Interpretations

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Amaury, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

So, this is something @Makaze and I got into a conversation about because I had asked him why he chose to disable his gender and age from public display. Here's the conversation we had:

What are your guys' general opinions on this particular subject? Discuss.

2. Fellangel Bichael May

I think it makes sense. The world we live in is a very biased and full of stereotypes. If someone doesn't wish to put out their gender or age due to their discomfort on how people respond to them, it should be a legitimate reason. The internet is not a very nice place.

Take for example a girl on an online fourm website. Many would assume she would go to a fourm best fitted for females, talk in a specific manner with many smilies and emoticons, and the list goes. If they do the complete opposite, two things pop in out minds. Either the girl has FAR different tastes or it's not a girl but a guy.

I met many females online that have themselves listed as males because they don't feel comfortable in a society where it's male dominated. It's very understandable. If a girl speaks up just a little in an online game aimed towards males, the room goes crazy over the girl. That's unwanted attention and may are not comfortable with that.

I know it seems I'm aimed towards mostly the female audience, but the internet is very biased against females. They assume all they do is listen to boy bands, talk on the phone for hours, and insert any other female personality trait here. That will go into a person's opinion when that girl decides to make a simple comment or a response to anything. Stereotypes are bad and we as a society should learn to stop ourselves from assuming everything because it leaves bad impressions and probably even worse.

3. mindy lover Destiny Islands Resident

Also agreed. I recently got into a heated convo with somone about my sexuality. They told me that being a demisexual isnt an actual sexuality when i fact it is. I struggled a lit as a kid not knowing who.or what i liked. I mean i alwayd thought i was asexual but it wasnt until recsntly that i realized that i was a demisexual which is closley linked with being asexual.

It took 19years of my life to figure that out. So i embrace my sexuality ans look at my self differently now. When i foujd myself this made sense so for someoje to say mybsexuality didnt exist or that anyone could be a demisexual kind of killed me.

So yeah. Arguements shouldnt include age sex or sexuality.

4. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I'm sure I've discussed this with you in the past but my gender is hidden because I don't feel it appropriately describes me as a person. To just say that I'm 'Male' doesn't tell you anything about me. It won't tell you that I like girly things, or that I prefer to be called a Madame (inside joke). Just saying I'm 'Male' would cause most to assume that I like watching sports, drinking beer, getting in fights, and big trucks ... while actually I prefer playing some sport, drinking wine coolers occasionally, preventing fights, and small economical cars. You knowing I'm a 'Male' doesn't let you know a single thing about me besides the fact I have a Y chromosome.

As for my age, that doesn't really bother me. I do tend to dislike anyone who decides that they know more than me because they've been on this planet just a little longer than I have. I suppose that's just a need for proving dominance in some way though. I had a guy tell me he's been working on cars for years in an attempt to prove his dominance ... I asked him if he's ever disassembled and reassembled a computer, wiped the hard drive, and fresh installed an OS. Suffice it to say, he quit running his mouth. It's not about age, it's about experience.

-Nights

5. Sokhu Merlin's Housekeeper

Well, that depends on the person who read your details.

I agree that it plays a big part, when you talk to someone maybe you're more attracted to a certain age and tend to speak more to those persons rather than other. Same goes for the gender. But I don't think it's a bad thing, I mean it's nice to know a bit who is the person we're talking to, where does she/he lives, how old is she/he. That is just information about our Human side, that helps us to think that you're not just an electronic message on a forum. It gives you a life.

I agree, however, that is it not mandatory so obviously people choose to display their age/sex or not.

People do what they want as long as they don't bother anyone. I am quoting a teacher I had during Highschool, '' Your freedom stops where starts others' one. ''
    I will always give some information about my age, sex, and sexuality, i don't mind. If haters there is [ and there will always be ], well I done nothing wrong and they don't interest me so I ignore.

You can't be paranoid everytime, you need to let people to get to know you if you want relationships, friendships.

6. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

How do those details let them get to know who you are?

Seems to me they describe what you are. Like what kind of profession you have or where you hometown is.

7. mindy lover Destiny Islands Resident

I so agree with this. You can label a person all day and still not know who they are.