Support Solved Inconsistent Rendering Time with Windows Movie Maker

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Amaury, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amaury Legendary Hero

Lately, I've been having inconsistent rendering / saving time with Windows Movie Maker.

For example, I have a 20-minute video rendering now, and it's at 36% with 15 minutes remaining. However, earlier I was doing 20-minute~ videos, and at 1%, there were 10 minutes remaining, and one was even 22~ minutes.

I've come up with two theories, but I don't think they'd be it:
    • After the automatic AVG scan, the duration doubles
    • Earlier I had 42~ GB of space available, and now I have 38~ GB available, and somehow hard drive space affects rendering time

It should also be noted that all the videos are from the same thing before I broke the two-hour and 26-minute video (The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning) into 20-minute~ parts.

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

Any ideas, guys?

Something I've noticed is that it takes longer the longer the computer is on. For example, right now I have a 25-minute~ video at 30% with eight minutes remaining, and last night I had 15 and 20-minute videos taking about 20 and 30 minutes to render.

3. Misty gimme kiss

It's never going to be an exact science and there are frankly way too many factors that would affect rendering time. Unless it's unreasonable (like taking hours for a short video) then don't worry about it.

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

Thanks, Misty. The highest it takes is around 30 minutes, and the only time it's taken longer, though it was usually no longer than an hour, was back in the days when I uploaded videos that were an hour or more -- one was a little over four hours.

But just out of curiosity, what other factors are there?

Edit: Do you think it'd improve a little whenever we get around to upgrading my RAM?

5. Misty gimme kiss

RAM wouldn't do much. Video rendering is primarily handled by the CPU, with acceleration by the GPU if you set it up that way (but that's not the case for you).

6. Amaury Legendary Hero

This area, correct?

upload_2014-5-27_17-14-21.png

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

@Misty, I'm going to make a wild guess and say this was related to the broken cooling unit, which was fixed a few days ago as you know.

Just like processing videos has gone faster, so has saving them, and the saving time among videos of about the same length is now more consistent, which makes sense, going back to what you said here:

Saving (or rendering) times were worse by night because the CPU was likely hotter at that point due to the malfunctioning cooling unit. It didn't really hit me until now, though, that the problems I was having for those few days were likely the cause.

You may lock this. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.