Idaho Rep. supports "faith-healing" parents

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Boy Wonder, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Christy+Perry+Faith-healing

Idaho Rep. John Gannon wants to narrow a loophole to permit prosecution of parents who rely on faith-healing "whenever a child's medical condition may cause death or permanent disability."

Rep. Christy Perry, however, says that the proposed ban violates the religious rights and First Amendment rights of parents.

The talk is coming after a recent string of "preventable child deaths" among members of the Followers of Christ Church.

When it comes to politics, I try to inform as unbiased as possible before expressing my position so hopefully using lmgtfy would help with that.

2. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Coming from someone who is actually religious, I find this to be beyond stupid. Whenever ANYONE let alone a child needs medical attention, it should be given to them through any means necessary. Anyone who lets their child die via some test of faith, or "if so and so is meant to live they will" then yes, they should get jail time.

My question is (to anyone who thinks this is okay/would do it themselves), who is to say that God wants you to do 'x' or 'y'. Choosing to let your child die UNLESS a miracle happens is just plain stupid. What's worse is if they die or not it most likely just confirms their (delusion in this case).

Child dies > "I guess he/she was meant to die"
    Child lives > "Its a miracle yay"

......there is so much wrong with that.

tl;dr

Let the medical professionals do their jobs, and if you want to pray for whomever is sick, go for it. Don't gamble with people's lives.

3. Patman Bof

If atheists can go to jail for not doing it then anyone should go to jail for not doing it.
    You do not own your children, you' re their tutors. And I' m afraid sanity is not optional, religious or not.
    Next.

4. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

How big do you wanna bet the overlap is between these people and anti-vaxxers?

5. Hiro ✩ Guardian

I hear that. I still don't get how some people are defending anti-vaxxers

6. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

There really isn't much of any sound logic behind not get any kind of vaccination. *shrugs* I just don't get people sometimes.

7. Patman Bof

Actually there can be. But yeah in this case their concerns have long been debunked.

8. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Yeah, there are people who are medically unable to be vaccinated. But unless you are one of those people, yeah, you have no excuse.

9. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

I am aware of this, however most cases are not.

10. Laurence_Fox Chaser

The whole reason that anti-vaccination is a thing is because somewhere there was a fraudulent report published in 1998 stating that child vaccines(specifically the MMR one. That is the Measles, Mumps, and Rubella) may lead to autism. Despite numerous claims to the contrary since that point by numerous organizations, despite medical professionals saying there is no link to childhood vaccinations and autism, people still cite this one report.

And, oh hey, we have a measles outbreak today. Imagine that.

[ further reading about the MMR vaccine controversy ]

But to the topic of the OP. I think this is stupid. I do not know how a parent can refuse to do anything to help their children. You decided to have this child. They are dependent on you. It is on your hands if you refuse to do anything to help them when there is the means available to do so.

You know what that's called? We call that murder and child neglect/abuse.

This reminds of a girl around here a couple years back that died because her parents refused to seek medical treatment for her. Electing to pray over her instead. She died of an easily treatable form of diabetes. All she needed was regular insulin injections.

It just boggles my mind that people can be so selfish. I don't use that word very often but in this situation I believe it's called for.

11. Cloud3514 Kingdom Keeper

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    It's one thing if you reject treatment for yourself based on religious beliefs. It's your right to be stupid like that. However, like all rights, your right to practice your religion does not give you the right to directly cause someone else harm, even if it is your own child. Denying treatment of your child based on your religious beliefs is neglectful.

There's a reason I fully concur with Bill Nye's view that religion should not be taught to children. If they choose to seek it out when they are older, that is their right, but it is wrong to force a child to follow your beliefs.

12. Patman Bof

I dunno, I was taught religion as a child. While I did call myself a catholic up until I was, idk, 18 or something, to be perfectly honest I' ve never truly believed in God. The whole thing looked as ludicrous to me as Santa from the word go. I gave Him a chance, but never got my St Thomas moment.

But then I was already ten years old the first time my parents mentioned it, and my dad is an atheist. My mum never ever brings up God in any conversation, so I wouldn' t describe my experience as full force indoctrination. Catechism did qualify as indoctrination though, and yeah, I am a bit pissed about that, but in the end reason prevailed and it gave me some insight into religious thinking, so ...

Besides, first amendment and all, watcha gonna do ? Religious beliefs aren' t the only kind that can be pushed on a kid. You have to step up when you have proof said beliefs are a problem. I' d say kids corpses qualify hands down.

13. Patman Bof

Bump ! Meanwhile in Germany ...

This is glorious. xD