Is it right for a Girl to pay for the date?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Rissy, May 22, 2009.

1. Rissy Queen of the Clouds

I was thinking about this when I asked my boyfriend to go to the movies with me this Monday, since school has a Day Off for Memorial Day.
    I asked one of my friends, and she said that it's more traditional for the guy to pay; but if the time calls for it, then she would pay.

What do you think?

2. jafar custom title

I think that, although it is gentleman-like for a guy to pay for the date, it isn't really necessary. Especially if it is a really expensive date, unless he insists on it, don't make him pay for the whole thing. Society is different today and it makes the girl seem like a real princess if she makes it so that the boyfriend has to pay for everything.

3. Styx That's me inside your head.

I don't think it should matter what's more "traditional". It'd be silly to just call it off if the guy doesn't have any money with him and the girl refuses to pay.
    Of course, if the guy wants to be a gentleman, don't flatly refuse or insist you pay for your own. He probably loves being generous to the girl he likes so let him be it.

4. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

I hear the Stone Age is lovely, enjoy living there.

Is it right to always expect the dude to pay instead?

No.

Really I think that both should contribute towards it, women can't be all like "OMG EQUAL RIGHTS RAWR" and then in the next breath ***** about the fact their boyfriends didn't pay for them on a date.

I think your friend needs to modernise.

5. SplitOverload Chaser

I think a man should pay for the date all the time =]

6. jafar custom title

Good thing you're a homosexual.

7. Rissy Queen of the Clouds

It might seem polite for the man to pay, but it isn't exactly the Stone Age that is like that.

But from statistics, if one of the partners pay fully; it makes the relationship last longer.
    But paying half the date seems like it's only a friendly meeting, not a real 'date.'

8. Scott Pilgrim Banned

I don't think it matters either way. Though it may be "customary" for the guy to pay for the date and it might look a bit cheap to the girl if he weren't to pay for it in the eyes of today, I find it only just to split the cost of say movie tickets or a dinner.

9. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

Would you be willing to pay his share as well as yours then in that case?

How about you take in turns, you pay this one, he pays the next one. That way it is still shared, but fits your statistics of one person paying fully.

Thought I imagine statistics show that because one of the couple would be a walkover and the other would be money grabbing <:

10. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

It is a courteous move on part of the guy to pay for the date.

Then again, my philosophy on stuff like this is that women are completely and totally equal to men socially. Suffrage was a great movement and I support that and think that women should be equal to men, and that includes the negative parts of society as well as the positive.

11. Rissy Queen of the Clouds

The sharing seems rather better, but my boyfriend seems to disagree.
    He keeps saying no. ><

Oh well; I'll just pay for him anyway. :>

Thanks, hon. <3

12. childofturin Why?

I would say that it would be better, especially in the economy of today (temporary though it may be), to not make the guy pay all of it, especially if it's expensive. Now, if the guy wants to pay, let him. Or, if the girl wants to pay (I know, shocking, right?), let her.

13. T3F Chaser

No. absolutely not. Although its very nice for him to pay for the date I dont think he has to. Girls can pay for the date.

14. Spitfire I'm a little high, and a little drunk.

Girls who expect that are sleezy, especially if they are the ones saying that we should go out and do something. Thats just a nicer way of saying buy me something. But I see no problem with a girl paying for stuff as well, I had a girlfriend who had payed for more of my stuff then I had of hers.

If women have money now compared to when they didn't work, they should be able to use that money instead of men always having to pay.

15. SplitOverload Chaser

wait who are you again?

16. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

I always prefer it that way because then you feel like you are contributing too and I like that.

Relationships are about two people, plus I always feel guilty when guys pay.

Have fun on your date <3

17. Pezz Kingdom Keeper

Everybody has pretty much said it all. In this day and age, it really shouldn't matter who pays.

18. Inasuma "pumpkin"

If it were up to me I'd not pay every date. I'd pay every other date in order to keep a balance.

Unless I really liked her or wanted to get in her pants or she had no cash, then I'd have to pay every time. <:

19. fadedphantom King's Apprentice

This is the 21st century. The girl or the guy can pay.

I personally like the whole "splitting the bill" idea, but for some reason some guys don't seem to like that... which is strange, since it means that they'll save money. I think they feel like it's the guy's "duty" to pay or something like that. It's not.

20. Destined Working for WDW

If it's just a friendly get together, then it's perfectly fine for either or to pay / split the bill. My logic is this, if the guy asks the girl out, then the guy should pay. If the girl asks the guy out then the girl should take the initiative, even if the guy tries his damndest to, and pay since that individual was the one that decided upon the activity.

Saying this, I still pay.