Part 5 - Vento Aureo (It means 'Golden Wind' in Italian)

In 2001, 2 years after Diamond is Unbreakable, the 15 year old son of the enemy of Part 3, Haruno Shiobana, is living his life in Italy. When he moved to Italy, he changed his name to Giorno Giovanna. There, he strives to make his dream of becoming a Gang Star a reality. To that end, he joins the mafia group 'Passione' and plots to overthrow the boss, unknown to all of its members. He hopes that once he becomes the boss, Giorno can make the mafias beneficial to society.

Part 6 - Stone Ocean

Set in 2011, Stone Ocean follows the story of Jolyne Kujo, the daughter of Jotaro Kujo. At the tender age of 19, Jolyne is sent to the Green Dolphin Street Prison after being arrested and convicted for murder. It is there that she finally meets with her estranged father. Using a fragment of a Stand-creating arrow, he is able to give his daughter a Stand. However, his own Stand, as well as his memories, are stolen during his visit to GDSP by the mysterious Stand, Whitesnake. She must overcome her differences with her father and save him before it is too late.

Part 7 - Steel Ball Run

Back in the late 19th Century, in an Alternate Universe, the Steel Ball Run is ready to start. The titular event is a transcontinental horse race that takes place in North America, where the grand prize is a whopping $50 million. The paraplegic and former prodigy jockey Johnny Joestar enters the race to learn about the Spin from Gyro Zeppeli, hoping that the Spin will allow him to regain the use of his legs. However, throughout the course of the Steel Ball Run, darker secrets about the race begin to reveal themselves.

Part 8 - Jojolion

The currently on-going story, Jojolion takes place in 2011, after the events of the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami. All over the town of Morioh, mysterious protrusions called Wall Eyes appeared from the ground. One fateful day, a girl named Yasuho Hirose stumbles upon a young man buried underneath one of the Wall Eyes. This man, the protagonist of the story, has no memories of who he is or what he was doing before being found by Yasuho. It is only known that this young man has four testicles and the power of a Stand. Later on, this mystery man is adopted by the Higashikata family and named Josuke. He is determined find out who he is and why he was buried underneath the Wall Eyes.

Genre: Seinen (Formerly Shounen), Supernatural, Action, Adventure
    Series Creator: Hirohiko Araki
    Created: 1987
    Chapters: 871 and counting
    Episodes: Currently 26 (+13 OVA episodes)
    Animation: David Productions, Kamikaze Douga (OP sequences), Studio A.P.P.P. (OVAs)
    Writers: Yasuko Kobayashi, Kenichi Takashima (OVA), Takao Kawaguchi (OVA), Satoshi Kon (OVA), Hiroyuki Kitakubo (OVA)
    Seasons: 1 so far
    Personal Rating: 10/10

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure on TV Tropes Spoilers in Link. Click at your own discretion.
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Wiki Spoilers in Link. Click at your own discretion.
    Watch the 2012 Anime at LoveMyAnime.net
    Read each part at Batoto.net

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is a great series that I recommend everyone should watch/read. It embraces it's own hamminess and cranks it up to eleven. Everything that is done, from talking to walking, is completely exaggerated. After all, why talk when you can shout? Why stand when you can pose? Why walk when you can leap? It is over the top in a manner that is endearing.

While this series is without a doubt exaggerated, it is also incredibly creative. The author's creativity especially shines from part 3 and onwards. Even in the first two parts, he was incredibly creative with the kind of weapons utilized. Who would think to weaponize wine? Or bubbles? Or clackers? He can even take powers that would be deemed useless in combat and creatively find use for them in a fight. Let's take Crazy Diamond from Part 4 for an example. It's ability is to 'Restore things'. Naturally, you would think it would be useless in a fight since it heals and restores. However, by exploiting the fact it can restore something, it can destroy a box and the restore it back to how it was before, trapping someone inside in the process. And that's just one example of many in the series. The creativity in this series is simply inspiring.

