Traditional Art Improvement

Discussion in 'Arts & Graphics' started by Luminey, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Luminey Twilight Town Denizen

Here are some of my Improvement pieces. The Jeni one was entered in the recent contest.

[​IMG]

Line art and bigger version of the New drawing
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somehow when I made this image I forgot all the ruffles on shirt in the new drawing. So here's the fullview of the final drawing.
    [​IMG]

If you would like to see more of my art, go check out my DeviantArt.

2. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

First of all, I feel I should congratulate you or something. You've made massive progress. That shows that you put some effort in, you are trying and seeing results for it. It's just great.

Now my actual critique. Not gonna bother with the old ones, you've already fixed what you had to from then. So your Megami character art is still the most solid piece here. Mostly because it's simple and clean. It's not very ambitious but what it attempts to do it does. The only problem here is you've got a few relative scaling issues in the sense that her arm is just too large. It's simply to long and thick in relation to her legs and body. Not quite as noticeable as some things might be but if you simply rotate that arm around you'll see that it doesn't fit. So I'd suggest you check your scaling in the future.

Now this year's entry you've got is a lot more ambitious than the above character, but it really shows. You're not completely comfortable with foreshortening and your scaling issues follow through into this piece as well. So you're weak points still lie in anatomy, but it's definitely some of the more complicated points of it. My advice here is to just look at professional art, tutorials or real people. They know what's up, they get all these things more often than not. Don't learn anatomy from manga or action comics, though. They both will only teach you bad habits.

Final note, foreshortening can be difficult if you're not shading as you can see by the fact that your colored version is a bit nice than your lineart, but at the same time you should still probably do a few pages of studies on perspective. That dumb sphere drawing that I still can't get right. That's a place to start.