Another aspect of this series that really draws me to it is the ever-evolving art style. Comparing art from Part 1 to art from Part 8 is night and day. The original art style was inspired by Fist of the North Star, and it carried through to Part 3 and early Part 4. However, during Part 4 is when he came into his own style. The now famous "JoJo Art Style". His art evolved even further when JoJo changed from a weekly manga to a monthly one. With this, he has even more time to add in all of the details he wants. Even his use of color is completely out there. No one in the series has a consistent color scheme. This is even exemplified in the anime, where one moment a character can have black hair, and the next they are blonde. I absolutely love it!

With the release of the 2012 Anime and 2013 Fighting Game, the amazing voice acting brings all of the characters to life. And they all take the character and run with it. Takehito Koyasu, the voice of Dio Brando as well as hundreds upon hundreds of other characters in anime, perfectly brings the character's over-the-top mannerisms and arrogance to life. He even brings to life Dio's iconic 'WRRRYYYYY!' cry. Of course, there are many, many, many, MANY, more voice actors that just bring so much life and energy to the characters. With an All-Star cast including Daisuke Ono (Erwin Smith from Shingeki no Kyojin, Shintaro Midorima from Kuroko no Basuke, and Shizuo Heiwajima from Durarara!!), Tomokazu Sugita (Gintoki Sakata from GinTama, Kyon from Haruhi Suzumiya, and Ragna the Bloodedge from BlazBlue), Rikiya Koyama (Shinigami-sama/Lord Death from Soul Eater, Hideo Kuze from Ghost in the Shell, and Coyote Starrk from Bleach), and Toshiyuki Morikawa (Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII, Dante from Devil May Cry Anime, and Eneru/Enel from One Piece), all of the characters are perfectly brought to life. You cannot deny that these voices are amazing.

All in all, reading/watching this series is a bizarre adventure that is definitely worth taking.

How many of you in this forum have heard, read, or watched this series?

2. PirateNinjaHanyou Traverse Town Homebody

Unfortunately, I haven't read/watch as much JJBA as I wish I had. I've read parts 1 and2 and watched the anime while it was airing- pretty good adaption, I'd say. Those sound effects and vibrant colors. But out of what I've been exposed to, it's pretty good. One of these days, I'll read more of the manga. I've been wanting to for quite a while, I've just never gotten around to it. Especially Stardust Crusaders, I've heard LOTS of good things about that part, especially.

Regardless, it's still the most fabulous and pose-tastic anything I've ever so much as knew existed.

3. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

I've been reading JoJo for the past decade , and is by far my favorite manga (it is also one of my guilty plasures), I've seen all the episodes also, but the OVAs kind bored me so I skiped them.
    My favorite Jojo is Joseph(and Joalyne!), the one I dislike the most is Jousuke (that is back again >_>...).

I kind think Jonathan and Jotaro to be "The Superman expected by that era", when Jojo was first out the ideal protagonist was Jonathan(I like him better as Johnny), just like Jotaro is a bad boy that was expected by his time... unfurtunetly for them Joseph was in the middle of them, the most awesome Jojo!
    Jousuke is just dull.. Kira was far more interesting than him (Maybe thats why Araki did what he did at Jojolion).

4. Barakon-King Traverse Town Homebody

[​IMG]

5. CrownMoksha Decimo

Just the few episodes I've seen have got me interested in it. It's defiantly on the upper part of my anime/manga to watch/read list

6. cstar stay away from my waifu

AHA. AHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh man, this was definitely one of those manga/animes I did NOT expect to get into. I thought I'd watch it once because Beema and TB wouldn't stop talking about it.

I don't know what happened but OH MAN WAS I WRONG.

Finished what we have of the anime so far, I'm still in Stardust Crusaders, but I'm still reading it. Does this count as a guilty pleasure? Should I feel guilty? I have no idea.

7. Bite the Dust Traverse Town Homebody

Bumping this thread with the announcement that a Part 3 anime has been confirmed. Promo has been added to the first post.

[​IMG]

8. Jin うごかないで

Part 1's anime was honestly boring but Part 2 was wow. I've read the manga up past part 3 but Part 2 is honestly my favourite originally giorno was my favourite protag but Joseph in the animated version was so hilarious

9. Oblivion Keeper Banned

I've been reading it lately and have gotten to Stardust Crusaders but the quality of the scans I've seen are really low and I just stopped. I want to get back into it though. Haven't watched the anime yet unfortunately.

10. Jin うごかないで

Yeah you have to remember; this is a series from before even DBZ was even publishing as a manga. this was alongside FOTNS I believe along with one other I can't remember. Watch the anime it's honestly brilliant phantom blood isn't the best animated adaption but battle tendancy is just AMAZING I absolutely love caesar and joseph.

11. Oblivion Keeper Banned

I've heard this manga was the inspiration for almost all fighting characters in most games. Out of curiosity where does everyone read it? If I can't find better scans I might just have to bite the bullet and start reading this weirdly formatted ones.

12. Jin うごかないで

I personally read it at

http://www.batoto.net/

set the language to english and you're all set. this is just a hosting site some of the scan's are done by redrawing out and some are lazy. It depends on which one you choose but batoto gives you a variety of scans for the same manga. happy reading.

and honestly yes. It's what inspired DBZ's ginyu force really because the manga's main focus and gag for the most part believe it or not; is posing. it's combat is amazing and is an amazing manga. I've been reading one of the author's disciples works which is called Illegal rare I recommend it.

13. Bite the Dust Traverse Town Homebody

I've left a link at the bottom of the OP to a site where you can read scanlations of the Series. Thankfully, the Parts with horrible scans have been getting re-scanned and translated, though you will have to deal with a few chapters of them. Part 4 is the closest to being completely retranslated, though I do ask that you at least give a read through of the DUWANG scans, as the fans have dubbed them, because it is a source of great humor and memes throughout the JoJo fandom.

And yes, this manga has inspired its fair share of fighting game characters. Most notably, the greatest American hero, Guile, was inspired by the greatest Nazi soldier, Rudolf von Stroheim. Lisa Lisa from the same Part as Stroheim also inspired a Street Fighter character, Rose. She even has a move in which she uses her scarf to support herself as she kicks her enemy. On top of that, the main protagonist from Part 6 of the series, Jolyne, was the basis for Juri from Street Fighter 4.

14. Jin うごかないで

Honestly I wish redhawk scans picked the series up but they're so occupied now with more of the magazine series' such as FT and Seven deadly sins they don't bother with series' which get scanned by a lot of people sometimes they can be really off schedule but they do an amazing job with redraws and clean up for example look at the raw versions of Illegal rare then look at the redhawkscans version of it not to bash any other scanlators but redhawk are one of the best of their time imo and I wish they'd do JJBA as a side project

15. Oblivion Keeper Banned

Does that link go to the DUWANG scans? I'd be interested in reading basis of memes and such.

16. Jin うごかないで

it goes to batoto.net the same link I posted just a moment ago it posts mostly every scan chapter for every scanalator within their sections of course you have to set the language settings to english otherwise you'll get things such as russian scanalators in the mix which gets confusing

17. Oblivion Keeper Banned

Might be a good way to learn Russian. Alright then thank you. I am definitely looking forward to going forward in my reading JoJo.

18. Jin うごかないで

Happy reading. Also make sure you click the right part for what you're on obviously you said stardust crusader part 3 because batoto splits them into individual parts some have all the chapters strung together I've seen sites with like 300 page chapters strung together if that make sense

19. Bite the Dust Traverse Town Homebody

Bumping this thread to inform those of you that care about JoJo that Viz Media has officially announced that they are releasing the Phantom Blood manga starting next year in the month of February. Yes, you can own an official copy of JoJo's Bizarre Adventures in proper English. On top of that, they are reprinting the entirety of their Stardust Crusaders translation, which means you can also get your hands on the manga volumes for a reasonable price.

And yes, they are going to be releasing it as "JoJo's Bizarre Adventures" over here in the States.